Trying to Find professional services for C Band LNB maintenance in Northern Cal

buckstucky

Original poster
Jun 6, 2024
Northern California
Does anyone know of any professional services that will service an LNB and or point a 12 foot dish to its proper satellite. I have used guys on my site and I think they have it pointed at Galaxy 31 but when I look at the output of the LNB on a spectrum analyzer I dont get the nice guassian hump Im used to seeing, and its sporadic and noisy and the DVB S300 receiver cannot lock or pick up a signal. I specifically bought a XR-3 to analyze the signal and I see a signal but its sporadic and jumps around between -40 and -60 dB (not steady) . Any help of getting someone who knows what they are doing would be appreciated.

Does anyone know of any professional services that will service an LNB and or point a 12 foot dish to its proper satellite. I have used guys on my site and I think they have it pointed at Galaxy 31 but when I look at the output of the LNB on a spectrum analyzer I dont get the nice guassian hump Im used to seeing, and its sporadic and noisy and the DVB S300 receiver cannot lock or pick up a signal. I specifically bought a XR-3 to analyze the signal and I see a signal but its sporadic and jumps around between -40 and -60 dB (not steady) . Any help of getting someone who knows what they are doing would be appreciated.

Welcome to Satellite Guys! The members here may be able to help you sort this out but more info would be needed. You said you think you may be pointed at 121W. Have you done a blind scan to verify which channels, if any, are received?

If you can't or don't want to figure it out on your own you might be able to find an installer by searching here. :)

Welcome to Satellite Guys! The members here may be able to help you sort this out but more info would be needed. You said you think you may be pointed at 121W. Have you done a blind scan to verify which channels, if any, are received?

If you can't or don't want to figure it out on your own you might be able to find an installer by searching here. :)
Thanks for the quick reply! Im pretty sure they have it pointed correctly. Its just that the signal is awfully noisy and there is no lock on the signal so no channels or data can be identified.

Where are you located?

I assume that your team was repointing the dish to Galaxy 31 from a different satellite?

If so, what satellite was it on, Galaxy 28? Did they adjust the feedhorn skew?

FYI... From my location near Auburn, CA, the G28 satellite has a -33.2 feed skew and G31 has 0 (zero) feed skew. failure to rotate the skew angle would result in extremely poor SNR and/or no lock and decode.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Where are you located?

I assume that your team was repointing the dish to Galaxy 31 from a different satellite?

If so, what satellite was it on, Galaxy 28? Did they adjust the feedhorn skew?

FYI... From my location near Auburn, CA, the G28 satellite has a -33.2 feed skew and G31 has 0 (zero) feed skew. failure to rotate the skew angle would result in extremely poor SNR and/or no lock and decode.
Thanks for the tip!! I will let the guys know about his . I had no idea (I have to read up on this) . Im in Livermore

I work for an organization that looks at weather patterns. This is weather data from NOAA National Weather Service
Using a 12-foot dish should be easy for this task. Note attached that talks about an amateur radio operator who made his own 5-foot dish for the same purpose. Courtesy of July/2024 issue of QST magazine from ARRL.
Weather Antenna.jpg
Weather Antenna writeup.jpg

Reactions: FTA4PA

SES-1

Anyone have a surplus DVB-S receiver cheap?