Wait before leaping to MPEG 4

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hamm3r

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2005
I know that many of you have said the same. Don't rush to "upgrade". Had a technician out to correct a problem (replace multiswitch) and started asking questions on the new dish, H20, R15, etc. He was saying that they have been receiving many calls on problems with the new Directv equipment. Besides the fact that you gain nothing and lose HD DVR. I was looking forward to getting the latest toys, but this first-hand info combined with other posts on this site have satiated that hunger. I have 2 HR10-250's that have spoiled me. I'll wait like many others for the new MPEG4 HD-DVR.

As someone that recieves locals already in the NY area, is there any benefit to upgrading now?

I see absolutely no benefit whatsoever in upgrading if you are in the NY area. I'm in NY and have no desire to upgrade. I have an HD DVR and all my locals. You get nothing for your trouble and if you have the HD DVR you will actually lose in the deal. Also, you will be obligated for another 2 years. With Verizon FIOS in NY and on the verge of providing television service, it would appear to me the D* is about to lose a major market. FIOS will be delivering full HD not the down rez'd version D* is sending.

Hamm3r said:
Besides the fact that you gain nothing and lose HD DVR. I was looking forward to getting the latest toys, but this first-hand info combined with other posts on this site have satiated that hunger. I have 2 HR10-250's that have spoiled me. I'll wait like many others for the new MPEG4 HD-DVR.

Not sure what you mean by "LOOSE HD DVR", because your current HR10-250s will still work with the new system, you just won't be able to receive any signals that are in MPG4. The new antenna just adds LNBs to receive the new satellites, plus the ones you now receive with the 3 LNB dish. D* is coming out with a new DVR soon, that will replace the HR10-250. It will have the capability to receive the present MPG2 and new MPG4 signals, just like the new H20 receiver does. I am sure that they will be offering some kind of a deal for swap out, but I don't think they have announced anything at this point yet.

Sorry. I don't have anything written on that, just repeating what I've been reading on the FIOS board. I'll look to see if I can find a thread that stated this.

No question I'll be waiting to upgrade to MPEG4. Hope the bugs in the equiptment and the techs getting used to the new dish installs are history by the time they pry my HR10-250 from my warm live hands!! (pun!)--Ray

timmac said:
Sorry. I don't have anything written on that, just repeating what I've been reading on the FIOS board. I'll look to see if I can find a thread that stated this.

Well to be such a huge advantage they don't promote or advertise that statement on their own pamphlets or website; this will be another wait and see.

I am in the NYC area and see no reason to upgrade. They are only adding PBS and not UPN or WB. I get 7 HD locals on cable ( fiber by the way) with better picture quality.

Iwas a Voom customer that signed with DTV based on the HD locals and 150 national HD hype. What a mistake!!! DTV is all promise and no substance.

I will probably stick with cable only when my committment is up. I can not see a 2 year committment for more hollow promises

I'm looking foward to Fios also here in NY. But I heard its still about a year away. I also heard that their ch's will be full res...but I heard that from a verizon rep at a booth at the mall that they had set up. One thing is certain...more competition will be good for us.
I too am tired of waiting for Directv to add more HD but if you are in NY you are missing WB and UPN and WNET. All of which I currently get via OTA.....so I have no reason to upgrade either. Now if they added some extra HD national ch's I would jump. But I know better.

Wise advice. We get pristine local HD OTA here already in the Dallas DMA and we enjoy our HD TiVo, so the MPEG 4 offering and rebroadcasting local HD is, to us, merely magic beans and a stunningly stupid use of increased bandwidth. Comcast, already here, is advancing on our area with fiber optics, and Verizon will soon expand FIOS, so we look forward to evaluating alternatives.

In the meantime, we treasure our HD recording capability, and they will have to pry my TiVo from my cold, dead fingers.

Last night Direc had an outage on the fiber line from Columbus disrupting local channels for about 10-12 hours. (in the 4th quarter of a bowl game no less, can you imagine if it happens during the Fiesta bowl?) People at the bar and friends of mine were blowing up my phone wondering what was wrong. Since we get more HD stations OTA than Direc will offer LIL there is absolutely no reason to upgrade come April.
I'll wait until Spaceway 10 and 11 are up to (hopefully) get a new Phase III sized dish rather than a topsail on the house.

Happy Camper said:
We get pristine local HD OTA here already in the Dallas .
Yes....I forgot that.....OTA is the best HD you can watch currently. At least it's the best around me.

dlm10541 said:
I was a Voom customer that signed with DTV based on the HD locals and 150 national HD hype. What a mistake!!! DTV is all promise and no substance.

Here we go again! What a load of crap; it has been clearly stated from the beginning that it would be BY 2007 and 150 capable. They have to get all the birds built and in orbit first; as well as having more full-time HD channels even available to add. There are a few out there for DBS and cable to offer, maybe 20 total not counting your local networks or exclusives OWNED by competing cable. As far as locals go, it was always stated to expect ONLY the 4 major networks. Get a grip, there have been no broken promises.

***EDIT***

Found a current list: http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5119938-1.html

24 Total

Cinemax HD
Comcast SportsNet
Discovery HD Theater
ESPN HD
ESPN2 HD
Food Network HD
Fox HD
HGTV HD
HBO HDTV
HDNet
HDNet Movies
INHD1
INHD2
The Movie Channel HD
MSG Network
National Geographic Channel HD
NBA HD
NFL HD
OLN HD
Showtime HDTV
Starz HD
TNT-HD
Universal HD
Voom HD package

Last edited:
charper1 said:
Here we go again! What a load of crap; it has been clearly stated from the beginning that it would be BY 2007 and 150 capable. They have to get all the birds built and in orbit first; as well as having more full-time HD channels even available to add. There are a few out there for DBS and cable to offer, maybe 20 total not counting your local networks or exclusives OWNED by competing cable. As far as locals go, it was always stated to expect ONLY the 4 major networks. Get a grip, there have been no broken promises.
There really haven't been broken promises ....for me there is no need to upgrade because there is no HD available yet. If they add alot of HD in 2007 then I'll jump. I just don't have the patience to wait another year for some more HD. I spent the extra money for a Dish receiver and sub to their HD pack plus VOOM. That holds me over for now. Charper1 you did list 24 HD ch's but with the VOOM pack it's a bit more than that. You do make good points....I believe Directv will get things going in 2007. That's just the problem....I can't upgrade for something that will happen in more than a year.

I listed Voom as one channel because you get none or all. I wouldn't list all the seperate NFL Sunday Ticket games as seperate channels either; just one. This is exactly how the HD info lists them, not me.

Sorry Charper1(your holiness)!!

I didn't mean to offend your sensibilities. Direct Tv wasn't making the claims directly at least. I actually fell for the hype on this forum from dealers and others and cancelled my Dish installation. My problem is more unfufilled expectations than anything else.

To this day dealers are saying 150 national HD in 2006---not capability!!

charper1 said:

***EDIT***

Found a current list: http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5119938-1.html

24 Total

Cinemax HD
Comcast SportsNet
Discovery HD Theater
ESPN HD
ESPN2 HD
Food Network HD
Fox HD
HGTV HD
HBO HDTV
HDNet
HDNet Movies
INHD1
INHD2
The Movie Channel HD
MSG Network
National Geographic Channel HD
NBA HD
NFL HD
OLN HD
Showtime HDTV
Starz HD
TNT-HD
Universal HD
Voom HD package

WealthTVHD even though it sucks. Voom had it at the end.
And there are 2 feeds, east and west, of SHOHD, HBOHD, MaxHD and StarzHD.
Also 15-21 Voom channels. I know they are not all turned on yet on Dish.

I think that makes 24-1+(15-21)+4 = 42-48 HD channels Id refer to this thread when looking for all of the HD channels http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=419472&page=2&pp=30

Last edited:
charper1 said:
I listed Voom as one channel because you get none or all. I wouldn't list all the seperate NFL Sunday Ticket games as seperate channels either; just one. This is exactly how the HD info lists them, not me.
I wouldnt list ST because its basically a one day a week set of PPV channels in a package. Absolutely no comparison to the Voom package. Nice try though:rolleyes:

Happy Camper said:
so the MPEG 4 offering and rebroadcasting local HD is, to us, merely magic beans and a stunningly stupid use of increased bandwidth.

Why? Just because you can get OTA doesn't mean everyone in your DMA can.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NYC MPEG4 in da house!

A little confused on these HD basketball games

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)