VideocypherII?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

swampman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
South Louisiana
I currently have an FTA setup, but getting a bit interested in c-band but know little about it. I'm thinking about starting with analog. I assume I will need a videocypher to descramble?(I think to actually bring in the video?) And why doesnt these receivers have it built in? Also, is 4DTV the only digital receiver? And can I assume all other receivers are analog? Thanks in advance, and forgive a rookie ;)

I currently have an FTA setup, but getting a bit interested in c-band but know little about it. I'm thinking about starting with analog. I assume I will need a videocypher to descramble?(I think to actually bring in the video?)
correct

And why doesnt these receivers have it built in?
originally they weren't needed since everything was free :D
As to why not know, no idea. I guess to make more money

Also, is 4DTV the only digital receiver?
correct. The 905,920,922 are 4DTV receivers and can get analog free, analog subscription (if you subscribe), Digital free (DCII) and Digital subscription. The FTA box you have right now does DVB coding (versus DCII)
And can I assume all other receivers are analog?
pretty much :)

Hey thanks guys. The picture is getting a little "less foggy". :D

And Iceberg, yeah I remember my Dad getting an 8 ft fiberglass back in the early eighties when everything was free and wide open! Those were good times. :D

correct. The 905,920,922 are 4DTV receivers and can get analog free, analog subscription (if you subscribe), Digital free (DCII) and Digital subscription. The FTA box you have right now does DVB coding (versus DCII)

Ice, the 905 doesn't get analog.

You Can Get A Analog Receiver. There Pretty Cheap on ebay for a used one if you wanted to use the 905 sidecar to slave with

I love my 905. Bought it two years ago from flea-bay for 200 dollars new in the box.

has been very reliable. I do not own a vc-2 board. My analog just gets the free analog stuff and move the dish. Also have a fortec ultra slaved to the system.

VCII unscrambles the analog subscription feeds (which are dwindling) 4DTV gets the digital subcription feeds...

OK at first I thought a VCII was an additional unit, but from what I've read it sounds like a card thats inserted to the back of an analog receiver(I assume it's legal, right? LOL) If that is the case, any receiver I happen to find, say on fleabay, won't work without a VCII card? And will any VCII card work with any receiver? Sorry if these questions sound trivial. :rolleyes: I'm trying to get an understanding of how c-band works by reading and asking questions. :)

OK at first I thought a VCII was an additional unit, but from what I've read it sounds like a card thats inserted to the back of an analog receiver(I assume it's legal, right? LOL)
Its actually a module that originally came in a standalone box back when HBO started scrambling and the other programmers followed suit.
If that is the case, any receiver I happen to find, say on fleabay, won't work without a VCII card? And will any VCII card work with any receiver?
They will work, but will only pick up the clear analog channels (unencrypted)
Sorry if these questions sound trivial. :rolleyes: I'm trying to get an understanding of how c-band works by reading and asking questions. :)
Have you read the C-Band FAQ's at the top of the C-Band forum yet?

Its actually a module that originally came in a standalone box back when HBO started scrambling and the other programmers followed suit.They will work, but will only pick up the clear analog channels (unencrypted) Have you read the C-Band FAQ's at the top of the C-Band forum yet?
Yes actually I had glanced through it about a week ago. But I will go back through it again, thanks.

If you're looking to use a VCII module to subscribe to movies, the time is soon coming to an end. On 1 June, satellites G0, F3 and F4 will terminate the movie services. Then on 31 August, G1 will stop the movie services there. That will only leave G5. There will be some other program channels that will require VCII but no telling how long till they're gone. For long-term big dish subscription TV watching, I believe 4DTV is the way to go. Have fun.

If you're looking to use a VCII module to subscribe to movies, the time is soon coming to an end. For long-term big dish subscription TV watching, I believe 4DTV is the way to go. Have fun.

Well I'm really just looking at the free stuff to start off with assuming I can find an analog receiver fairly cheap, however if things go well I may opt for a 4DTV unit. Which brings me to a question. I keep hearing about how analog is actually clearer than, say Directv(which I currently sub to). Is that still the case?

P.S. Sorry if I've drifted off my original topic, but any suggestions on a used analog receiver with a proven track record is much appreciated. And also what to look for in a receiver. Hopefully people will chime in on this one. Thanks.

VCRS module

i dont know if you've seen one or not but i thought if not here is what one looks like just a thought they come in differnt colors and made by differnet people some channel master which is what mine is but i looked inside of it . and its made by GI but here is some pics

Attachments

• VCRS Module.jpg
    VCRS Module.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 168
  • VCRS 2.jpg
    VCRS 2.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 154
i dont know if you've seen one or not but i thought if not here is what one looks like just a thought they come in differnt colors and made by differnet people some channel master which is what mine is but i looked inside of it . and its made by GI but here is some pics

Yeah I've only seen pics. I notice one looks like it has a card in it and the other doesnt. Is that the VCII card?

Yeah I've only seen pics. I notice one looks like it has a card in it and the other doesnt. Is that the VCII card?

i dont know what the cards are for..but they dont use cards in them that i know of. all they do is use your Unit id to put service on it. call up nps or skyvision and give them the unit id and they hit it and boom service is on it. no need to plug in a cord or anything i think the modem port was for PPV back when

If memory serves me right the ones with the card are the VCRS boards, a card was never issues because it was never fully cracked.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

4dtv 922 question

Need Help With DSR922 and BSC621

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)