Torn between two dishes...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Das Hammer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
Too close to Ohio
Ok, I have a 1.2 Meter Fortec Star dish and a Primestar oval. The only linear I've tried on the 1.2 Meter is the geosatpro c/ku combined lnbf. The primestar is still using the good ol' original feedhorn and C120 mount lnb with a port for each polarity.

In the last two weeks I've had both mounted to the HH120 and been surfing/scanning with the Coolsat 5000.

It seemed to me that I was missing some things with the 1.2 setup. For example, a blind scan didn't pick up Doc Scott on IA-6. Granted, this could just be a fluke.
Couldn't get the big PBS mux on AMC3 either, even with a manual scan.

On the other hand, with the Primestar I could get the PBS mux, but it was very weak. Picture was fine until it started to rain a little.

So, I'm considering two options, both costing about the same price.

Option#1, use the Primestar and replace the lnb with a new SNF-031 from Invacom.
Option#2, go back to the 1.2Meter and purchase an SNH-031 from Invacom.

The size of the 1.2 should help, but it's so dang flimsy and catches a lot of wind. I was tearing off a piece of duct tape near it one time and the dish started to resonate from the sound of the tape peeling off of the roll!

The primestar oval feels just feels a lot more secure and I'm hoping that keeping the original feedhorn on it will help. Another benefit of going with the primestar is that I have a spare in the garage.

Anyone try the newer PBS mux on AMC3 with a primestar oval and the invacom?

Ok, I have a 1.2 Meter Fortec Star dish and a Primestar oval. The only linear I've tried on the 1.2 Meter is the geosatpro c/ku combined lnbf. The primestar is still using the good ol' original feedhorn and C120 mount lnb with a port for each polarity.

In the last two weeks I've had both mounted to the HH120 and been surfing/scanning with the Coolsat 5000.

It seemed to me that I was missing some things with the 1.2 setup. For example, a blind scan didn't pick up Doc Scott on IA-6. Granted, this could just be a fluke.
Couldn't get the big PBS mux on AMC3 either, even with a manual scan.

On the other hand, with the Primestar I could get the PBS mux, but it was very weak. Picture was fine until it started to rain a little.

So, I'm considering two options, both costing about the same price.

Option#1, use the Primestar and replace the lnb with a new SNF-031 from Invacom.
Option#2, go back to the 1.2Meter and purchase an SNH-031 from Invacom.

The size of the 1.2 should help, but it's so dang flimsy and catches a lot of wind. I was tearing off a piece of duct tape near it one time and the dish started to resonate from the sound of the tape peeling off of the roll!

The primestar oval feels just feels a lot more secure and I'm hoping that keeping the original feedhorn on it will help. Another benefit of going with the primestar is that I have a spare in the garage.

Anyone try the newer PBS mux on AMC3 with a primestar oval and the invacom?

On the T6 bird I had the same problem getting Gene Scott channel on Smart scan on my Pansat 2700a. So I had to go to TP edit and type in the Tp number and SR number and scan that in. No problem there. I don't know why the smart scan miss the TP. Ain't that smart at all, eh?
I too am having a fit with the AMC 3 PBS channels, too.
I am using the Channel Master .75 meter dish with a .8 LNB as a fixed dish to get the AMC 3 bird.
I am also using the Primestar 1 meter dish with .3 Invacom Lnb and Moteck Sg2100 motor with excellent results on other birds. The reason I got a fixed dish on the AMC 3 bird is because of a tree nearby.
I recommend the Primestar dish, if it is 1 meter and round!
Good luck!

I've got the room. Don't really watch much on G10R anymore since they dropped off a lot of the good shows. I suppose if I wanted to, I could set up one of my extra primestars for that purpose though. That should make "her" happy.

I was trying to get an idea if I would really be missing out on anything by sticking with the primestar oval and original feedhorn, but new lnb. I like it better.

It would be different if I could protect the 1.2 from the wind more. I can still get all of my C band fta with the big dish anyways.

Das
I have acoolsat 5k & QPH-031 with a primestar round (44X40) aka 1 meter and get both stations mentioned. i would post sq and everything but my system is down right now pointed at only 1 sat till i get a new pole mounted. probably overkilled with the quad (2 C & 2 L) but i love it and can add to it.

seems like the 1.2 meter should outpreform the primestar

another person here on the forum adapted the removable feedhorn off the lnb of the primestar lnb and used it to mount to a snf-031 so you should be able to adapt likewise or use it on the other 1.2 dish.... best of both worlds maybe???

good luck

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Starchoice Dish and Echostar3 HELP ME PLZ

IA5 Quality

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts