What analog fta receiver you would buy?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

talrudeboy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 19, 2004
What analog fta receiver you would buy? and why?

Do they have analog/digital combos?

Is it me or you need a few receivers to enjoy allot of FTAs?

I have the Toshiba TRX-1520, you can do a search for one of them, it works great!

PSB does that toshiba have a "blind search" capability?

if i am correct, symbol rates don;t come into play with analog riht? so i guess blind search would just be tuning around the dial similar to a radio dial. is there a way to fine-tune transponder frequencies with an analog receiver, sort of a manual blind search?

I just scan through the frequencies just like turning a dial, a lot like blind scan, I think Iceberg has one that works with a dial, that would be sweet, "old school" : )

I'm wondering now, and it might be what GutBomb is also asking, but is there a function you can activate on an analog receiver that will just iterate automatically through all possible Ku or C band frequencies (with a certain stepping value, of course) and gather all the ones with a signal? It internally would work very much like your TV's old fashioned "auto scan for channels" function.

Ive got 4 analog receivers
Toshiba TRX-1420
Uniden Supra
Uniden 2220
Uniden 1000 (the old school model)

I had the 1520..but traded it to Pete :)

Analog doesnt have smart scan. It doesnt need it. The TP have the same parameters across the board. The only difference is the polarity. As an example TP 19 is at 12080. AMC9 its V, G11 its H polarity.
SBS6 is the exception. Once you have it set up, you're all set.

Analog is one transponder one channel. There is no symbol rate. Thats for digital only.

There are a ton of sports stuff on Saturdays. Small collge schools are the big ones, but you can catch the Fox Sports Net Game of the week, usually on G10 (so Cascade can see it) :)

My fav is the Tosiba...real easy to set up. The Uniden has a timer, but if the power goes out, you lose all settings

Iceberg said:
There are a ton of sports stuff on Saturdays. Small collge schools are the big ones, but you can catch the Fox Sports Net Game of the week, usually on G10 (so Cascade can see it) :)

I recorded that game to my harddrive and I'm burning it to DVD and locking it in a safe somewhere, it was a miracle that I caught that game (Cheers 'berg).
If anyone is considering an analog system as something to play with I highly recommend it, the picture quality on the Toshiba 2220 I used was fantastic.

Long live analog!

Since its one channel per TP, the quality is amazing! :)

I watched Oregon/Oklahoma a couple weeks ago and the analog feed the grass was green!! (not washed out)

Iceberg said:
The TP have the same parameters across the board. The only difference is the polarity. As an example TP 19 is at 12080. AMC9 its V, G11 its H polarity.
SBS6 is the exception. Once you have it set up, you're all set.
Another something I didn't know and never noticed. That's good info to have. I see the pattern now, C band starts at 3720MHz, and each transponder is always 20MHz higher than the previous one. Polarity alternates so every other transponder is the same (of course, the reason we have polarity). Ku band seems to start at 11720MHz and also increases by 20MHz.

I was already aware of the Single Channel Per Carrier with analog (the only possibility with analog) which explains the better picture quality. But I never really considered getting an analog receiver until reading this thread. I want one too! :D

An analog receiver is real good addition to have for sports season. SBS6 lights up on Saturdays for small college football :)

Also I should note, with a high enough symbol rate, and low enough compression, digital picture quality should meet or possibly even surpass (in the case of HD) analog, with 2 or so channels per transponder. Analog is just a case of older technology which can't do anything but "take it all" when it comes to the transponder's bandwidth, so picture quality is usually great (if you have a good enough signal). Digital, on the other hand, makes better use of the bandwidth to deliver the content more efficiently so can get of course many channels per transponder. There, I bloviated. :D Boy do I feel better.

But, now to more on-topic questions I have. It looks like most (or all?) analog receivers are only capable of C-band unless you use an external adapter for Ku band. Is this true, and if so, it's apparently how you non-BUD folks are getting analog Ku stuff?

most of the analog receivers will do both C & Ku

The only one of my 4 analog that doesn't is the Uniden 1000. Its C-Band only (its a real old receiver...click knob turner) :)

Iceberg said:
most of the analog receivers will do both C & Ku

The only one of my 4 analog that doesn't is the Uniden 1000. Its C-Band only (its a real old receiver...click knob turner) :)
Dude that rocks. :) So you can't use that receiver currently with only a Ku band dish, or can you with an adaptor? This page (http://www.skyvision.com/store/mi4509012.html) talks about needing a 'C-/Ku-band external switch' for Ku. Is that just a 12V or other type of normal LNBF switcher, or is it something specific to adding Ku band capability to an otherwise C band-only receiver? Not that the particular receiver at that link is what I'm looking for, just it's an example of what I've seen where it says something is needed to give it Ku band access.

Most analog dont need an external adapter.

I just hook the line directly to the receiver and hit the button that changes it to "KU" band and I'm all set :)

My Supra I have C-Band LNB disabled...so it will only deal with KU

talrudeboy said:
Do they have analog/digital combos?
Yes they do, Motorola owns the 4DTV C-band market now.
I bought a used DSR-922 4DTV unit that does Analog and DC-2 (Not DVB).
I have not gotten it to work with my 30" dish to pull in KU analog. As a matter of fact I tried looping thru my 330A to the 922 and the dish would no longer turn so I had to aim the dish then switch the cable over.
Worried that the unit was not working I drove 180 miles round trip to a location where we still have a BUD with a Uniden. The DSR-922 worked excellent hooked to the BUD.

So i guess what i am trying to say is don't buy one of these newer units for analog only you can pick up an analog only unit on EBay much cheaper.

Just a quote from Tele-Satellite magazine issue 9/10/04:

"Every month 10 freely receivable analog channels disappear, as do three encrypted channels and five radio channels. If this rate of disappearance continues, every analog channel will vanish in three or four years leaving only channels that are transmitted digitally."

Personally, it looks like it's not worth the investment unless you can get something used or you are loaded and wish to spend lots of dough :cool:

If you can find a Chaparral Monterey 95 somewhere they make great analog receivers
and they are easy to adjust for different Ku transponder frequencies and they have an
awesome picture, not all KU sats have the same frequency for the same transponders and with the Monterey 95 it is very easy to set any frequency you want to any transponder. Any C-band receiver will also work well for moving a big dish even when all the analog channels are gone plus the Monterey has an excellent signal strength display that works well for finding Sat's even if the signal is digital.

Hows this for simple.
DSC_0007.JPG

nasko said:
Just a quote from Tele-Satellite magazine issue 9/10/04:

"Every month 10 freely receivable analog channels disappear, as do three encrypted channels and five radio channels. If this rate of disappearance continues, every analog channel will vanish in three or four years leaving only channels that are transmitted digitally."

Personally, it looks like it's not worth the investment unless you can get something used or you are loaded and wish to spend lots of dough :cool:

Lets see
$20 for an analog receiver
14 college football games on Analog in the clear

I think its worth it...

Had games on SBS6 on channels 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 12, 14 AT THE SAME TIME!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Showtime in FTA?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)