Update! "customer waiting for installer to show" They are here!

J3ff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
Update! "customer waiting for installer to show" They Left, Sorta happy here :)

Well at 6 pm (just like grandma predicted) here they are.
as the csr said just a tad late (about 6 hours) boy i'd be pissed if i could have worked all day today but i took it off to wait!

One guy about 23/24 and his friend about the same age stright from NYC. The story is the original installer was too busy so these nice guys gave up their day off to come up and do it. So far so good, however it looks pretty darn simple :)

is it normal to have two dish 500's installed for a 120 channel package?
:) lets just see if i have to go reaim I asked if it was hard to "lock it in" he said "no way simple as can be" (ha ha ha we'll see about that!)

No. Unless you need the extra feeds. How many receivers? What LNBFs did they use?

Maybe one is a Dish 300 for locals?

P.S. Why did you start a new thread for this?

because im not waiting for them anymore :) they're here.

Well one 522 and one 311. I guess that maybe why? Whats a LNBF? Im getting the locals as well, but they are both DEF. a 500

Dish appears to use Dish 500's with single LNBs now, instead of the old Dish 300 that they used to use, for the side birds.

I thought it looked stupid on my balcony, so I got my hands on an old 18" D300, and swapped it out. Better.

The LNBF (Low Noise Block) is what the satellite dish uses to convert the signal from the satellite into something usable for your receiver to get. It's the gizmo in front of the dish on the arm.

ah thanks, FUNNY FACT #1 .

I asked both installers if they have Dish Network.

They both said NO we have direct TV.

Take it for what it is, that is funny as hell!

According to the one guy "they are both the same though etc etc etc." sure they are:) Audio dropouts and picture freezes here I come!

LNBF = Low Noise Block downconverter and amplifier with Feedhorn.

I don't think he's using any birds except 110/119. I'm gonna guess they didn't have a Quads or switches with them, so he got 2 500's with Twin LNBFs.

JEFF: How about telling us what your Point Dish / Check Switch screens have to say about which satellites you see, and what the setup is?

Will do Simon as soon as the guys are outta here. Its been an hour and a half and the one guy is still on the roof messing w/ the two dishes... while the other guy just stands there and watches :) however everything inside is all drilled and setup so thats a good thing :)

Before they go - make sure they give you a strong enough signal (should be 100+ on 110/119), AND ground the dishes and cables!

Would've said that earlier if I'd known they were still there.

thanks I will do that. So far they seem pretty good.

However I asked about the 522 and if it was "good" or not and they said "We havent heard of a problem with one yet!" I wonder if their bsing me...

Better yet, ask them to show you the check switch screen. It's not hard to find, but it's even easier if they show you where it is. That and the system info screens will be your friend :)

Did you notice if they put a switch (like a DP34) anywhere? If not, the first thing I'd do is get one, rewire the system and point one of the dishes at 61.5. But that's me :p

SimpleSimon said:
I don't think he's using any birds except 110/119. I'm gonna guess they didn't have a Quads or switches with them, so he got 2 500's with Twin LNBFs.
Since the installer had a 718 area code, I'd say Jeff is somewhere near the NYC area. If he is in the NYC DMA, 8 of his 16 local channels are on the 61.5 bird.

Well here's the report.

Check switch thing.
Sat Input 1
110, 119 61.5, -All ok Device for all "Twin"
Same thing on Sat Input 2

102. "Locked Echostar 110 West"
100. "Locked Echo Star 119 West"
106. "Locked Echostar 61.5 West"

So it seems they did ok.

HOWEVER, one thing I did ask while he was on the way out....

"Did you happen to find the ground wire i marked for you?"
Tech-"Ground wire? This is Dishnetwork, you dont need a ground wire, the switch will blow up way before you'd need one of those"
me- "ok see ya lata"

I figured this guy is done here no matter what, So tell me guys, how do i go about setting up a ground wire?:)

ps. ill post pictures tomorrow,

He left me a present of a broken Shingle on the side of the house, but he and his friend were very nice to stay out till 8 30

OK - 3 birds. There's got to be some kind of switch out there.

Just for reference, tell us your signal strengths for all satellites transponders 11 & 12.

Grounding can vary depending on what you've got - but it MUST be done. Post pics and we'll walk you through it.

for 119, 11/12 is 107/103
for 121, 11/12 is 94/91
for 61.5, i cant seem to find an 11, for 12 is 107

Basic Installation Experiences?

Quad 500 set-up info

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)