VIP722K recently started locking up... Bad unit or is there a issue with L750?

bigpotatopat

Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Minneapolis
I have a VIP 722K that has started freezing (locking up) in the past few weeks. I usually notice the problem after the unit has been on for a hour or so and then I try to change channels. The unit becomes unresponsive to the remote controls. I unplug the unit for a few moments and plug it back in and it reboots and then work fine again. I've had it lock up about 4 times in the past couple weeks, two of those lock ups being in the past two nights.

I'm on software/firmware version L750. I was wondering if my VIP722K is staring to go bad, or is it a problem with the L750 build.

I also noticed my hard drive temp max value has gotten up to 140 degrees. It seems to be slowly rising. I do have the unit sitting in a entertainment center, but the front of the entertainment center is open and I've even put spacers under the VIP 722K to try to get better air circulation around it, but the temp seems to keep climbing.

Thank You
Pat

My 722K is doing the exact same thing. I also have the L750 software. My remote will quit operating except for on and off. I have to do a reset about twice a week. Also effects the second tuner and remote. Anyone else see this?

Sorry but my 722K has OTA, but it isn't used for anything at the present, if that makes a difference. But no lock-ups.

My 722k with OTA doesn't lock up either ... until I tune to a marginal OTA channel. I think it's pretty clear at this point something new in L750 has broken the 722k's ability to handle OTA drop-outs gracefully.

@mdavej ... you mean like any previous firmware really handled the OTA module that well? There have been issues with OTA modules and weak signals doing bad things a very long time :) lol ...

I have two 722k's, 1 with OTA, 1 without .. BOTH are on L750 .. NEITHER ONE has any lockup problems.

I do have "sluggish TV1 remote" problems intermittently. Had it happen yesterday but haven't had it happen for a week prior ... and then had it happen 3 days in a row, without a slow down for the 2 weeks before that ... just comes and goes on its own with no rhyme or reason.

Older versions would do bad things now and then, but I could recover by simply changing the channel, or running a check switch at worst. On L750, the DVR won't respond at all, requiring a RBR. I've just stopped watching live OTA for now (recording OTA still works fine).

I haven't had any sluggish TV1 remote problems at all. I have had crazy skip back behavior, sometimes going all the way back to the beginning of a program. So far L750 has been rather frustrating to say the least. Hopefully, I won't have a 722k for much longer and will get to enjoy all the new Hopper bugs.

@mdavej ... you mean like any previous firmware really handled the OTA module that well? There have been issues with OTA modules and weak signals doing bad things a very long time :) lol ...

I have two 722k's, 1 with OTA, 1 without .. BOTH are on L750 .. NEITHER ONE has any lockup problems.

I do have "sluggish TV1 remote" problems intermittently. Had it happen yesterday but haven't had it happen for a week prior ... and then had it happen 3 days in a row, without a slow down for the 2 weeks before that ... just comes and goes on its own with no rhyme or reason.

My 722k/wMT2 has gone from 4 lockups a day,(ever since downloading L750) down to 2 lockups a day,so it's getting better.I had no lockups with L690.

I would guess this is due to the Hopper going online,but what do I know.:rolleyes:

I have had no OTA issues.

How Hopper/Joey can help my setup?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)