Vista as DVR with older comcast box???

rachel308

Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
I have an HP laptop with Vista Home Premium, with Windows Media Center. I have Comcast Digital Cable through a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2200. I am trying to use Media Center as a digitial video recorder since I no longer own a VCR. I hooked a S-Video cable coming out of my box into my computer, but my computer tells me it cannot find the TV signal.

Is what I'm trying possible with this hardware setup? Or even at all? And if it's possible (hopefully-trying not to spend money on this), what am I doing wrong? I'm pretty computer literate, but can't seem to find the S-Video "port" on my laptop- I wanted to verify that it was a "In", not and "Out" port. I'm pretty sure I can use an S-Video to connect to my TV to use it as a computer monitor, but I'm trying to go the other way. Can anybody help me?

You need a video input device. Most laptops don't have one built-in, the port you are connecting to is an output.

Rachel-
Hi, I'm Cody, and I'm working with the Windows Media Outreach Team to help answer questions folks might have about their copies of Windows Media Center.
Pepper has you on the right track. . .you're going to need a TV tuner to turn your Media Center into a functional DVR. Here's a link to a site I think'll be very helpful for you: How do I watch or record TV on my computer? - Windows Vista Help
Good luck, let me know if I can help in any other way!
Thanks,
Cody
Windows Media Outreach Team

blackbelt tv

UVerse 802.11n?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)