Using RG59 cable for TV2

viqventeur

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
San Diego
I am getting conflicting information on whether you can use RG59 cable for TV2 output on a dual tuner rec. I know you cannot use it for sat feeds. I came across a very old cable the other day. I assume it was RG59 based on the conductor size. The cable diameter itself was very small, not much dielectric but was in good shape. When I hooked it up, the picture was very clear. They had been using it for cable TV with no problem. Someone else told me that the rec will eventually burn it out. Is this true? I thought the frequency was very low. It would have been very difficult to replace with a new cable. What actually happens physically to the cable if it were to "fry"?
How can you tell it had fried, and will it not conduct after that?
One more related question. On legacy equipment, was it ever possible to use use RG59 as feeds? I would assume not.
Sorry about the long question. But inquiring minds would like to know. Thanks ahead of time.

viqventeur said:
I am getting conflicting information on whether you can use RG59 cable for TV2 output on a dual tuner rec. I know you cannot use it for sat feeds. I came across a very old cable the other day. I assume it was RG59 based on the conductor size. The cable diameter itself was very small, not much dielectric but was in good shape. When I hooked it up, the picture was very clear. They had been using it for cable TV with no problem. Someone else told me that the rec will eventually burn it out. Is this true? I thought the frequency was very low. It would have been very difficult to replace with a new cable. What actually happens physically to the cable if it were to "fry"?
How can you tell it had fried, and will it not conduct after that?
One more related question. On legacy equipment, was it ever possible to use use RG59 as feeds? I would assume not.
Sorry about the long question. But inquiring minds would like to know. Thanks ahead of time.
The output of Tuner2 is not carrying voltage so it can't burn out your RG-59. RG-59 has never been approved for satellite cable but has been used successfuly in short lengths. :)

The TV2 modulator output is no different from any other modulator output, so the RG59 is just fine. Now if you're talking about running very long distances or near many possible sources of interference, then RG6 is better for that, but that's the same with any device sending a modulated RF output. There are no special requirements due to it being a satellite receiver though. Those requirements only apply to the LNB feeds since they are much more sensitive signals and the line does carry voltage, tones, etc.

But just to repeat, the TV2 out is essentially the same as your VCR's "TV OUT" connection or your 8-bit NES's similar connection. It is a little higher power, though, which is why you need to use the supplied attenuator if you are going straight from the receiver to a TV or VCR with no splitters in between. But that's no cause for possible "burning cable" concern.

TuxCoder said:
The TV2 modulator output is no different from any other modulator output, so the RG59 is just fine. Now if you're talking about running very long distances or near many possible sources of interference, then RG6 is better for that, but that's the same with any device sending a modulated RF output. There are no special requirements due to it being a satellite receiver though. Those requirements only apply to the LNB feeds since they are much more sensitive signals and the line does carry voltage, tones, etc.

But just to repeat, the TV2 out is essentially the same as your VCR's "TV OUT" connection or your 8-bit NES's similar connection. It is a little higher power, though, which is why you need to use the supplied attenuator if you are going straight from the receiver to a TV or VCR with no splitters in between. But that's no cause for possible "burning cable" concern.
Good answer.

Although I have read some workorders that have had the TV2 line replaced because RG-59 wasn't enough. One or two occasions.

My brother-in-laws house was wired with RG-59. So I used two 322 recievers in the basement utility room and 4 UHF remotes. Works like a champ and he loves the ideas of no recievers by the T.V.s and no extra wiring other then from the dish.

No problem with using Rg59 on Tv2, however it would be better if you could run new cable.

The only time you'll have problems with RG59 is if you have alot of splitters in the line or if its not properly terminated with quality F-connectors.

I just installed a 522 and 322 and I used RG-6 on all of it and removed a RG-59 that was used on the cable system. One of them was a long run. It had a great picture quality.

How do the distant locals work?

921 and Two cables

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)