Universal LNBF's - Good or Bad?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

123tim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Pennsylvania
Is a "Universal" LBNF better or worse in to use in most situations? I thought that I had read a post or link discussing something negative about using them. I can't seem to remember what the problem was, or where I had seen the post.

A Universal LNBF uses two bands so can take longer to scan a satellite. They are mainly used in Europe and Asia. In this country there is no real need to having one.

In saying that many of the quality low noise LNBs are Universals, and there are ways to just scan the one band so many people including myself use them.

There is only really one extra channel that can be picked up using Universal, thats Cubavision on the Pas 9 satellite at 58w

The system that I am thinking about buying uses a Fortec Star FSKUV with a 0.4 db
noise ratio. I guess that wouldn't be a problem then?

In helping me previously, did you say something about including an analog LNBF in my setup? I seem to have lost track of the post, and can't recall exactly what you had said. Sorry :)

Any LNBF will work for both digital and analog signals so your 0.4 dB should work great for you!

Perhaps it was linear and circular LNBs.
Linear for the bulk of the FTA, and circular for the few free things to be found on the high powered DBS satellites from Dish/BEV, etc.

This is just a personal call and I'm sure I'll get some flack for it, but...
I find swinging a circular LNB across the sky on a motor, to be a waste of time.
And so, I have put up fixed dishes for the few worth having.
There are so few things to be found (not many secrets to discover) it's easy to try them once.
I don't get excited by the radio stations. I get many on a subscription and never listen to them.
Same for NASA, unless there's something big happening.
But that's just one opinion. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

signal meter and skew?

intelsat 5 with what settings pansat 2700a??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)