Using Round Dish for HR24 until spring?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hardwood63

Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Minnesota
I was wondering if it is possible to use my round ... non hd dish with an HR24? Was planning to install a Slimline dish in spring once the weather gets a bit better. I already have the Slimline dish SL3 with splitter and inverter. Do I need to use any of this stuff with my round dish or just connect directly to the receiver? Or do I just forget about it?
Thanks for your help on this.

Tried it - changed setup to round dish but it also asked which I had, SWM1 or Multi Switch - no option given to select none. A kept saying that there was a problem with the antenna connection. Had cable connected to Satellite in 1.

Set it to round 18 and multiswitch. Even though you're not using 1 it's what the receiver is required to be set to. As far as programming goes you'll get all your normal channels MINUS the HD. Btw, be sure to set the tuner for either single or dual. If you only have 1 line you'll see "searching for satillite in tuner 2" unless you change it

Hutch1814 said:
Set it to round 18 and multiswitch. Even though you're not using 1 it's what the receiver is required to be set to. As far as programming goes you'll get all your normal channels MINUS the HD. Btw, be sure to set the tuner for either single or dual. If you only have 1 line you'll see "searching for satillite in tuner 2" unless you change it

Cha ching

OKY-DOKY I will give this a try today. One more question, if I want to connect my non-hd receiver to the swimline splitter do I need to do anything special ... a converter or something?
Thanks Again!

hardwood63 said:
OKY-DOKY I will give this a try today. One more question, if I want to connect my non-hd receiver to the swimline splitter do I need to do anything special ... a converter or something?
Thanks Again!

Swimline? If SWM then you'll need to be sure it's SWM capadable and you have all the SWM stuff (LNB, power inserter, splitter) If slimline then no, it will work. I

OOPS - guess I got off track and was thinking about this Spring - once I got the Slimline SL3 dish mounted and the SWM splitter and power inverter installed ... then would I need a B Band converter or ? to connect the non-hd receiver (D12-500) to the SWM splitter or do I need to keep my old round dish for this receiver?
Thanks for all the help - got the HR24 working with the round dish!

If you have a SWM setup no BBC (B-Band converters) are needed.
The D12 can work off a SWM setup. Its the only SD receiver model that can

OK - not sure if there is a better place to ask this but ... I put up the slimline dish, installed the inverter and have 20 +/- volts on the cable at the dish, set the dish to the coordinates for my address, plugged the cable from the dish into the input of the splitter, the "power to swm" cable from the inverter to the red connection on the splitter, the other inverter connection to the HR24. I have the mast "right on the bubble", and tried to find the satellite but got nothing. Receiver automatically recognizes the ... dang not at home so don't remember what it said but I know I could not change it nor the switch type. Set it to dual tuner - still nothing. Is it that tricky to locate the satellite or is something else wrong?

I wouldn't trust the bubble in the mast, use a post level to be sure the mast is plumb. It's really important. Then double check the settings for skew and elevation. Make sure you are pointing at 101 and not 110. Patience is the key here. Go slowly when you are moving the dish to give time for any changes to register.

As stated above make sure it's level. SWM is touchy and takes a second to find the signal. Go slow and make sure all your settings are correct

OK got a picture - darn compass was throwing me off for one thing. One question, when watch NCIS via satellite it says it is 720, when I switch it over to OTA it says it is in 1080. I didn't get a chance to fine tune the dish so could this be the reason or is it something else?
Thanks again for the help.

If you have Minneapolis locals WCCO is in 1080i on both OTA & satellite

ABC, Fox, My and CW are in 720p
NBC (KARE 11) us also 1080i

Yup - watching wcco - so to get 1080 on satellite instead of 720 need to ??

My son just informed about the "format button" on the remote so I got it changed to 1080i ... maybe it is just my eyes but when I switch back and forth between the OTA and the Dish it sure looks to me like the OTA picture is noticeably better, more crisp. But then again maybe these ol' eyes are playing tricks on me.

Thanks again for the help
Hardwood

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

HR23-700 Won't Power UP

Moving back to DTV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)