VIP 622 OTA connected to Cable

RSNovi

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Hi,

I have been trying to search and understand the capabilities of the OTA tuner in the 622. I get my Internet through my cable company which also gives me basic cable. I would like to be able to watch a number of the basic cable channels such as some locals and the Weather Channel.

I realize that the 622 doesn't have a QAM tuner so the HD channels won't be possible. This is a bummer, but I can still tune the HD channels in with my TV.

For the other standard definition channels, should the 622 be able to tune these in or does the OTA tuner only work for tuning in digital HD which are supported? I would like to be able to watch and record the rest of the basic cable channels which are not HD.

Thanks.

It's not a matter of someone knowing how to connect it. The 622/722 hardware cannot tune cable channels. You cannot use the 622/722 as a tuner for cable, nor can you record cable channels on thes E* receivers.

If the government was ever going to do anything useful, they should've made it mandatory for cable companies to carry local channels in 8VSB rather than QAM. There should've never been a need for a QAM tuner in a set without CableCARD. But no, they let money rather than science rule again.

The FCC is currently considering a "bit-for-bit" rule for digital must carry stations that have the cable and satellite companies squacking like chickens on the way to slaughter! I love it!

See ya
Tony

I expect that's for full resolution and all sub-channels. (Neither of which would be a bad thing for the consumer.) I would be very very surprised if it was to require 8VSB instead of QAM.
(How did we end up with 8VSB over-the-air anyway? Was it more efficient than the alternatives? Because I seem to remember there was some controversy over whether it would be too susceptible to multipath interference, and also I'm not sure whether it's used outside of North America.)

622 with a 6' & 8'dish help request

Add multi-sports pack online?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)