Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
What: Cable Choice Now Coalition Press Conference
Date: Friday, December 2, 2005
Time: 10:00 a.m.
Location: 2nd Floor Board Room, Omni Hotel, Richmond, Virginia

Today, the Cable Choice Now Coalition will hold a press conference to announce their formation to promote cable video competition in Virginia. The coalition will be supporting anticipated legislation in the upcoming Session of the Virginia General Assembly to bring choice of cable providers to consumers sooner. This issue is likely to be one of the most high-profile issues of the General Assembly Session. At the press conference the coalition will also release a poll conducted in Virginia regarding consumers’ opinions about cable competition.

i had the opportunity to listen in and it was very informative. riff or myself will post more info on this later today.

if you have not had a chance to sign up with the cable choice now coalition, i highly encourge you to do so. information on this is a sticky on the main page.

Press Conference: Cable Choice Now Announces Formation

Well, I survived the Press Conference. I was certainly out of my element (not in the media circle) and I was quite surprised to learn the Coalition used many of my talking points and decided to let me present such a large portion of the press conference. Yikes! Anyway, I learned a lot and met a number of contacts. :)

I was hoping to take a lot more photographs, but when your mug is in front of the cameras, such details are suddenly much less important. I have attached a few photos that I took prior to the conference as well as one that was taken during rehearsal - I'm the one running his yap. The press conference was given by three Coalition co-chairs: Verizon Virginia Inc., a Think Tank (represented by Cavalier Telephone), and Citizens Representative (me!). I will provide more detail at a later time.

Anyway, members of the press treated us very well. Initially two reporters (one from the Richmond Times Dispatch) appeared to be skeptical of Verizon's involvement with the Coalition. However, after the press conference we were able to sit down with members of the press and they understood what Verizon, Cavalier and others were trying to achieve was, "A level playing field and more cable choices for consumers."

I'll post more information and documents as I receive them. Additionally, Richmond area news crews were there to provide video coverage of the event and conduct interviews after the fact. Their news story will be condensed into a 1 1/2 minute segment and will be broadcast later this evening in the Richmond area. I will try to record it on my 942, but I should [hopefully] receive an mpg/avi of the event early next week.

I was able to mention satelliteguys.us & hightechtv.net and refer to our Cable and Fiber Television Forums a few times. The story and links are being provided to the Associate Press. Hopefully this information will be included. :clap

Attachments

• Cable Choice Now One-Pager 9-22-05.pdf
    93.5 KB · Views: 179
  • A bold telecom proposal Wash Times.doc
    31.5 KB · Views: 206
  • Riffenburg Remarks 12-1-05.doc
    28 KB · Views: 186
  • CSE The Case for Cable Choice.doc
    41.5 KB · Views: 216
  • Lobby of the Richmond Omni.JPG
    Lobby of the Richmond Omni.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 212
  • Outside the Boardroom.JPG
    Outside the Boardroom.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 220
  • Plenty of Choices Display.JPG
    Plenty of Choices Display.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 197
  • Camera Crew Setting Up.JPG
    Camera Crew Setting Up.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 226
  • Rehearsal.JPG
    Rehearsal.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 223
I Just wanted to point out that Cable Choice Now! membership has more than doubled in the past two weeks. There are now more than 2600 enrolled members and, equally important, roughly 200 letters have been written to state legislators from the website. :)

Package comparison

Lets compare DirecTv's Family Package with Dish AT60

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)