Who has the most to offer Dish, DIretv or Cable?

HOUMOE

Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
I currently have Dish and was thinking of switching to directv or cable because as a newbie I would get a much better deal. I have two HDTV's and would like everything to go trough my Home Theater system (pc media center). Who has the most to offer. I have been holding out for Uverse, but who knows when that will be in my area. (Houston TX, 77084)Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong location, but I am new to this forum stuff.:D

I currently have Dish and was thinking of switching to directv or cable because as a newbie I would get a much better deal. I have two HDTV's and would like everything to go trough my Home Theater system (pc media center). Who has the most to offer. I have been holding out for Uverse, but who knows when that will be in my area. (Houston TX, 77084)Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong location, but I am new to this forum stuff.:D

If you are not pressed to make an immediate decision, I would hold out until the end of September. I think you will see that both DISH and DirecTV will not look the same at that time (both adding HD content).

DISH has announced 7 more channels I believe, but DirecTV will be having a major revamping of its HD offering.

You are in the best postion right now - and waiting a little bit longer will be in your best interest IMO. There is so much chatter and speculation, but by end of September most should be well-known.

Thanks for the quick response. I am re-doing my whole home network, so this will give me time to get all my Home distribution plans laid out. My main foucus is out of site equipment.

Why not switch to cable and see what it has? Cable is one of those "Depends on where you are" type deal, so if your in a good cable system it blows away anything the sats could offer, So it really depends on what cable option is open to you and what the local area offers. Plus id recomend trying cable before the other Dish service because with cable theirs usally 0 upfront costs and no contracts, so if you find out you dont like it and or its not right for you you;ve really lost nothing.
Personnaly I love cable best for a few reasons (aside from the fact I work for a cable company) in I love DVR I love On-demand, I have not watched Live tv in a very long time, only during sporting events. I love having TV on MY schedule what I want when I want. and 10Mbit internet to boot wow :)

Why not switch to cable and see what it has? Cable is one of those "Depends on where you are" type deal, so if your in a good cable system it blows away anything the sats could offer, So it really depends on what cable option is open to you and what the local area offers. Plus id recomend trying cable before the other Dish service because with cable theirs usally 0 upfront costs and no contracts, so if you find out you dont like it and or its not right for you you;ve really lost nothing.
Personnaly I love cable best for a few reasons (aside from the fact I work for a cable company) in I love DVR I love On-demand, I have not watched Live tv in a very long time, only during sporting events. I love having TV on MY schedule what I want when I want. and 10Mbit internet to boot wow :)

As Stevenl has stated "Why no give cable a try",we had Directv for 8+ years when we lived in the Northern Va area( Alexandria) and the Cox cable there didn't cut it, sub par PQ, went down a lot, price jumps all the time. Well the time was right to move the family outta the rat race and out to the "country"(traffic, outrageous crime levels, just a crappy lifestyle) We moved to the Shenadoah Valley a short distance from James Madison University, pop 40k when the U is in. While moving into the new home we had our Directv account in suspend, we had HSI from Adelphia(now Comcast) installed and figured that we would have the cable tv service hooked up until I got the dish back up( not knowing exactly when that would be as it was the latter part of December) as there was no real up front fees and no contract, so we could cancel when ever with no penatly. Well the dish is still in the garage and has been for the last16 months. The PQ is far above Directv or Dish and while we only have 17 HD channels it seems to work for us at this time. As I said PQ is more important to me than the amount of channels, we have 4 HD sets from 61" down to 46" and Comcast delivers the PQ we want this may change with the launch of the new Directv satellites but I will wait and see. As for cost we may save a few bucks going with Directv but it would be just that "a few". Who would be your cable company if you don't mind me asking. I also think that some people are drawn into some mystic that if thier TV service is coming from space that it has to be good, but as stated some cable will be great and some will be down right terrible as will all things

I am in the same boat, I have cable from COX in Cleveland and hate it. I want satellite to get the NHL package and be driveling to a few extra games in HD off the package, not to mention the chance to have versus would be nice too. Just not sure if I am ready for the jump, nobody I know has satellite so I am nervous about losing signal in snow storms or rain, and then just the regular jitters about such a big change

Odd BH phone problem

effects of weather on satellite reception

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)