Using one satellite with mover - How to overcome "check switch" issue

gcmarshall

Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New York
Hi -

Let's just say I am in a "fringe area" using a 6ft dish with a jack, and I access 119 and 61.5. I am using a 211 dish network receiver (HD, single tuner).

I have recently set up this system, and I put the satellite on 119, and go through the check switch setup. Works fine, and I get tv, and the guide showing the channels I can access on 119. Now, when I go to 61.5, I seem to have to go through the same "check switch" setup, so it will recognise and put 119 on the guide. Only issue is, 119 is no longer there, and when I go back to 119 with the dish, I have to go through the check switch again. Needless to say, this is a major pain in the a$$.

Is there a way around this? There must be other folks like me that can't afford, or don't have the space for 2 dishes, and use a mover.

Thanks.

There is no way around sorry.You must check switch every time you switch orbitals.

Get a cheap dish 500 with a dp twin with lnb in port.And incorporate it into your current setup. 110/119/61.5

There is no way around sorry.You must check switch every time you switch orbitals.

Get a cheap dish 500 with a dp twin with lnb in port.And incorporate it into your current setup. 110/119/61.5

I guess you didn't understand his message. He needs that 6' dish to get a signal at all. A Dish 500 isn't going to do a thing for him.

Exactly. I am sure there are subscribers in Puerto Rico that must need to use larger dishes, and would use a single large dish and a mover. It's a pity cause I paid the $99 to get HD for life too, because of the HD channels on 61.5, but it is such a pain to go to them, it is not worth the money.

I could get a FTA box and not have an issue with "check switch" but I prefer to subscribe legitimately.

A couple of years ago I used to sub to dish network and go to different satellites without any issue - definetely did not have to do any "check switch" nonsense.

Hello, this is Mike LeMar with DISH Network customer service. I just want to ask you a few questions to better understand the situation we have. What type of dish do you currently have, for instance, does it have any sort of model number? The last thing I wanted to check on is when was the last time we had a technician at your home? The reason I'm asking is that it might be a possibility to provide you with a more convenient dish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, this is Mike LeMar with DISH Network customer service. Yes we do have technicians in Puerto Rico; is there any information we can help you find?

He lists New York, but I think that he might be a little father North with a 6 foot dish. How does a Winegard automatic dish work when it changes sats.

if he's north a 6 foot dish is kinda overkill. Most areas north of the 48th parallel can get by with a 30" dish or smaller....maybe 36" in far northern towns

Exactly. I am sure there are subscribers in Puerto Rico that must need to use larger dishes, and would use a single large dish and a mover.
While they use a 6 footer for 119 most of the HD for Puerto Rico is spotbeamed so they can use a 18-24" dish for 110 HD...they were using a 4 footer before
61.5 in PR requires a 6 footer

Most folks there use 2 or 3 dishes.....havent run across anyone posting who is in PR and uses a actuator to move their dish

With the launch of the new satellite and with the addition of some spot beams last Spring, you now can receive all programming including the HD programming using a single 30" dish which picks + up both 110 & 119. I live in the USVI 92 miles SSW from San Juan PR and we are in the PR footprint.

Jim

That is all good info to know. I am reluctant to say where I am located as it is not within the US, or PR or the USVI. With a 6ft offset I can pick up 119 all transponders, and a few on 61.5 (enough to make it worthwhile), and a single one on 110 which contains PR local channels. I am not aware of any other satellites that we can pick up. Folks here are converting their old C-band antennas to watch dish network now, and others are using Directv LA old 4 ft dishes to get it (but rain fade is an issue).

To the Dish Network Customer Service person - thanks for offering assistance, but unfortunately I don't think you can help me, as I am out of your jurisdiction.

Just can't believe nobody else uses a dish with a jack. Don't folk in Mexico need a large dish....

While they use a 6 footer for 119 most of the HD for Puerto Rico is spotbeamed so they can use a 18-24" dish for 110 HD...they were using a 4 footer before
61.5 in PR requires a 6 footer

Most folks there use 2 or 3 dishes.....havent run across anyone posting who is in PR and uses a actuator to move their dish

We don't use 4 footers anymore,Since June we're using 30"dishes for the core sats(110,119)also for 61.5 we don't need a 6 footer for 61.5(24" to 30" will do the trick)However dish don't want us to use it(one dish solution rule)and the few channels still there will be moved to 72.7 (Easter Ark) and 129 is not available in this area.

Most subs in netherlands are using 3 large dishes to receive a single orbital on each dish, not moving one dish back and forth between orbitals.

No audio ViP722k from HDMI

The quality of HD channels?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)