Using a mobile phone for updates?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

airyanne

Original poster
Oct 23, 2005
Rockwall, Texas
As one of the many users with no land line, I started to wondering if it was possible to use the cell phone to dial in for the updates. Has anyone heard of such a device?

I wished those docking stations would allow dialup internet to work on them but there is no dialtone with them.

Stargazer, you can make your modem do what is known as "blind dialing" the modem ignores the lack of dial tone, and begins dialing at once.

To do this In Windows:
1. Click Start, click Control Panel
2. Click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Phone and Modem Options.
3. Click the Modem tab, click your modem on the list of installed modems, and then click Properties.
4. Click the Modem tab, click to clear the Wait for dial tone before dialing check box, and then click OK.

Hope that helps.

The reason I ask about the possibility of doing this is due to the fact that I'm interested in using my laptop computer with a cell phone anywhere I am at whether it is out on the road or at home if I chose to do away with a landline. I only have dialup service available here and was curious if I could use a cellphone with a computer as I would dialup service. I am not sure if there is enough data flowing on their network to support internet service on a computer.

It is very doable, the issue lies in the available technologies on the laptop and cell, two urls below go over a bluetooth setup and a infrared setup, any others would deal with a data cable from the cell to the laptop, and is known to work, of course, this is assuming the cell provider supports data (i.e. if the provider offers web enabled phone services, then it supports data).

http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/typesofaccessavailable/ht/bluetoothphone.htm

http://mobileoffice.about.com/cs/connections/ht/infraredcell.htm

Thanks for the links. I figured there was something out there that would work with this. I wonder what kind of speeds one can get compared to dialup using these?

Well, speed (and latency) is of course dependant on many many things, including the method and quality of the connection used to connect the phone to the computer, the quality of the cell phone itself, the quality of the provider and its towers (cell signal strength/quality), etc, all those (and more) factors can produce errors which in turn produce retransmission of packets, which in turn reduces usable bandwidth (which during the initial handshake will be reflected by a reduced "Connected at" speed, but it's possible to have it connect at a good speed, then still have enough errors to reduce the bandwidth (or worse, get booted) during the session), also some ISPs' modem pools won't let you connect if the initial speed isn't at a certain level of quality.

Considering there are many people using these methods, it seems to me at least, that they probably feel the speed is satisfactory, of course that too differs from user to user, just getting email?, it should be fine, want to stream realaudio?...probably not going to have a good time.

The communications arena is going towards wireless broadband (like verizon has here), dialup over a cell phone is too clunky for your average user, considering that you can get broadband speeds over your cell/laptop anywhere (within a metro area), investing in cellphone/dialup services would be a step backwards fiscally speaking.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MPEG4 multiswitch question

NHL in HD Channel 98

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts