Warner, Fox, Disney to Launch Streaming Sports Joint Venture

The licensing deal that Fox has in place with Hulu is non-exclusive.
Only with Tubi-

The agreement preserves a shared exclusive with Fox-owned streaming platform Tubi.

Fox also has in-season streaming rights for its own shows (allowing them to stream on the authenticated Fox app).
FoxNow was shut down in July, 2023.

If they wanted to, Fox could make additional deals to license that content next-day to other services, e.g. Peacock, Max, etc.
They looked into that if the Hulu deal was not renewed-

the independent network last year had started asking outside studios for flexibility to be able to sell shows to a new in-season stacking partner should the Hulu deal not get renewed.

If what you say is correct, post a link.

The licensing deal that Fox has in place with Hulu is non-exclusive. Fox also has in-season streaming rights for its own shows (allowing them to stream on the authenticated Fox app). If they wanted to, Fox could make additional deals to license that content next-day to other services, e.g. Peacock, Max, etc.
Are you talking about the FOX NOW app? They shut that down months ago.

If I want ESPN, that cheaper base price better be the same price I can get all the other services individually directly from them. Then why is there even a need for the streaming provider? This is why I say the entire market will be changed by this. Streaming will have zero reason to pay a provider when you get $0 savings versus DTC.
This is why I have been saying for the past few years that when ESPN (in its entirety) goes DTC, that's the beginning of the end of the cable bundle. That's when the floodgates open. The whole thing breaks apart into a few DTC chunks. And we can see the outlines of it now. Disney will put their non-sports content (including what is now Hulu) in Disney+. Their sports goes into ESPN.

The question is how the rest of the bundle breaks apart. All of those other smaller media companies --NBCUniversal, WBD, Paramount, Fox, AMC, Starz, Hallmark, etc. -- can't profitably compete with their own separate mini-bundles. So the question is how they consolidate, either through M&A or joint ventures, and then how (or if) they carve up their content by type, i.e. general entertainment vs. sports vs. premium.

It remains to be seen what Comcast (NBCU) does with Peacock. Having NBCU tucked inside a larger, profitable company (i.e. the nation's largest broadband provider) keeps Wall Street pressure off of it. Their public-facing attitude, at least, is that they are pleased with how Peacock complements the rest of their media portfolio and they are content to see how it continues to fare as a unified DTC mini-bundle that encompasses all their stuff: general entertainment (NBC, Bravo, Hallmark, etc.), sports, and premium (first-run uncut Universal movies in 4K HDR).

But the pressure is very much on Paramount and WBD to come up with a new approach because what either one is doing now ain't working. So if you're looking for movement on the DTC front, those are the two to watch. I think the likeliest scenario is either a JV between the two (new brand?) or Paramount simply licensing most of their stuff to Max. In either scenario, the Paramount+ app takes a dirt nap.

But I'm skeptical that even a tie-up of Max and Paramount+ would have what it takes to survive and thrive. Which is why I think WBD should make a play for most of Fox Corp. Work out a cash and stock deal with Murdoch to merge all of Fox except for the Fox News Division in with WBD. Murdoch would retain the rights to the Fox brand, meaning that the Fox broadcast net, Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2 would all see rebrands under WBD. Murdoch might merge Fox News into his News Corp. alongside the Wall Street Journal and other right-leaning news outlets around the world.

Then I'd go a step further and strike licensing deals with Nexstar (owner of CW) and Scripps (owner of Ion) to get their live sports on the joint WBD/Paramount DTC streamer. Putting together all the sports across CBS, Fox, FS1, FS2, Big 10 Network, TNT, TBS, CW and Ion (plus the niche non-cable stuff like foreign soccer that currently streams in Max and P+) would be a pretty decent package. They could sell that on a standalone basis to compete against ESPN and Peacock.

Then they could take the non-sports content, which would include entertainment and news shows from a range of networks/brands -- CBS, Fox, Max Originals, CNN, CBS News, Showtime, Paramount, CW, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, MTV, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Discovery, HGTV, TLC, Magnolia, OWN, ID, etc. -- and market that as a competitor to Disney+ and Netflix. They could also include local newscasts from stations owned by CBS, Fox, Nexstar and Scripps.

I would not include HBO as a non-optional part of that service but would instead spin it back out as its own standalone service which could be optionally accessed inside the general entertainment app as a discounted add-on.

I'll admit that a deal between WBD and Fox probably won't happen. But I think there's a pretty good chance that we'll at least see some kind of DTC tie-up between WBD and Paramount.

Reactions: Rolling Joe
Are you talking about the FOX NOW app? They shut that down months ago.
Ah, true. But they do still stream current-season Fox primetime shows on an authenticated basis via Fox.com. My larger point is that Fox did not sign away exclusive in-season streaming rights to their primetime shows to Hulu. That's a non-exclusive deal as Fox continues to retain in-season stacking rights.

Ah, true. But they do still stream current-season Fox primetime shows on an authenticated basis via Fox.com. My larger point is that Fox did not sign away exclusive in-season streaming rights to their primetime shows to Hulu. That's a non-exclusive deal as Fox continues to retain in-season stacking rights.
Still waiting for evidence that is true.

You keep posting that piece of information, yet have not provided a link.

Still waiting for evidence that is true.

You keep posting that piece of information, yet have not provided a link.
Login to fox and test it yourself, you don't even need to login actually

New episode from last night is available along with all of season 4

Even a show you claim is exclusively licensed to Hulu is available for the current season

Login to fox and test it yourself, you don't even need to login actually

New episode from last night is available along with all of season 4

Even a show you claim is exclusively licensed to Hulu is available for the current season
On Fox’s site, yes, but that is not a paid streaming service, I am referring to the fact that Nashguy claimed, that Fox can sell the rights for in season shows, to other streaming services.

There is no evidence I can find, that proves the statement true, as I shown in my post above, with links to back up what I have been posting.

Reactions: harshness
Court Case not until late 2025.

The smart thing to do, just drop Venu, doubtful a Judge will lift the order preventing Venu from starting up, even if Disney and the rest win, unlikely, it will not start up until 2026.

The world will be in a different place, ESPN Streaming will have already started, maybe with a Fox Sports add on pack ( rumors are they are talking about this again).

Google Scores NFL Sunday Ticket Package

Replacing Dish Network Options?