Using Diseqc with DVB-S software

Status
Please reply by conversation.

n301

Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Hello everyone,

I'm having some trouble receiving the signal from two LNBs I'm using on two different dishes pointing at 19.2E and 30W respectively.

I'm using a DiSEqC switch to connect the LNBs to a Pinnacle PCTV SAT card on my computer but the DVB-S program I'm using only receives the signal from one of the LNBs.

I'll quickly outline the arrangement of the connection between the LNBs and the PCTV SAT card in case someone notices a mistake in the way I have set it up. I have a cable going from the LNB pointing at 19.2E to the LNB 1 port of the diseqc switch and a second cable going from the LNB pointing at 30W to the LNB 2 port of the DiSEqC switch. Then I have a single cable which leaves the DiSEqC switch and connects to the PCTV SAT card.

The DVB-S program I use is called DVB Dream but unfortunately it can only receive a signal from LNB connected to the LNB 1 port of the DiSEqC switch at the moment and even after configuring the DiSEqC settings I can't get a signal from other LNB connected to the LNB 2 port of the switch. I'm not sure what the correct DiSEqC settings are in order for DVB Dream to receive both signals and I'd be grateful if anyone who has resolved a similar problem can help me out.

Both dishes are pointing correctly at their respective positions and I can get a signal from each of them when I don't use the DiSEqC switch but I'd like to know how I can receive a signal from both of them at the same time using the switch.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated and many thanks in advance for your replies.

Regards,

I.G.

Last edited:
What type lnb are you using, Universal or Standard linear.
Setting up the Diseqc #2 should be as simple as going to OPTIONS > DISEQC , then selecting Port 2, so it is highlighted and click "Add Satellite" button. There the options are available to define your lnb and its local oscillator frequency.

Brent

Some dvb-s cards have a hard time with diseqc switches. The twinhan cards in particular had problems and could only use a Spaun (I think) diseqc switch (expensive) or had to use a cheap switch that was modified (cheaper but harder if you can't solder small parts).

I assume you are using universal lnbfs since you must be in europe to get 19.2E. That means you couldn't use a 22kHz switch instead of the diseqc.

Try connecting each lnb to the card without a switch (one at a time) and make sure you get channels. If both dishes work this way then it could only be the switch or perhaps switch settings.

You might try connecting the lnbfs to port 3 and 4 if your switch is a 4 port. Sometimes one port may get an open or short circuit and that port won't work. Make sure the computer if off while swiching cables because if it is on it can burn out a port on the diseqc.

Thanks for your replies brentb636 and SatPhreak

The DVB-S card I use is a Pinnacle Stargate Tuner and both LNBs are universal.

I have looked at the diseqc settings of the DVB Dream program and filled in the appropriate entries for the LNB in port 2 but I still only receive the signal from the LNB in port 1.

I haven't adjusted the local oscillator frequency though because I'm not sure what it has to be changed to. I didn't have to make any changes to the local oscillator frequency for the LNB in port 1 and just used the default values that were there so I'm assuming that I should keep the default values for the LNB in port 2 as well since the LNB in port 1 is working. Do you think that the local oscillator frequencies for the LNB in port 2 have to be changed in order to receive the signal from it ? If that's the case I'm not sure where to find those values or whether they depend on the satellite at 30W.

With respect to the DiSEqC switch I use, it only has 2 ports so I can't use any other ports on it for the LNBs. The switch does have one more port for the antenna I use for terrestrial channels however, and I do get a signal from it on my DVB-T receiver so it seems the switch is functioning but for some reason the LNB connected to port 2 isn't coming up on DVB Dream.

Do you think that I might have better luck with a different DVB-S program or could it be something to do with the Pinnacle Stargate card ?

Thanks again for your time and I'm looking forward to your replies.

Regards,

I. G.

Last edited:
With respect to the diseqc switch I use, it only has 2 ports so I can't use any other ports on it for the LNBs. The switch does have one more port for the antenna I use for terrestrial channels however, and I do get a signal from it on my DVB-T receiver so it seems the switch is functioning but for some reason the LNB connected to port 2 isn't coming up on DVB Dream.

Are you sure it is a Diseqc switch? It is unusual to have a 2 port diseqc switch with another port for a terrestrial antenna.

Hi Larry1,

Yes, as far as I'm aware it is a DisEqC switch and according to the product description it provides 2 satellite LNB inputs and a terrestrial coupler to connect a terrestrial antenna.

Here's a link to an image of the device as well:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/Full/a23fb.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still having difficulties making the DiSEqC switch work properly for me so I'd like to ask whether the switch I have described in the post above is appropriate for what I want to achieve or should I replace it with a different one that is more reliable and contributors to this forum use successfully with their PC TV cards and can recommend to me as well ?

Thanks again for your time and suggestions you wish to provide.

Regards,

n301

I just use the cheapo diseqc switch with my Twinhan PC card, but I use standard LNBF's and not universals and when scanning in the transponders I have to remove the diseqc switch and perfom the scan. Once all the LNBF's are scanned in, then I can put the diseqc back in and it switches fine. If I leave the diseqc in when I run the scan, it will switch between the different lnbf's by itself randomly. Putting a piece of metal over the feedhorn of all but the LNBF I want to scan in also works when scanning. Once the scan is complete, the signal blocking pieces of metal are removed and it switches reliably for me.

Hi again Larry1,

I'll try what you suggest and scan the channels on each satellite without the switch in place and then connect the switch afterwards and see if I can alternate between channels from both LNBs successfully.

I have also changed the position of the second LNB from Hispasat at 30W to Eutelsat at 13E and 16E just to check if it was something to do with the satellite I'm pointing the dish at but the same problem occurs on those positions as well and I can only watch programmes from just one LNB.

I have also read that there are powered and non-powered DiSEqC switches and I would like to ask whether a non-powered one works with PCTV SAT cards.

Thanks again for your help and I appreciate all your comments.

Regards,

n301

I've never seen a Diseqc Switch with an input for OTA? Which makes me think the switch is a Multi-Switch. The picture you posted above is not good enough to read the labelling on the top of the switch, due to the angle the picture was taken from. If you could tell us what all is said on the label of the switch it should be helpful. If it is a Multi-Switch, the 2 sat inputs are probably one for V and one for H. I've seen European websites that label some switches as "Diseqc Multi-Switch"s. I don't think these are what we on this side of the pond consider Diseqc Switches, but we would refer to them as Multi-Switches.
At any rate, my ranting is trying to say, if it's a Multi-Switch, you are getting Vertical from one satellite and Horizontal from the other satellite. And, it's quite posible that the one you appear to get nothing on, has no TP's on that particular polarity. Also, if it is a Multi-Switch, you probably don't have the settings in the receiver correct?
I'm just totally throwing crap out there in an attempt to spark a thought that may or may not rattle the answer out, from wherever it is hiding?
Hope you find the culprit sooner than later It's probably something really simple? Good Luck!

Al

Hi voomvoom and thanks for your ideas,

The labelling on the switch says that it is a DiSEqC 1.0/ToneBurst shielded switch with a terrestrial coupler. The four ports it carries are labelled as follows:

900-2150 MHz for LNB A
900-2150 MHZ for LNB B
40-860 MHz for the Terrestrial antenna
I/O port that leads on to the PCTV SAT card

I'm not sure if this means that it's a multi-switch rather than DiSEqC so perhaps you can help me with that.
I have noticed that from LNB A I get channels on transponders of both horizontal and vertical polarisation whereas from LNB B I'm only getting channels on transponders of vertical polarisation when I scan for programmes. It still isn't possible to switch between channels from LNB A and LNB B though.

I'm not sure why that happens but I'll do what Larry1 mentioned in his post and remove the switch and then scan for transponders to see if I get the full range of transponders from LNB B that way.

Thanks again for all your help and I'm grateful for any other suggestions you might have.

Regards,

n301

Last edited:
Sounds like it IS an odd variety of DiSEqC switch, probably only sold in Europe, where OTA digital is a variety of DVB (DVB-T) instead of ATSC...

Yes you're correct Tron and over here in the UK, digital terrestrial TV is available as DVB-T.

I just wanted to say that I followed the suggestions to rescan for the transponders on each LNB without the switch in place and I received all the transponders (horizontal and vertical polarisation) from each LNB.

To my surprise, when I subsequently connected the switch I found that all the channels were still listed and I could switch between channels on different LNBs successfully :)

The instructions that came with the DiSEqC switch weren't helpful at all and I'm really grateful that members in this forum directed me to the right solution and gave me a little more insight on how to set up more than one dish correctly with the equipment I have.

Many thanks once again for all your help.

Regards,

n301

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Anyone motoring with DVB World box?

DVB World transponder tool - need to find

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts