What Does '501 Grandfathered' Mean as to Fees?

fredberry

Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
I have been a Dish customer for almost 10 years and have two 622's and one 501 online to Dish. I understand that the 501 was 'grandfathered' concerning a 'DVR' fee but don't really understand what that means. I am currently being charged $17 for one 622 (the other is part of the package) as well as a $6 DVR Service fee and $7 for a solo receiver. Am I being overcharged for having a 'grandfathered' DVR or not? I also have a 522 that I have not used. If I replace the 501 w/the 522 will that change the amount I'm being charged?

BTW, the people at Dish have no idea what I'm talking about when I mention the 501 as a 'grandfathered' DVR.

Thanks in advance.

Fred Berry

The 501's and 508's are exempt from the DVR fee as you noted...so for pricing purposes Dish charges you $7 which is the same as a non DVR SD unit (like a 311, 301, older Legacy receivers)

The pricing is right for what you have. The "grandfathered" part must be a code to not charge you for the DVR fee if that was the only receiver on the account

$6 DVR fee because you have a DVR on the account (622)...there is no fee for the receiver since its the 1st on the account
$17 for the HD dual tuner DVR (the 2nd 622)
$7 for the 501

Hypothetical Question ... adding a 508?

eastern arc reception

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts