Usd Tv

I find it interesting also, but you realize they are carving out valuable HD bandwidth to sell off as multiple low-bitrate basic SD cable stuff... many here can't stand USD.

However, I have to say I love "their" basic, relatively inexpensive HD/digital tuner set-top box. I bought one for general use with my digital locals and it works great. It's really made by Hisense, and branded to USD. See my review comparing their receiver to a Samsung, here.

USDTV is one of the biggest threats to HD. And NOT just OTA HD either, once your local affiliate pimps its bandwidth to these clowns that local affiliates HD channel will be degraded by whatever means its delivered, cable, sat or OTA. Here's hoping this nonsense dies and dies quickly. Unlike multicasting this is even worse. With multicasting the affiliate can choose stop multicasting subchannels. But in this case there is a contract and the bandwidth is GONE.

USDTV is one of the biggest threats to HD. And NOT just OTA HD either, once your local affiliate pimps its bandwidth to these clowns that local affiliates HD channel will be degraded by whatever means its delivered, cable, sat or OTA. Here's hoping this nonsense dies and dies quickly. Unlike multicasting this is even worse. With multicasting the affiliate can choose stop multicasting subchannels. But in this case there is a contract and the bandwidth and HD picture quality is GONE.

Digital Rain said:
So If I got one I could watch my HDTV Locals and nothing more?
Your locals plus whatever a subsciption to USDTV in your area has. But the catch22 is that if USDTV is in your area then the locals probably arent worth watching for HD. Basically if its offered in your area then you have a cancer eating away the HD PQ. And buying their reciever only supports that cancer whether or not you subscibe. :mad:

Figures. We have it here in Albuquerque - they were pushing the service about a year ago - tables set up at Wal-Mart. But don't see them anymore, may have gone out of business here for all I know.

Hmmm intersting to me but $20/mo for 10 channels?

It kind of reminds me of Voom where you got some cable channels but not everything you're used to getting.

$20/mo makes the Dish AT60 package look attractive :)

I'll clarify for those who haven't read the review thread linked above...

I really wish there was some way to buy the set-top box from Hisense through normal distribution channels instead of having to feed USDigital. But, until that happens, I'd still like to recommend the box but strongly advise against getting a USD subscription... it's messed up, I know...

I believe they may be purchased at Wal Mart and used without activation for OTA. Be advised that as of the last software rev I was aware of, SD & HD are not output at the same time so you can't record to a DVR while watching SD.

The Portland, OR area has supposedly signed up with them, but before they sell off the extra bandwidth, all the stations are supposed to install newer decoders that will run HD at ~ 12 mbs without degredation. Our local CBS currently uses a good encoder but there is still pixelation with fast motion & whenever a high profile show comes on, like the Grammy's, they switch to full bandwidth allocation and dump the sub channel.

I purchased mine at WalMart for $198. But it is still branded as "USDigital" so some kind of cut of my $198 still goes to them...

Coolsat 4000 pro motor malfunction?

espnu for brighthouse tampa

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)