TV sees 31 HD, DirecTV sees 1 HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

justinmm2

Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
Hi Guys,

Just getting a friend's TV set up. When we specify our local area as D.C (secondary as Alexandria, VA), and scan for channels, we get the four 26.[1-4] channels that are the local PBS (WETA). However, when I plug the antenna directly into the set, and scan for channels, we can watch all thirty one or so in the area (and they look great!). Any idea why the DirectTV reciever can only see the PBS station? The guide has the extra channels, but it sits on "searching for signal" forever.

Thanks in Advance!!
Justin

justinmm2 said:
Hi Guys,
Just getting a friend's TV set up. When we specify our local area as D.C (secondary as Alexandria, VA), and scan for channels, we get the four 26.[1-4] channels that are the local PBS (WETA). However, when I plug the antenna directly into the set, and scan for channels, we can watch all thirty one or so in the area (and they look great!). Any idea why the DirectTV reciever can only see the PBS station? The guide has the extra channels, but it sits on "searching for signal" forever.
Thanks in Advance!!
Justin

When you say you plug the antenna directly into the set, I am assuming you are referring that your TV set has a built in, OTA HD tuner. You don't specify what D* unit you are using, but I have heard the same comments from several people that have the DVR, the same thing you are saying, about not picking up some OTA channels. It could be that the D* tuner, in your unit, is not a sensitive as the one built into your TV. I have a H-10 and a HTL-HD unit and both of them pick up all of my OTA digital and HD channels. As a matter of fact I like the HTL-HD unit as it picks up the analog channels as well as the digital and HD ones. The H-10 doesn't do that.

Also, if the D* tuner is less sensitive than the built in one, this could could be a problem when using the D* tuner; the antenna you are using to pick up your locals may have a problem. I had a problem picking up several local HD stations when I first put my antenna, in my attic, I re-ran wires and the picture still it kept dropping out. Finally I changed out the 300 to 75 ohm transformer, at the antenna, and my signal strengths doubled, and my problem went away. The bad connection will show up more extensively using a less sensitive tuner. My point being antenna connections or problems could be the problem.

Also you can try the old stand by, reset of the unit, and see if that helps.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Where did my HBO HD (channel 70) go?

Samsung 42" plasma

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts