Universal Remote For TV2 Use On 942?

tomd51

Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I've seen several similar threads regarding my question, but at the risk of :deadhorse, are there any existing universal remotes available that can perform the functions of a TV2 remote in Dual User mode? :confused:

I know the main issue is that the 942 does not have an IR receiver, which is what most existing universal remotes transmit with and I believe the TV2 remote is using RF to control the TV2 functions (please correct me if I'm wrong), so one won't talk to the other. I'm using TV1 in my main HT setup and TV2 in a small living room area which my wife and I use more frequently for general use. I was thrilled to finally be able to use my Harmony 688 to "idiot-proof" use of the TV, receiver, DVD, etc., but once I got the 942, I'm back to square one again... :wtf:

As such, I'm on the hunt for a remote that can do both the TV2 functions and universal remote capabilities (e.g., one-touch, macros, etc.). Any ideas? Is this even possible? :confused:

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, I'm at a loss on this one...

We should start a poll on this feature request.

The 942 does IR on TV1 only to clarify. I am in the same boat as I wish they would have a solution to control TV2 via IR. So far there has been little progress on this issue. This is true for the 522 and the 322 as well (all dual tuner receivers). Mark L. at the other site has said there may be IR cancelling if two different IR signals are received at the same time. I wish they'd come up with a seperate IR sensor for TV2 that screws into the UHF antenna port and does the conversion for you. I have an IR emitter right in front of the sensor on my 942 that I use to control the box in single mode from other rooms in my house. I could easily shield it if they developed another sensor for TV2.

There's got to be a demand for this between installers and enthusiasts alike.

For now it is single mode only for me.

Thanks for clarifying that Jetskier, the 942 does IR, but only for TV1.

Even if it were possible to use a repeater and RF-IR converter, that would provide some sort of solution. I could be talking out my a**, but I'm dyin' to come up w/some sort of solution for this, other than using a separate STB....

tomd51 said:
I'm dyin' to come up w/some sort of solution for this, other than using a separate STB....

Me too. I wish there was a way to open up the box and add an IR sensor to the RF receiver module for TV2. I know this happened years ago on older 2000, 4000 and 5000 receivers that only accepted RF. I wish I had 5 or more posts so I can post the link to the guys website that had the mod.:mad: But if you Google "carltonbale" and click "I'm feeling lucky", it'll take you to his site. Then click on "Dish Network Upfit"

We are not the only ones wanting this feature. I think that there are 8 or 9 of us now :) according to Mark Lamutt....At least the ones posting on the different dbs forums.

I find it hard to believe so few people using the 942 aren't using it via Dual User mode and with a universal remote. Granted it is still fairly new to most Dish customers, but I can't thing this config is that obscure.

I've poked around a few sites looking for RF/IR universals, but I hate to drop another couple hundred on a remote that might/might not help :confused:

tomd51 said:
I've poked around a few sites looking for RF/IR universals, but I hate to drop another couple hundred on a remote that might/might not help :confused:

The problem is that Dish is at 384Mhz and the others operate at 420 something. Not to mention that you'd need to know the RF format it is emitting. Apparently it is different that the IR pulses that the Dish remotes transmit simultaneously.

I have the cheap OFA 8810w from Wallyworld programmed via JP1. The Dish remotes are useless when you want macros. The OFA remotes are so easy to program with the JP1 software that I can't imagine having a universal to run everything but the TV2 tuner and a Dish remote to change the receiver. You can't beat these remotes for the $15 price tag. I have 6 programmed in each zone of my whole house system. Repeated via the Elan system. It's great..except for the UHF problem. Single mode for now.....

Duplicate channels

625/322 only one will work at the same time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)