Verizon buying Frontier

I've seen the progression here from Illinois Bell to GTE to Verizon to Frontier. I remember thinking "what's a Verizon," but I digress. I had Frontier DSL until a local-regional (Mid Century) put fiber into the town, and have now been on that for a half-dozen years. Currently I have broadband availability from cable, phone co., a WISP and fiber.

So if the phone co. (Frontier/Verizon) decides to go FTTH, I would wonder how they would do the infrastructure. Mid Century is all below ground, while Frontier is on poles like the old days. Would they be putting their fiber up there, or might they also look to go underground?
Verizon in the northeast is on poles...don't know about how they did California or Florida

Who is this "they" in this case?
The companies involved, at the instruction of the people who stand to benefit the most. That is, the execs and the boards. In the case of the McClatchy merger, there was also an activist investor steering KR to sell.

Reactions: AZ.
The companies involved, at the instruction of the people who stand to benefit the most. That is, the execs and the boards. In the case of the McClatchy merger, there was also an activist investor steering KR to sell.
It's the share holders who appoint the board

It's the share holders who appoint the board
Yes, the share holders vote on board members. The members are nominated, usually by existing board members and sometimes by owners of large numbers of shares. Due to stock compensation for executives, that can include existing officers of the company. However, the money and stock to pay the participants in completing a successful merger comes from the companies involved, which is what my answer meant.

Reactions: AZ.
Yes, the share holders vote on board members. The members are nominated, usually by existing board members and sometimes by owners of large numbers of shares. Due to stock compensation for executives, that can include existing officers of the company. However, the money and stock to pay the participants in completing a successful merger comes from the companies involved, which is what my answer meant.
No..no and no...a company like Verizon has large shareholders like Black Rock investment group...whoever controls those groups..controls the board..kinda like what the Rockefellers did in the 70s

The companies involved, at the instruction of the people who stand to benefit the most. That is, the execs and the boards.
The executives serve the Board and the Board serves the investors. Every publicly traded company operates on that principle.

For Verizon, the largest chunk of shares represents less than 8% of the outstanding shares.

If this isn't a workable model, how would you change it?

As a customer, the obvious change is to another vendor (voting with your wallet).

In other news, the Black Hats are using this Verizon news to target Frontier customers to “scare” users into clicking a link to “install the 2024 App” before their “FRONTIER email access is removed 0n September 07”. I had to provide Tech Support to talk the Frontier user off the ledge. Another hint? The email was “sent” from an Ubisoft domain.

Frontier needs to up their SPAM filters to make sure emails like this don’t make it to their customers’ Inboxes.

The executives serve the Board and the Board serves the investors. Every publicly traded company operates on that principle.

For Verizon, the largest chunk of shares represents less than 8% of the outstanding shares.

If this isn't a workable model, how would you change it?

As a customer, the obvious change is to another vendor (voting with your wallet).
Not saying I have the solution. I just think that paying people largely in stock, and incentivizing mergers by attaching large stock bonuses to the completion of the mergers creates short term gains for the people receiving the stock compensation and long term losses for companies by encouraging those in charge to take on huge amounts of debt to get the mergers across the finish line.

Not saying I have the solution. I just think that paying people largely in stock, and incentivizing mergers by attaching large stock bonuses to the completion of the mergers creates short term gains for the people receiving the stock compensation and long term losses for companies by encouraging those in charge to take on huge amounts of debt to get the mergers across the finish line.
It's called putting skin in the game...they do what they are told to do by the stockholders...which owned stock on both companies

Probably already mentioned but looks like VZ bought back all their former GTE territory. Hopefully this means continued fiber expansion !

Years ago my land phone with unlimited long distance, + features and dsl was $60 lol

Can't wait to get fios , sick of paying $120 mo to the competition for horrible service. Had an outage earlier today got a whopping $2 credit smh. So sick of this horific service.

My transistion to fiber

Charter claims they are going to provide better pricing