Why do I keep watching??????

cybok0

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Sha Ka Ree.
I often wonder why I continue to record every Pirate game when they most likely will lose. Granted Alvarez, Lincoln and Tabata is with the team now but they can't help as long as this team keeps having s**tty pitchers and terrible management and owners.

Marc Cuban should come home and buy the Pirates.

I often wonder why I continue to record every Pirate game when they most likely will lose. Granted Alvarez, Lincoln and Tabata is with the team now but they can't help as long as this team keeps having s**tty pitchers and terrible management and owners.

Marc Cuban should come home and buy the Pirates.

Keep the faith cybok. :)

I know I know easy for a non Pirate fan to say.

I have experience with having your heart invested in teams that finish last year after year.

I've been a Braves fan since 1969.

NL West Divison Title in 1969
NL West Divison Title in 1982

Absolute dregs in between 1970-1981.

Terrible from 1983-1990

You have some nice young talent and a Top 5 Ballpark.

Hopefully things will change because the fans of long suffering franchises Should be able to enjoy a full blown Pennant Race from time to time.

Nothing better, makes all the bad times bearable.

I once read in one of the late Ron Luciano's books where he told of this older woman who had attended every Braves game for many years (in a time when they were consistently struggling. She said the best thing in life was following a winning baseball team, when asked what the second best thing in life was she said following a losing baseball team. I always admired that attitude. I'm sure the Pirate players appreciate your support.

I have experience with having your heart invested in teams that finish last year after year.

Terrible from 1983-1990

Hopefully things will change because the fans of long suffering franchises Should be able to enjoy a full blown Pennant Race from time to time.

Somehow your trying to make Cy feel better, but FAILED MISERABLY to mention the 14 straight DIVISION TITLES, somehow I don't think Cy is believing you. :(

Cy would be thrilled with the Pirates having two winning seasons back to back, maybe even ONE.

Atlanta did not have 14 straight division titles

Montreal was the division leader in 1994 until Bud killed that season ;)

Atlanta did not have 14 straight division titles

Montreal was the division leader in 1994 until Bud killed that season ;)

Really ?
I always thought they always talked about how Atlanta had won so many Division titles in a row as some kind of record.

OK, so it was 13 .....

Does that really make the Pirates fan feel any better .... :rolleyes: :D

Really ?
I always thought they always talked about how Atlanta had won so many Division titles in a row as some kind of record.
because since the 94 season wasnt completed apparently all personal records exist but the team ones dont :rolleyes:

OK, so it was 13 .....
91-93
95-05

Does that really make the Pirates fan feel any better .... :rolleyes: :D
probably not but ya never know. The Twins went though some lean times after winning the 91 WS :)

because since the 94 season wasnt completed apparently all personal records exist but the team ones dont :rolleyes:

91-93
95-05

probably not but ya never know. The Twins went though some lean times after winning the 91 WS :)

I think we have all been there , the Tigers have not won it since '84, at least they have been competitive of late.

Somehow your trying to make Cy feel better, but FAILED MISERABLY to mention the 14 straight DIVISION TITLES, somehow I don't think Cy is believing you. :(

Cy would be thrilled with the Pirates having two winning seasons back to back, maybe even ONE.
I think he was trying to make him feel that things can turn around. You just have to keep hope.

I remember those dark days of the 80's for Atlanta (last place 5 out of 6 years, and the non-last place was 1 game ahead of last place).
Every day, at 7:35pm, my dad would send me outside to adjust that outside antenna to pick up WTBS (he didn't get cable in our area til 1990). We were on the southern tip of the reception area, and aiming for channel 17 was "fun". But he made sure we watched every match.

He used to joke that the Braves would always snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. He was also a huge Dale Murphy fan. I had several #3 shirts back then.

The first season finale of Star Trek: TNG even made fun of the Braves. A southerner from the 20th century was thawed out and when he saw a video monitor he asked Data, "Hey, how do you turn on the tube? I wanna see how the Braves are doing, probably still finding ways to lose".
You know you've hit rock bottom when Star Trek is making fun of you.

So keep up the faith cybok, one day they'll turn things around. That is if Sid Bream isn't there to stop you. ;)
theslide.jpg

Last edited:
I think he was trying to make him feel that things can turn around. You just have to keep hope.

I remember those dark days of the 80's for Atlanta (last place 5 out of 6 years, and the non-last place was 1 game ahead of last place).
Every day, at 7:35pm, my dad would send me outside to adjust that outside antenna to pick up WTBS (he didn't get cable in our area til 1990). We were on the southern tip of the reception area, and aiming for channel 17 was "fun". But he made sure we watched every match.

He used to joke that the Braves would always snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. He was also a huge Dale Murphy fan. I had several #3 shirts back then.

The first season finale of Star Trek: TNG even made fun of the Braves. A southerner from the 20th century was thawed out and when he saw a video monitor he asked Data, "Hey, how do you turn on the tube? I wanna see how the Braves are doing, probably still finding ways to lose".

So keep up the faith cybok, one day they'll turn things around. That is if Sid Bream isn't there to stop you. ;)
theslide.jpg

I remember the old antenna days,
A little more to the right , little more, OK thats good, DON'T MOVE !!!
This happened more with the rabbit ears in our household.

We eventually put up a large tower and even got a rotor for it :D

Use to put up a BIG STAR on the tower every Christmas !

As for the ST TNG, I thought I had seen every episode, my memory is getting faint from time to time .... I probably have seen it, just don't recall this morning.

More thick headed nonsense, the 1991 Pennant Race in and of itself outweighed all the bad. Pirates probably aren't going to be Perrenial Contenders.

That being said though I was just pointing out that teams with sorry histories can indeed rise up and compete occassionally.

Just a pennant race where the Games in late September mean something would do the Pittsburgh Market wonders.

They have a beautiful ballpark one of my favorites that I've been in which is 20+ current MLB Stadiums. They have some young talent. Hopefully it turns around.

Last edited:

Terrible from 1983-1990

Thanks but 17 years of losing in a row makes things just seem bad for the future.

theslide.jpg

I remember the old antenna days,
A little more to the right , little more, OK thats good, DON'T MOVE !!!
This happened more with the rabbit ears in our household.

We eventually put up a large tower and even got a rotor for it :D

Use to put up a BIG STAR on the tower every Christmas !

As for the ST TNG, I thought I had seen every episode, my memory is getting faint from time to time .... I probably have seen it, just don't recall this morning.

Funny how both of you are Braves fans and the last year the Pirates had a winning season they lost to the Braves.

I always thought Bonds is to the Pirates as Ruth was to the Red Sox.

theslide.jpg

As a Baseball fan, that was a where were you moment, I was in college watching that game, pretty amazing comeback, there was always talk if Barry Bonds gave it his all with that throw

As a Baseball fan, that was a where were you moment, I was in college watching that game, pretty amazing comeback, there was always talk if Barry Bonds gave it his all with that throw
I was in college too, when the "Slowest Man in Baseball" sent the Braves to the World Series.

I was going to Ga Tech (in downtown Atlanta) at the time, and all the sudden a bunch of friends came over to my dorm room, and we drank much beer in celebration. The goal posts on Grant Field did not survive the evening (good thing we didn't have a home game that coming weekend).

I remember the game was on a Thursday, because I couldn't make it to Friday's classes due to the celebrating the night before. :D

Marlins fire Fredi Gonzalez

WHO are these San Diego Padres??!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)