What are the diffs between C and Ku analog receivers?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ken2400

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Central NY State
I was trying to get my Ku analog receiver working last night and it was too cold. I ended up trying a C band analog receiver and it kinda worked.

My question is what are the diffs between the two other than the number of transponders they can receive, 24/32? Also my C band receiver has an inverse video switch. When do I use it?

Thanks.

Please let us no a little more, like what units you have what dish you are using and stuff like that. for us to help you out.

Don’t ask what Ken’s got for equipment….it’ll be 2 pages :D

Ken, if it is a C/Ku analog receiver, get it to KU band
C-Band has 4 digit frequencies, KU has 5

If you can move your dish to AMC9 (85), try this frequency (its usually in the clear)
TP 19
V

It’s a test screen with color bars and “AMC9” and the info scrolling up it.

What kind of receiver is it?

I am trying to cut back. Well until the next Ham fest season starts. ;)
Thanks for the info Iceberg. It's a good place to start.

Iceberg said:
Don’t ask what Ken’s got for equipment….it’ll be 2 pages :D

Ken, if it is a C/Ku analog receiver, get it to KU band
C-Band has 4 digit frequencies, KU has 5

If you can move your dish to AMC9 (85), try this frequency (its usually in the clear)
TP 19
V

It’s a test screen with color bars and “AMC9” and the info scrolling up it.

What kind of receiver is it?
:) :)

OK let me try to clear this up. I am not home so I can't tell you all the models and all.

I have two analog receivers I am working with. One has a button and input for Ku band the other is an older analog receiver that appears to be just for C band. The Ku receiver did not work last night so I try the C band receiver to see what would happen. I did get something BUT not too well.

I am using a KU LNBF on a 18" dish to see what I could get.

My question was what make a analog receiver KU able? If both the KU and C LNBF downconvert to the same freq 950 - ??? what makes them different other than maybe the KU receiver can pick up 32 transponders and the C receiver can only get 24???? Maybe the transponders are different freq??

Thanks

tdti1 said:
Please let us no a little more, like what units you have what dish you are using and stuff like that. for us to help you out.

Forgive me for being stupid, but from what you are all saying, I could use the standard ku lnbf for FTA and use it for analog KU on an offset 31" dish? Can this be done side by side with an MPEG2 FTA receiver?

Yes thats what I am doing right now! (looking for hockey) I have a standard KU LNB going to a Fortec Lifetime Ultra, then its looped into an analog receiver. All you have to remember is you are stuck on whatever polarity the first receiver in line is on, easy enough to work round. So I have digital and analog off the one dish. (One Analog receiver and one Mpeg-2 receiver)

Ken
the difference is what is being converted
C-Band is 3000-5000 MHZ
KU is 11000-12200 MHZ

The reason of the C/KU switch for analog would be so it knows what to pick up. My receiver has the frequency built in for each channel, and if its on C it wont work for KU :)

CbandLover said:
Forgive me for being stupid, but from what you are all saying, I could use the standard ku lnbf for FTA and use it for analog KU on an offset 31" dish? Can this be done side by side with an MPEG2 FTA receiver?

yep. Thats what I'm doing

line from my 30" dish to the Pansat DVB receiver. It has a "loop out" which I hook to the analog receiver
Whatever polarity the DVB is on, the analog follws (but if the DVB is off, it defaults to Horizontal)

True Iceberg but it does still down converts to the same freqs. I do see tho the span is different. 2000 on C band and 2200 on KU. Well either way I have to keep trying to get my KU receiver working right. It does not seem to like temps below 20 F. Go figure! Well it will be near 30 on Sunday in my area so maybe it will work right.

Any idea what the inverse video switch is for on a analog receiver?

Thanks
Iceberg said:
Ken
the difference is what is being converted
C-Band is 3000-5000 MHZ
KU is 11000-12200 MHZ

The reason of the C/KU switch for analog would be so it knows what to pick up. My receiver has the frequency built in for each channel, and if its on C it wont work for KU :)

I have not even bothered to look at analog KU receivers. Somebody please recommend a decent one, please. :) I want to get the max. programming I can out of this dish.

1 -- Are there dedicated KU or just C/KU band receivers?

2 -- Is it worth it for analogs or are they more DVB now? I have tried looking on Lyngsat for freebie channels, but I am not sure.

Thanks again.. you guys rule.

IMHO most of the FREE C/Ku analog would be wild feeds not channels, therefore not shown on SatcoDX or Lyngsat. Let me see if I can find my wild feed lists.

I like to use analog for testing. It is much easier to tune in than digital IMHO. You can dig up some sats using an analog turner then switch to digital one to get the rest.

I also have some equipment that has been sitting around for like 6 or 7 years that were just talking up space and now I am using it again. There are cheap ones at hamfests too.

Search for a hamfest near you http://www.arrl.org/hamfests.html and add to your pile of toys.

CbandLover said:
I have not even bothered to look at analog KU receivers. Somebody please recommend a decent one, please. :) I want to get the max. programming I can out of this dish.

1 -- Are there dedicated KU or just C/KU band receivers?

2 -- Is it worth it for analogs or are they more DVB now? I have tried looking on Lyngsat for freebie channels, but I am not sure.

Thanks again.. you guys rule.

Ok.. Took the advice of all you pros. I went to a local dealer that has been doing satellite since C-band showed up on the scene for home use. The guy was really cool and very helpful--- I even taught him a few things about motors on Ku dishes that I learned from you guys. :) He had alot of used c/ku recievers in the back. So he hooked me up with a Toshiba unit for like 30 bucks. (I will have to get the model number.) I hooked it up to my Primestar dish and, using a Satfinder I bought today, tuned in a sat almost right away. It was late, and all I could find were Pennsylvania Fox News channel reporters in Jacksonville FL doing their news from there. It was pretty cool how things work behind the scenes. (I am such a newb at this stuff.) My question---is there a way for me to know what sat I was on since I don't have a dvb box yet (they were out of stock today) ? I know I was east of 101 of what did not look like that far from 101. No big deal, just wondering what I could be on. Can't wait to get the Fortec. :) Especially so I can switch polarities like you guys said, Ice and PSB.

Sounds like it may have been SBS6 KU analog, nice find and the price cant be beat! The best way to find out what sat you are on is to ask someone here with DVB and analog KU to swing over and confirm what satellite you are on. Sounds like you will be having fun in the next few days!

Thanks alot, Pete.. you are always so helpful. My wife was actually interested in what we were getting. Especially when we watched the Groundhog Day feed from Penn. this morning.. :) She just won't admit she thinks its cool. :)

Thanks again for the info.

sounds like SBS6

easiest way to find out is scan during an evening. SBS6 usually has college b-ball games on it. Wednesday should be pretty filled up :)

Only one polarity

I wish now that I had a Primestar with both H and V separated to two outputs because this Toshiba analog receiver has two inputs V and H if they are separated, cause I am only getting one polarity because I can't switch it. Oh well, just an excuse to get a dvb now. :) I will surely be watching tonight. Thanks for the tip, Ice.. I know what programs to look for.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Fortec vs Pansat

Diseqc switch question and new diseqc standards

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)