When will HD recivers become standard?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NutFlush920

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Green Bay, WI
Just curious as to when DirecTV will consider the H model (HD receivers) standard receivers? Or do they already if requested by the customer?

Consumers are no longer able to by SDTV's any longer. When you go to the store all you see are LCD, Plasma and DLP televisions. Why would a customer want a SD receiver hooked up if they can have HD? I personally have 4 HDTV's and have given my only only SDTV away to a family member. Cost of the HDTV's have fallen deeply with economic times.

I think a current or new customer should be able to upgrade to a HD receivers at no additional cost. Of course, DirecTV should enforce a contract renewal though for existing customers. HD DVR's should have an extra upgrade charge of $99 across the board.

I just thought this would be an interesting topic to see what everyone else has to say on the subject.

Supposedly, the newer SD DVR's have the H2xx innards & can be software enabled to upgrade to HD. My guess is that as long as your box is Mpeg-4 capable the box can be upgraded. It's hard to tell when these policies go nationally; I'm surprised at how all the new posters are receiving SWM dishes when my installer (two months ago) hadn't heard about any in Chicago.

I just got hooked Friday and my 2 standard tv receivers are H23's. I've been told that this is standard now, but also been told that it's because of the sat my locals are on. Not sure which is true though.

I just got hooked Friday and my 2 standard tv receivers are H23's. I've been told that this is standard now, but also been told that it's because of the sat my locals are on. Not sure which is true though.

It's very true - evidently your locals USED to require a 2nd dish; this is no longer the case, but now ALL markets that used to require the 2nd dish will now require ALL MPEG4 equipment. Other than the R22 MPEG4 SD DVR, this means you need HD receivers to get locals.

They still installed a 2nd dish pointing at 72.5. I'm not sure if my locals are still there or not.

They still installed a 2nd dish pointing at 72.5. I'm not sure if my locals are still there or not.

Your SD locals on 72.5 may NOT be lit up yet in MPEG4 yet - but trust me, they will eventually ALL be on an MPEG4 bird & also eventually will disappear from the 72.5 dish.

edit: You must be in the DesMonies market - your HD locals were delayed; you're supposed to be getting them sometime in November:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...hd-locals-launch-schedule-november-march.html

So had you waited a month later, they probably would NOT have installed the 72.5 dish... ;) ;)

Your SD locals on 72.5 may NOT be lit up yet in MPEG4 yet - but trust me, they will eventually ALL be on an MPEG4 bird & also eventually will disappear from the 72.5 dish.

edit: You must be in the DesMonies market - your HD locals were delayed; you're supposed to be getting them sometime in November:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...hd-locals-launch-schedule-november-march.html

So had you waited a month later, they probably would NOT have installed the 72.5 dish... ;) ;)

I'm in Cedar Rapids/Waterloo market. We have our locals in HD short of ABC. KCRG wants D* to pay up so they are holding out on the HD channel. I swapped a few emails with the GM about it. He said they have a conference call on 11/10. Have to wait and see where it goes.

I couldn't find a good source showing what's on 72.5.

Just curious as to when DirecTV will consider the H model (HD receivers) standard receivers? Or do they already if requested by the customer?

Consumers are no longer able to by SDTV's any longer. When you go to the store all you see are LCD, Plasma and DLP televisions. Why would a customer want a SD receiver hooked up if they can have HD? I personally have 4 HDTV's and have given my only only SDTV away to a family member. Cost of the HDTV's have fallen deeply with economic times.

I think a current or new customer should be able to upgrade to a HD receivers at no additional cost. Of course, DirecTV should enforce a contract renewal though for existing customers. HD DVR's should have an extra upgrade charge of $99 across the board.

I just thought this would be an interesting topic to see what everyone else has to say on the subject.

There are still plenty of people that do NOT have HD TV's, SD rec's are still available, but yes, H rec's should be the standard for those that do want HD, until they come out with another series of rec.

Of course, DirecTV should enforce a contract renewal though for existing customers.

I seriously dis agree with your statement that D* should enforce a contract.

Here's how I feel about the Contract, I am OK with it for NEW subs, however, once you have completed your initial 2 year contract with them I feel that you should not be subjected to another contract. They slap a new contract on you for pretty much anything you do and thats wrong.
You would think that if your calling in to upgrade to a better rec. and already been with them over 2 years, there should not be a contract involved.

Also, if D* is calling subs to upgrade (mpeg2-4 conversion) you definatly should not be required to add a contract, this is for D*'s benifit mainly.
I have seen contract and no contract for the mpeg2-4 issue, so I'm not sure what the consider the rules in that regard.

Jimbo

Great point, Jimbo. Of the 3 tvs in my house, 2 of them are HD. I'm waiting to change that final one, hopefully in the next couple of months. In the meantime, if D* ever does go to mandatory HD receivers for existing customer, I too agree that there shouldn't be a penalty of a new contract. It's bad enough that there is the contract out there but to penalize the user for the increase in technology requirements, especially for current subscribers, is asinine. It will only hurt in the end when it comes to loyalty to a product or a company.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Could AT&T buy Directv from Liberty?

When do we get the travel channel HD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts