Upgrades Needed to Install a 522

TechlordTX

Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
Gentleman,

As a Novice to this page I would appreciate any help you can give me. I currently have a Dish 500 system with the original 2 LNBF's going to 2 SW-21 switches and then out to 2 receivers, one is a 301 receiver and the other is one of the earlier DVR models.

The DVR died and I am replacing it with the 522. I read an article that told me to by a separator and I could use the existing single cable input to split the signal to both inputs on the 522. I tried this and can only get one of the two inputs to see a signal from the dish.

The 522 will not allow me to go further until it sees an input on both channels. I want to utilize the 522 with a single TV and be able to record a live show while watching one, and also keep the 301 in the system as well.

Can you give me some ideas on how to achieve this either with the current equipment or let me know what I need to change to accomplish this.

Thanks

TechlordTX

If you only have 1 or two receivers then the cheapest way for you to acclomplish this is to swap out you lnb with a Dish Pro (DP) plus lnb. Your DP seperator will work with this lnb. Your other option is to purchase a DP plus switch and you would still need to upgrade your lnb to DP. You will never get the DP seperator to work with legacy lnbs.

Thanks

Thanks MM1 for the quick response. Will I still be able to use the 301 with the DishPro LNBF? I know that they combine the 110 and 119 signals differently than the older LNBF's used too.

TechlordTX

yes you will be able to use your 301, don't worry about it buy a DPPlus Twin, put the separator behind the 522 and walha your golden. Is the cable RG 6 swept to 3ghz? Are the barrels rated as well?

Thanks Dish Dude

Yes I made sure all the Cable is RG-6 and sweep of 3ghz.. I got that from another thread..

Thanks for the help guys!

Techlord

Another option would be to use a legacy or dishpro quad to replace the lnbs and switches you have now. This would require a second cable run to the 522 but may be cheaper than dishpro+.

Dishpro twin vs dishpro twin plus

Ok,

I just looked up the Dishpro twin plus and also saw the dishpro twin. The only difference I saw was the Plus has a feed for another Satellite input, can I use the cheaper Dishpro twin or does it not have the built in switch?

Techlord

You could use a DP Quad and run 3 cables, 2 runs for your 522 and 1 for your 301. If you want only 2 cables, buy the DPP Twin and use the separator for your 522 run. The DP quad is cheaper but you will need 3 runs.

Dish Pro Plus LNB!!! That is exactly what you need, if you already bought a seperator, just get a DPP twin, use all the wire you have already, and not do any real work.... just my opinion.

Since when is a DP Quad down to the $35 a DPP-Twin costs???

And, as birddoggy says, the DPP-Twin keeps you from having to run an extra feed to the 522.

E* reupped voom cust. w/ 921 for $249

811 Feed Problem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts