Uniden Supra - is it garbage?

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
20240810_153918038_iOS.jpg

Before I take this 40 pound behemoth to the local electronics recycler, just wondering if there is anything at all that it can still do?

If I'm remembering correctly, this receiver only does analog signals which are at this point exceedingly rare or nonexistent, and it could descramble VideoCipher, if that were still in use.

I have too many "valuable antiques" in my house. If anyone wants it for shipping cost, let me know before Monday.

20240810_153946266_iOS.jpg

20240810_153852834_iOS.jpg

There aren't any analog satellite signals. But couldn't this still be used as a mover to move your C-band dish?
Maybe, if I had one. Can't get the necessary approvals for that (wife, not government).
Those VideoCipher modules have a battery in them that can leak and make a mess of the IRD, might want to look at that also.
I think I'll leave that for the recyclers to figure out.

Yep, see the photo of the back panel. It clearly has connections for an actuator to move a dish. IF anybody uses it for that, I'd highly suggest they remove the VC2 module, and throw it out first.
But there are probably better and less power-hungry devices that can move a C-band dish, right? Something new enough to understand DiSEqC or USALS commands? If those are available, then this would be more for someone who wants to spend nothing and has plenty of time to tinker. Well, that is me, to some extent.

I suspect with my luck, within a week of me getting rid of this thing, an unwanted C-band dish will become available locally for me to bring home...

Reactions: navychop
But there are probably better and less power-hungry devices that can move a C-band dish, right? Something new enough to understand DiSEqC or USALS commands?
Yes, but they aren't so readily available as they were 15 years ago. When they are, they are around $175~ plus shipping usually. Rick has some available again I believe.

Anything up on 105W Ku band?

NASA TV ending on August 28