What is a 4:2:2 digital feed?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Does the DVB World USB receiver connect to loop out on my Fortec Mercury II receiver? How would I also incorporate an analog receiver?

Yes that's the way I have my DVB world and and regular STB set up, I have the DVB World box as the slave and the regular receiver as the master. I have an A/B switch to change between DVB World and Analog :)

"What's 4:2:2 (and HHR MPEG-2?)

When MPEG-2 encodes color and picture information, it samples the analog picture at certain resolution both as horizontal and vertical pixels, but seperately as color (chrominance/hue) and brighness (luminance). The DVB specification calls for 4:2:0 encoding which put simply means that the resolution of the color information is one quarter of the resolution of the video information.

Since studios need better quality than DVB offers, an extension to MPEG-2 has come about that isn't part of the DVB spec but has its own specialized defintion within the MPEG-2 standard. This is called 4:2:2 format or MP@4:2:2SP meaning "Main Profile 4:2:2 Studio Profile". In this system, double the amount of vertical color information is transmitted.

Another format exists that is in very common use today. Called HHR for half horizontal resolution, this part of the MPEG-2/DVB standard transmits only half of the normal 720 pixel horizontal resolution while maintaining normal vertical resolution of 480 pixels (although, since it's 4:2:0 format, the color information is only encoded at 240 pixels vertically and 176 pixels horizontally. A lot of the smaller DBS (like the ethnic packages on T5 etc) use HHR format since it dramatically reduces the bandwidth needed for channels - of course at the expense of picture quality. Special logic in the video decoder chip in the set top box, re-expands the picture to its normal horizontal size by interpolation prior to display.

4:2:2 video at Standard Definition looks just as good as the NBC analog feeds on GE-1 Ku. High bandwidth 4:2:0 video like the NBC digital feeds on GE-1 Ku come very close to studio quality and the low bandwidth stuff encoded in HHR format, looks a lot like VHS quality."

http://www.coolstf.com/

Before you purchase you a PC USB or PCI device I'd make sure you can use it in the DVB programs you want especially TSReader. TSReader and VLC is hands down the easiest way to watch HD and 4:2:2 feeds. There's a thread with users having hit or miss success with TSReader on the DVBWorld USB device.

Attachments

• Pict0148.JPG
    Pict0148.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 382
  • Pict0149.JPG
    Pict0149.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
I never said it couldn't do it. But without support in DVBDream, RitzDVB, TSReader(without crazy workaround), I'll pass on the DVB device.

What codec are you using for 4:2:2 HD? What kind of performance do you get with it on your rig?

I use the all original software that comes with the DVB World receiver, it has worked flawlessly since the moment I loaded it on my computer. No cut outs PERFECT HD and 4:2:2, only time it drops out is when the signal gets too low and that's only once in a blue moon!

I understand why advanced users like yourself would want to use the above software but most users just want to watch HD and 4:2:2
And that's what my DVB World has been doing from day one. Plug and play.

I am still kicking myself for not getting round to using it sooner! It sat on my desk for nearly a YEAR! I missed a year of FTA HD and 4:2:2

I LOATH to watch SD these days! (But I do :eek: )

PSB how run the dvb work out put back to the TV with vidio out card in your comp?? I would hate to watch every thing esp HDTV on 15 inch montor

Some computers/ video cards have RCA outputs these days. The smaller the screen the more stunning the HD anyway :)

I have seen MANY Big Screen HD systems but have never seen a better HD picture than on my PC monitor.

You can also record right to hard drive, burn to DVD then play on a BIG screen!

The best part about the DVB World USB receiver is all that's needed in a spare USB port! No opening up your computer and works perfectly with the original software. Plug and Play :)

wish I could get a dvb world reciver... but it's usb2 and needs a high speed pc from what I gather, so my little usb1 and 1.5 ghz computer won't cut it. My wife's got a faster spec pc, but not really since it's not a true intel pentium. I'm holding out on getting a new pc til post vista when hardware prices drop... no need getting a new pc now when I'll need another in two years...

Get this processor:
Athlon 64 3400+ 754
and you get a motherboard free with it as a combo deal.

mobo + proc = 100$ (proc is oem so you need a hsf for it)
hsf = about 20$

512mb ram = 50$

a decent psu at least 400w = about 30$ (one that comes with a case should be adequate)

Radeon 9600pro
Red or blue = 60$

80GB sata hard drive = 50$

DVD burner = 30$

Decent case = 50$

Total = 400$ :hungry:

The fun of putting it all together = priceless:D

Whats in your wallet?
j/k

I have an athlon xp 2700+ with 512MB ram radeon 9600 and was able to do hd perfectly no stutter at all, that was with the HDTV wonder on pretty high bitrate atsc 1080i and 720p streams, and also those sample wmv|hd videos in 720p and 1080p were perfect.

So an a64 3400+ with a 9600pro would be even more capable.

Stop waiting and get a good system NOW and enjoy perfect hd and 4:2:2 without stutter. :)

If you already have stuff like that you could pull out of your old system you could save even more money.

Say you already have ddr ram lying around or in your old computer you can take the ram out of the list, a case and psu, your old hard drive and cd drive.

Now your down to just 180$

The only thing I did not include was the os which is about 100$ for xp home.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AMC 5 -- new question from old ?

Congratulations Sadoun on mag mention

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts