Using Direct TV with VoIP

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Many folks have said no problems with non DirecTV Tivo boxs, it's the DirecTV series 2 Tivo boxes that have had problems in the past.

Series 2 Tivo with VoIP? Couldn't you connect the series 2 tivo directly to your router? Any particular reason why a person would want to stick their Series 2 tivo into a common phone jack? I have a series 2 tivo with a 100baseT to usb adapter in it. That cat5 runs into my router. The Tivo understands the device and the router assigns an address to it. Place the dialing prefix plus choose network connection and VOILA! no more POTS call outs.

DirecTV series 2 Tivo's do not have networking capabilities, they've never enabled the USB adapters and have made no announcement that they ever will.

WOW, I find that very hard to believe. I'm stopping short of buying into a Direct Tivo unit to find out. And no one here has ever made a push and demanded to have that option opened up? I cannot believe they wouldn't do that to Direct Tivo units. You must be pulling my leg, on Thanksgiving at that! LOL

No he is not pulling your leg...There are ways to activate the ports but it involves some pretty complicated software hacks. If you want more information on how to enable them check out the tivo community forum at http://www.tivocommunity.com

D* up to this point has not activated these ports and there is a ton of speculation as to why, when or if they will or won't....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Problems in snowy weather?

Questions on Multiple Boxes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)