What happened to customer service?

compcond

Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
I've been a Dish customer for about 10 years and the customer service reps I just spoke with make me want to jump ship.

The answer to every question I asked was "no." I WAS TRYING TO BUY EQUIPMENT, UPGRADE MY SERVICE AND GIVE THEM MORE MONEY and the answers were "no." The rep barely spoke English and by the time we were done I gave up. Then I got an email thanking me for adding Fox Sports. I don't want Fox Sports. I don't want any sports. I had to call back to fix it. The supervisor didn't speak English too well either. Any bets I get billed for The Birthing Channel or some other crap?

Which is less worse: Time Warner or DirectTV? I tried to switch to DirectTV a couple of years ago and they screwed me over DURING THE SALES CALL; I had to dispute the $500 charge for equipment they never delivered or installed with Mastercard two months later. Time Warner's poor customer service is legend and so is their video quality.

What do you do when the only game in town turns to crap?

That is totally unacceptable.My best advice would be to contact one of the dish internet response team members here.They are very knowledgeable and easy to work with.

I have a 622 and a 722. I want to either A: replace one with a Hopper, B: replace both with 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey, or C: replace both with 1 Hopper and 2 Joeys BUT I need the abiltiy to prevent the Joeys from deleting programming on the Hopper (a family member has dementia)

No. No. No.

Yeah. That's one of the dilemmas a lot of people are facing now. Some people are stuck with only one television option (usually cable), a lot of people have three, and at best a person might have four. And all of them cost too much and are kind of a pain in the rear with recurring issues that you have to call or message people to resolve that shouldn't come up in the first place (Like phantom PPV charges for things people didn't order, etc.).

For many people, television is something that's important to the way they live, though, and going without doesn't seem like a real option (Or they've tried to go without and found it depressing). So, you're kind of stuck with figuring out what the least-worst is and going with it.

I get where you're coming from. Don't know what the solution is, though.

If you really want to pay Dish for a ton of new equipment and price isn't an issue, though, you could try private messaging one of the "DIRT" team members here. They speak English well and can usually get stuff done, as long as it's within the bounds of corporate policy. The problem is, a lot of time the corporate policy is bad, and comes from the top, so folks on the lower rungs, however well-intentioned, are powerless to change it. I can't imagine that the corporate policy is to refuse to let you buy equipment at any price, though- so you can probably get this resolved. Usually the problem is that they charge too much for equipment or don't let people with poor credit in on the deals for free or discounted equipment.

The reps answers were all correct. Dish is not allowing a mixed VIP hopper setup and also is not allowing a 2h/1j setup, though a few have been able to get it thru the system. For 3,if the hopper software functions like the VIP, all you have to do is protect recordings and lock the system and then any user has to enter a passcode before programs can be deleted.

Sent from my HTC Flyer

Good customer service isn't always about the company giving you what you want. There are reasons behind every company policy good or bad. Just because you hear no don't think they don't care.

Good customer service isn't always about the company giving you what you want. There are reasons behind every company policy good or bad. Just because you hear no don't think they don't care.

The only thing big corporations care about is generating big profits. They have to pretend to kind of, sort of, maybe, care about their customers, but only to the extent needed to keep the profits flowing. It's not like they really care deep down in their hearts about whether Bob in St. Louis really is happy and getting a good deal, as long as Bob in St. Louis doesn't get dissatisfied enough to stop sending them money or generate negative PR for them that could cost them money and potential money from other customers.

I've been a Dish customer for about 10 years and the customer service reps I just spoke with make me want to jump ship.

The answer to every question I asked was "no." I WAS TRYING TO BUY EQUIPMENT, UPGRADE MY SERVICE AND GIVE THEM MORE MONEY and the answers were "no." The rep barely spoke English and by the time we were done I gave up. Then I got an email thanking me for adding Fox Sports. I don't want Fox Sports. I don't want any sports. I had to call back to fix it. The supervisor didn't speak English too well either. Any bets I get billed for The Birthing Channel or some other crap?

Which is less worse: Time Warner or DirectTV? I tried to switch to DirectTV a couple of years ago and they screwed me over DURING THE SALES CALL; I had to dispute the $500 charge for equipment they never delivered or installed with Mastercard two months later. Time Warner's poor customer service is legend and so is their video quality.

What do you do when the only game in town turns to crap?

Figure out what you want and you buy it,not from DISH directly, but there is EBay,Solid Signal,and I would price check you local DISH retailer.;)

Figure out what you want and you buy it,not from DISH directly, but there is EBay,Solid Signal,and I would price check you local DISH retailer.;)
The issue is that the OP wants something that DISH doesn't offer: A hybrid Old School/HJ system.

No amount of browbeating (or talking turd about) CSRs is going to change the fact that they don't offer such a configuration.

I don't care what anyone thinks about what I am about to say, but I think that DISH is stupid for not allowing ViP/Hopper mixes or 2H/1J setups. Supposedly the ViP restriction is to prevent account stacking, but what makes this any different than just having 2 ViP receivers? Hell Dish even gave the diagram for how the ViP/H/J setup would work fine together yet they place this idiotic restriction. The 2H/1J restriction is even more idiotic. I really hope that these restrictions aren't permanent.

This is their rule and they are sticking to it. I dont agree with it personally I think you should be allowed one (and only one) ViP receiver with a Hopper setup as many of us go camping with our receivers without having an "RV"

I guess if the OP is willing to pay, then Dish should allow it. I personally think we reached overkill with DVRing programs. But that's for another discussion. In the end if I want to pay a huge bill for hoppers and joeys and vips, then give them to me. The only reason to not allow it is if it would cause tech problems, and other that a boat load of wires running to and from splitters, I don't see any issue. A tech person should chime in.

I think it has alot to do with what you have seen over the last couple of days. It's hard enough to install a brand new system without introducing the VIPS. If it's not a stacking issue, which I do believe Dish is thinking this is a good way to stem that, then perhaps they will allow it eventually.

This is their rule and they are sticking to it. I dont agree with it personally I think you should be allowed one (and only one) ViP receiver with a Hopper setup as many of us go camping with our receivers without having an "RV"
No more TV "anywhere". This is unless you have a REALLLLY long cable for that Joey.;) No more taking your receiver , owned or leased, to a cabin, camping or tailgating without a separate account.:(

Voyager6 said:
No more TV "anywhere". This is unless you have a REALLLLY long cable for that Joey.;) No more taking your receiver , owned or leased, to a cabin, camping or tailgating without a separate account.:(

I take this to mean a hopper wont work without a joey?

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

Manual

Another Order

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)