TV on a computer?

rayden54

Original poster
Nov 27, 2007
I'm really knew to the world of DVB. Actually I don't even know what DVB is exactly.

Starting this summer, I'm going to be living on campus for most of the year. I can still get cable, but not satellite or DVR (at least I don't think I can). I can set up my DVR at home to record season passes of a select group of shows to watch when I get home, but it might months later.

So, my question is: Is there any way to watch tv (specifically channels like BBCA, SciFi, Fox, Disney, Discovery, ect.) on a computer? And can they be "Tivo'd?"

And if I can, what would I need?

Easiest way would be to hook up a Slingbox to your DVR at home. Then you can watch/control your DVR from anywhere you have broadband internet.

I don't think it'll work. My upload speed's just a bit more than half what they want. Any other posibilities?

I can't upgrade my package since it's my parent's internet, not mine. And, according to the plan we have it should be double the upload speed.

Call the provider and have them look into why your upload is half what it should be. If its cable alot of the time its nothing more than an old splitter or rg-59 cable causing problems while other times it can be a modem / router / nic issue or a need to change one or more of the settings in the network section of the computer. You can check with the school to find out about the cable service though its most likely a campus provided service and not from the cable company in the area. If you have a computer at home you could look at setting it up as a dvr, look at wintv series of tv cards you can find at circuit city. Get the apropriate card and either an internal drive or external drive at 500gb or higher and set it up and you'll be able to watch your shows when you get home months later.

I don't think it'll work. My upload speed's just a bit more than half what they want. Any other posibilities?

I can't upgrade my package since it's my parent's internet, not mine. And, according to the plan we have it should be double the upload speed.

I have Slingbox and watch it in my office every day. The upload speed is not as important as the download. Mine works great and I have 750K down and less than 100K up. The only thing that a slow upload affects is when you enter a command on the virtual remote, there is a lag. As long as you aren't trying to change channels alot, once the slingbox optimizes, it works great. I have even acccessed it while on the road on my laptop in motels with slow wireless and it still works pretty well.

Patriots/Giants 12/29

Watch tonights NFL Network game Online for Free

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)