Which 1 to Pick

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If you were thinking of a coolsat, why not think about a digiwave diamond, basically a clone and a few bucks cheaper. Plus if you really want a coolsat, I saw some software on ebay to change a diamond into a coolsat. Nothing I would suggest though. Digiwave technologies has some info on their site as to the diamond reciever, looks identical. If I had a choice though I would go with the Pansat 3500....nice machine. My digiwave 7000, I have flashed so it does get the AC3. But again, if you don't know what you are doing you could fry the unit. All upgrades are on the digiwave site for ac3 on the 7000, not sure about the diamond. Also, agree with ice etc...prices way to high due to snakeoil salesman, making their millions off of illegal stuff that is a waste of time.

sharris
how the heck you got AC3 on your 7000?

I have a clone (KUSat 2600) that is a 7000. I have the newest software and I dont have AC-3 :(

PM me the deatils ( :) )

My two cents. If you want the cheapest (that is still good) get the Fortec. If money is no object get the Pansat 3500 or Coolsat. But Shawn is right-Coolsat only has partial AC3. I have just PBS but I have not tried editing PIDS or channel lists.

Depends on your needs:

Pansat=Good overall, AC3 support.
Fortec=Cheapest, AC3 support.
Coolsat=Expensive (right now) but partial AC3 and nice scanning features (with newest firmware).

ok i want something simple and user friendly nutting to hard ...my head hurt when i try hard things...lol
Found A Buddy FroM NyC Old High school freind said
He could get me the coolsat 4000pro for under 180shippied
He works for the supplier and he said he will his disscount on it
Now should i got with coolsat 4000pro?

If they both cost the same, which is the better receiver. Coolsat Pro 4000, or the Pansat 3500?

Is the statement that Coolsat Pro 4000, may have issues with AC3/ Dolby Digital, true?

Does the 3500 do AC3 better than Coolat?

How important is AC3 in this descion? Will future firmware upgrades make the Coolsat more reliable with AC3?

Who has the better user interface? Do they both have great features that make using them fun, as well as productive. Who wants to dick around with settings everytime you want to scan a new bird? Is one better at this than the other?

Who owns both of these, or uses both of these enough to favor one over the other, and why do you favor one over the other?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Below are some specs on the 3500s. Can someone put meaning to some of this?
Question #1 Does the component output mean that it supports wide screen, 16:9 ?

Question #2 What can the card reader be used for besides reading MP3 off of a Sdram card?

Question #3 Are any of these features unique to the 3500s, and not the Coolsat Pro 4000?

Question #4 Which features are the most useful to a true FTA'er?

One more, what does this mean?

"Flexible reception of SCPC & MCPC from C/KuBand Satellites"

Thanks to the one who knows all of this. :)

The Pansat 3500s is the only receiver on the market that has Component Output (YPbPr), Built in MP3 Player though SD Slot, and built in card reader. Next generation FTA receiver. Also inlcudes a free diseqc switch, db9 cable and a 1 year subscription to our support forum. Our support includes access to the latest Pansat 3500 BINs, instructions, and tech support for this and many other FTA receivers. Over $70 in extras included.

Product Features:

EPG (Electronic Program Guide)
Full Compliant of MPEG2 Digital & DVB broadcasting
950 2,150 MHz input Frequency (IF Loop Throughout)

Variable Input Symbol Rate (145 Msps)

Multi Language OSD

Automatic PAL/NTSC Conversion

Fast Channel Change

5,000 Channels TV & Radio Program

Universal Remote

Flexible reception of SCPC & MCPC from C/KuBand Satellites

S/PDIF (Digital Audio or Dolby AC3 Stream out)

Timer Function (Automatic Turn On/Off by Setting Function)

256 Colors (Graphic User Interface) Number

PIG (Picutre in Graphic)

5 Favorite List & Unlimited Programs per each

Powerful Channel Editing Function

Sorting: Alphabetic, Satellite, FTA/Scramble, Parental Lock

Move, Delete, Favorite Edit

Parental Lock, Channel Rename, Channel Skip

Manual PID / Satellite & TP / Network Scan

Smart Search

Satellite Scan Simultaneous Scan with 4 Satellites

DiSEqC 1.3 Control Compatible (STAB USALS)

Capable of Setting the Frequency for SMATV System

Software Upgrade via RS232C (Receiver to Receiver, PC to Receiver)

ok which u guys think will be woth for like 2 or 3 year use .....and better upgrage or better firmware ....

I am puttin my vote for coolstar i think
I dont care abou the audio or video i want it work and just simple no fancy Sh*t

The new Coolsat 5000 Platinum is expected to be released end of October. More details coming soon.

What this All About ?
Now What

If you know the ac3 pid you have to manually add it in and then make sure that channel doesnt auto update pids. When you tune into that channel on the 4k Pro it should have the Dolby sign. Hit audio on your remote and select the 2nd english audio option. Should work.

The Coolsat 5000 is out... Now what?

OK, the Coolsat 5000 is out... now is it the better choice or still a 'depends on what you want' vs say the discussed Pansats, Fortec, or the Viewsat VS2000 (Iceberg's pick in June)?

Thanks for the reply Iceberg... Just to clarify, the differences I can see between the Coolsat 5000 and the Viewsat VS2000 are:

Viewsat: 16mb Flash ROM, no comp video, normal & wide aspect ratios, built-in card reader.
Coolsat: 2mb Flash ROM, comp video, aspect ratio support unknown, no card reader.

The Viewsat VS2000 has a bult-in card reader... $60 option for the Coolsat.

Net, $189 or $199 for the VS2000 vs $289 for the Coolsat 5000 with a card reader. Do you see a reason to pay $90 to $100 more for the Coolsat? Why do you prefer the Coolsat over the Viewsat, given the high praise you gave to the Viewsat in your recent review?

Unfortunately, each receiver when I did the review has been kind of overhauled since the review was done. I reviewed the Coolsat 4000, not the 5000 (but that may change) ;)

The Coolsat 4000 has new software that allows you to do some cool things with the blind scan (like select a specific range for the frequency). When I did the review, the software wasn’t available (and yes the software is legit..not hack software) : )

The Viewsat that I tested did not have blind scan. The Viewsat Platinum I guess does have blind scan on it now.

The Coolsat 5k can be had for around $200 shipped if you search for it. Honestly if you compare the specs the Viewsat is a much more powerful machine. The new 5K Pro still has the same old processor the 4k does. The only thing I can honestly see that the 5k has over the Viewsat is component out.

Viewsat blind scan

I talked to the guys at Viewsat. If you go to the manufacture site, www.viewsatusa.com and then to the support section, there is a update legal factory firmware bin file (called nov 8th) that has the blind search feature in it.
Viewsat is manufacturing new receivers that will have the blind search built in, and may even rename the unit to the Viewsat Extreme.

I would have to agree that the Viewsat is a great unit for its price, and quickness.

Will have to wait and see what Iceberg says about the Coolsat 5000 to do a full comparison :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Wanting to purchase a Viewstat2000

Viewsat VS2000