What analog fta receiver you would buy?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
nasko said:
Just a quote from Tele-Satellite magazine issue 9/10/04:

"Every month 10 freely receivable analog channels disappear, as do three encrypted channels and five radio channels. If this rate of disappearance continues, every analog channel will vanish in three or four years leaving only channels that are transmitted digitally."
:

Lets do the math on that one.
That would mean we have 360 to 480 analog channels now?
That must have been a memo from Dan Rather. :D :D

If you are thinking about getting an analog receiver, I highly reccomend getting one. Today I was flipping through and on SBS6 at 1:00 PM Central, I had football games on the following channels

2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11,12,15,and 16
ch 7 & 8 were the same game, but 11 games....sweet :)

There are several non-VideoCipher, small analog C/Ku-Band receivers on *Bay right now cheeep cheeep. The ones built like FTA boxes are nice and simple if you don't have a motor to move. I just got an old C/Ku-Band analog knob turner for 99 cents and it works great. These work great with the digital FTA boxes. Heck, went ahead and was the only bidder ($9.99) for a small FTA type Star Trak 150 C/Ku-Band analog receiver with a remote.

I'll be getting a Toshiba/GI/or other good one w/VideoCipher later and search out a Big Dish this summer.

Click attachment to enlarge.

Attachments

• 46_1_b.jpeg
    46_1_b.jpeg
    13.1 KB · Views: 104
Wayn23 said:
If you can find a Chaparral Monterey 95 somewhere they make great analog receivers
and they are easy to adjust for different Ku transponder frequencies and they have an
awesome picture, not all KU sats have the same frequency for the same transponders and with the Monterey 95 it is very easy to set any frequency you want to any transponder. Any C-band receiver will also work well for moving a big dish even when all the analog channels are gone plus the Monterey has an excellent signal strength display that works well for finding Sat's even if the signal is digital.

The analog picture on those old Chaparral units was better than any other box I have ever seen. any of these are good (140, 100C+, 100C, 95, and 55)

As you asking if you can connect a C band analog receiver to a Ku-LNBF? If so the answer is Yes. I have done this with some success. It does not give all the channels tho.

TuxCoder said:
Dude that rocks. :) So you can't use that receiver currently with only a Ku band dish, or can you with an adaptor? This page (http://www.skyvision.com/store/mi4509012.html) talks about needing a 'C-/Ku-band external switch' for Ku. Is that just a 12V or other type of normal LNBF switcher, or is it something specific to adding Ku band capability to an otherwise C band-only receiver? Not that the particular receiver at that link is what I'm looking for, just it's an example of what I've seen where it says something is needed to give it Ku band access.

tdti1 said:
The analog picture on those old Chaparral units was better than any other box I have ever seen. any of these are good (140, 100C+, 100C, 95, and 55)

It's a damn shame most people with a mini-dish system never have seen
how good analog can look, I have seen posts in many forums where people
think that Dish or Direct are giving them the best picture possible and that
any picture defects are due to the limits of SD television.

It will be a sad day when analog goes away for good.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Showtime in FTA?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)