Whole Room DVR and diplexer (or another solution)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kluciano

Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
NJ
Hi...I have read the forums and it looks like if you have the Whole Home DVR then you can no longer use diplexers to bring in another signal. My question is can I use anything else. I currently have Directv and every year I get Comcast for 6 months to watch the Phillies. As of last year I could use a diplexer on the outside and the inside to get both signals into 2 rooms with the Comcast boxes. Is there any known solution to do this if you have the Whole Home DVR setup? I would rather not run two extra lines if I don't have to. Thanks in advance!!!!

damn

I was afraid that was the case...looks like I have some cable to run before April 1st. Thanks!!!!:eek:

Well, you could just let Comcast run the cable as it is probably free.

Or, you could probably get the MLB extra innings for the same price or even less then 6 months of Comcast.
Getting the MLB package will not only get you your Phillies, it will get you every game plus you will have all your DVR functions and MRV with it.

Just a thought

I do miss be able to diplex cable internet and my SWM signal through the same line. Replacing Dish Net on a regular basis provides a nearly inexaustible supply of quality diplexers. LOL Would like to know the ratio of us replacing them vs. them replacing us. Probably closer than I think.

Well, you could just let Comcast run the cable as it is probably free.
I would agree on this - let CC do the legwork!

Or, you could probably get the MLB extra innings for the same price or even less then 6 months of Comcast.
Getting the MLB package will not only get you your Phillies, it will get you every game plus you will have all your DVR functions and MRV with it.

Sorry, that will NOT work for him out there. MLB does NOT get you EVERY game - it gets you EVERY game that is OUTSIDE your local MLB market ONLY. When you sign up for MLB on D*, it is zip coded to each sub, just like any RSN(s) are. Because he actually IS in the Philly MLB market, ALL games that are locally broadcast on CSN Philly, WILL be blacked-out for him on MLB. The only people that sub to MLB that get those Philly games, are if they live OUTSIDE the CSN Philly zone.
That is why he has to have Comcast (or FiOS) to get those Philly games - and why DBS penetration IS so low in the Philly area. ;) ;)

Well, that sucks. LOL

I am guessing you can only get it on the locals and D* does not offer locals in his area?

What about picking it up with an off air or AM21?

It's Comcast Sports Net Philly, which is a Comcast cable channel, just like any other RSN. (FSN, CSN Chicago, Bay Area, etc.) The problem is, CSN Philly specifically is NOT, & has never (yet) been available on either sat provider, due to them using their "terrestrial loophole" to keep it away from DBS. (why they DO offer it to competing cable/telco providers in those SAME Philly markets like FiOS, RCN, etc. is beyond me - they compete with incumbent cable providers like Comcast, in the same way DBS does)

Except for a few games shown on an OTA network channel or ESPN, the ONLY way to see most of them in any part of the Philly home market, is on CSN Philly - which is ONLY on cable or another TV overbuilder like FiOS.

Do a search on CSN Philly & you'll find plenty that explains this - there's one right on the 1st page of this forum... ;) ;)

Last edited:
sorry to burst all your bubbles, but as a current comcast employee, (installer) you will be charged 28.00 for the first additional line to be run, and 17.75 for the second to be run, as this will be a change of service, not your origional install, since you are a current customer. These are prices charged by comcast (accurate to my area, not 100% if they are national, but i would assume so) not by your installer whether he be a contractor or inhouse. we dont get paid to run the line if we dont have comcast bill you for it, and no we cant not mark down we ran two lines as then the work order would not be completed and we wouldnt be paid to do the job at all. Whether a tech would accept a 'tip' to run the lines and cancel the job to not bill you is up to the tech, as we could get in serious trouble doing that. I know none of this helps, or is good news, but you have the right to know.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

(Likely) switching from Dish Network - have questions

Does your Directv DRV play Youtube videos?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)