Why 3 LNBs?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bigcat

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2005
Folks,

Do you guys know if the middle LNB (in the triple LNB dish) is really needed for HD? Do you know which channels that one gets?

I know for regular programming, it's used for some markets local channels, not sure what part of HD it gets.

Thanks

...but how are 3-LNBs connected?

I currently have a dual-LNB going in to a multi-switch.
The multi-swicth accepts 2-LNBs and an OTA and outputs to 3 receivers.

DirecTV is coming TODAY to install HDTV. That is, I am getting a new triple LNB Dish and one new DirecTv HD receiver.

Seems to me that they would have to replace my multi-switch with something bigger that accepts 3-LNBs plus an OTA.

Has anyone else done this upgrade? What can I excpect?

DirecTV has three TPs on the 110 sat, 28, 30 & 32. They are frequency shifted to 8, 10, & 12 by a special LNB and then combined with the even TPs on 119 using a combiner. This combination is input on the sat B 18v side of the multiswitch. Of course, this is all integrated in the LNB/multiswitch assembly on the new Phase III oval dish. You can add a cascading multiswitch to all four lines from the integrated switch to get more than 4 outputs. Here's the FAQ on this stuff on the TiVo community fourm site. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=55509

huh? How many cables come out of the Triple LNB?
I only have 2 LNB inputs on the switch. If there are 3 cables coming out of the new triple-LNB dish, I have a problem.

I also read that the dish has a built in multi-switch? Does this impliy it's a triple-LNB with only two cables out?

FlyingSaucer said:
huh? How many cables come out of the Triple LNB?
I only have 2 LNB inputs on the switch. If there are 3 cables coming out of the new triple-LNB dish, I have a problem.

I also read that the dish has a built in multi-switch? Does this impliy it's a triple-LNB with only two cables out?

The Phase 3 dish has a built-in 4x4 multiswitch. The triple head LNB has 4 lines going out of it into the multiswitch, and 4 lines coming out of it. If you were wanting to run more than 4 lines, you'll need a 4x8 or larger multiswitch in addition to the built-in one.

Sounds like my old multi-switch is no longer needed. I will have 4 lines coming out of the new Phase III oval dish which could support up to 4 TVs/ receivers. (Unless TiVO requires 2). The only question then is if I am put in an OTA and want to route it to more than one TV.

Tivo does take 2 lines. Doesn't require it, but you will get full functionality with 2. If you need to run OTA to more than one set you would need a splitter and then diplexers at each end for the sets you want to have OTA.

Not an expert by any stretch....But I did save a lot of money on my car insurance.

What is the position of the satellite?

jdspencer said:
The middle LNB is for getting signals from the 110 satellite, which is used for HD programming. Locals are not on the 110 sat. HD is also on the 119 sat. As are a few of the national HDs on 101.
jdspencer said:
When I installed my DirecTV myself 4 years ago, I had to confirm that I had LOS to the satellites. So I found out, somehow, that the satellite was at azimuth 234 and 33 degrees elevation. I plotted this on a star chart and found out that if I could see Orion at 10pm, then I was looking at the satellite as well.

Anyway...the Directech installer came today to upgrade me to HD with the oval triple LNB dish. He looked at my round dish and said "you can't see the HD satellite". So he left and I am waiting for his supervisor to come out. :(

So, I'd like to figure this out myself. Can someone PLEASE tell me the ALT/AZIMUTH positions of the 101,110 & 119 satellites?

I believe the third satelite is lower (towards the horizon). The tilt or rotation for the Oval dish seeks to get all three sats aligned along the three LNBs.

What I think made him say that was the Trees next door. I know they don't cause me trouble because I have had DirecTV for 4 years. So is the 3rd HD satellite lower, closer to the tree line? And did this installer know that by eyeballing it?

His english wasn't very good so he couldn't explain it and wasn't willing to try installing it. So his supervisor is coming tomorrow. :mad:

No. That's the point. He didn't even try. He walked off the job. I think his next job was probably a ranch / single story and he would rather do that.

When you go to the DirecTV site you can enter your zipcode and they tell you where to aim for a round dish, but they don't do it for an oval. I have 4 years of steady signal from the round dish, so I am wanting to know where the 3rd satelite sits that the oval needs.

I am about ready to upgrade to HD like FlyingSaucer did (or is trying to).
First DirecTV indicates that they are ready to orbit 2 new satellites for HD programming. If I install the 3 phase 3 lnb dish now would that dish also support the new HD satellites? I know that the HD receiver would have to be upgraded as the new HD transmissions will be MPEG4 and not the current MPEG2
Thanks

A configuration question.
I mentioned in my previous post that I will order the new 3 lnb oval dish and HD receiver. I currently have the 2 lnb round dish and a receiver with Tivo (Hughes). I want to keep my current Tivo setup and add the new HD receiver (without Tivo) to my HDTV. So I know I would need at least 3 of the 4 outputs from the new dish. My question is I would like to run a regular antenna to both of my TVs so what kind of equipment or switches would I need to keep it as neat and clean as possible?
Thanks

FlyingSaucer,
Could you update us on your HD installation regarding the supervsior?
Thanks

Eagle Aspen S-4180-GX+ 5x8 Multiswitch works w/ Phase-III dish

I had a STD Def TIVO receiver and two STD Def regular receivers with a dual-LNB dish and a 3x8 (3 in 8 out) multiswitch.

I had a phase III oval 3 LNB dish still in the box from a previous receiver upgrade.

Recently bought a D* HD receiver. I needed the phase-III antenna installed for HD.

Once phase-III dish installed, forced an upgrade to my multiswitch.

Researched and decided on the Eagle Aspen S-4180-GX+ 5x8 (5 in 8 out) multiswitch. I replaced my older 3x8 with this 5x8 multiswitch and my system now works perfectly.

The 4 outputs from the phase-III dish antenna go to the 4 satellite inputs on the multiswitch. I also have a OTA antenna going to the 5th (UHF/VHF) input on the multiswitch for OTA STD Def and HD local channels. A diplexor on the receiver end splits out the sat. signal and the OTA signal.

The S-4180-GX+ cost me $70 from a local "source". I found it after an e-mail and a few phone calls.

This gives me plenty of ports for dual-tuners TIVOs, sat receivers, and OTA TV antenna feeds.

-egkor (Gary K)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DirecTivo+Remote Signal Sender question

MLB HD Games

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)