Ugh.. I'm lost. Maybe someone can walk me thru this?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

M-Audio

Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
:( I know this has been covered probably a billion times. I've used the search function and looked through the FAQ's section several times and still nothing makes no sense to me.. I'm an electronics/technology dummy..

Here's what I'm interested in doing/learning.

I have a DirecTV Multi Phase 3 dish installed right now. Will that dish work with this receiver?

*Fortec Star Liftime Ultra* $118.98 shipped brand new

If not which dish should I purchase?

Is that receiver a good one to buy?

Is that a good price?

How long will this receiver work?

Will it become obsolete anytime soon?

Anything I should consider or will need to try this setup out?

Thanks for any feedback :confused:

M-Audio said:
:( I know this has been covered probably a billion times. I've used the search function and looked through the FAQ's section several times and still nothing makes no sense to me.. I'm an electronics/technology dummy..

Here's what I'm interested in doing/learning.

I have a DirecTV Multi Phase 3 dish installed right now. Will that dish work with this receiver?

*Fortec Star Liftime Ultra* $118.98 shipped brand new

If not which dish should I purchase?

Is that receiver a good one to buy?

Is that a good price?

How long will this receiver work?

Will it become obsolete anytime soon?

Anything I should consider or will need to try this setup out?

Thanks for any feedback :confused:

I am a newbie too, but I have read enough (I think) to answer.

The dish you mention is appearently for HDTV. It will receive a limited number of FTA channels but not many. See:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=74114

The Lifetime Ultra is a good receiver-see reviews section for more info (seems like a good price).

If you want to get general FTA channels as opposed to a specific sat (for international etc.) you will need at least a 30 inch dish. You will also need a specific LNB and a dish motor to move the dish to various sats. See FAQ section for more info.

No FTA channels are guarenteed to stay free. They may disapear altogether or be moved to C band or encrypted without notice.

You will need to consider what you want out of an FTA system and the cost/benefit before buying.

Hope this helps.

Hello M-Audio! Welcome to the SatelliteGuys.US FTA forum :wave

The Fortec Lifetime Ultra is a great receiver, I use one and it will bring you a load of fun when matched up to a 30" (better with a 1m) and KU LNBF. I use the Invacom brand of low noise LNBF, you have found the right place to learn all about FTA! Your receiver comes already loaded with with all the software you will need to last for many years to come, but can be updated if/when needed on the Fortec web site.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=35638

Ok cool..

Is a Spitfire Ku Band FSS Free to Air LNBF okay to work with? I was thinking about getting that along with a Fortec 31" dish and SG-2100 Satellite Motor.

If you guys think that would be a good choice to use along side the Fortec ultra receiver I guess I'll go ahead and get those.

Also I see two COAX connections on the picture of the SG-2100 motor. It says it's controlled via the coax's. How does that work? Do I run a RG6 coax from the LNBF to the motor? Then from the motor to my receiver? And then when I'm scanning for channels it will automatically move the dish??

Thanks for the help guys can't wait to fiddle with this stuff! :D

A Spitfire LNB will work, but better to get the ASC321s. EVEN better the Invacom LNBF is what I use and I am VERY happy with it. Yes one cable does it all, as you change satellite on the remote the dish moves to point at the correct satellite. Let us know your zip code and we will give you all the angles you need, even for the SG2100 motor!

http://www.dmsiusa.com/documents/SG2100%20easy%20manual.pdf

I have had the Fortec 31" dish for over a hear now and have no complaints. The same goes for the Fortec Ultra Lifetime ( except is it much cheaper now).

Wholeshoe

DEFINATELY go with the Invacom 0.3dB LNB!

No, seriously. I think everyone would agree with me when I say we all start out with 0.6dB or 0.5dB Spitfire's or whatnot, then eventually go with the best. You may save $10 or $15 in the short run, but in the long run you'll upgrade and pay double. The new Invacom is less subject to rainfade, gets better overall quality, pulls in the weaker signals like nobody's bussiness, and keeps signals steady with much less fluctuation in quality than other lnb's.

No, they didn't hire me, lol. I just bought one and am enjoying it :) Now my old lnb, just a few months old, gathers dust in a box on my desk...

I would also recommed the Invacom. I was using a .5 for about a year now and had no issues. Switched to a .3 and WOW...the weak tranponders come in better :)

The Fortec is a nice reciver too....:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Primestar Feed Arm / LNB mount

Software update (legal one) for Microyal 1000?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)