To anyone who works at a cable or broadcast facility...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tron

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 6, 2005
Metro New Orleans, LA
Two of my three ordered commercial receivers have arrived, with the third due on Tuesday.

I have one General Instrument DSR-4200 Digicipher II (business-class receiver), which I have begun to figure out with the help of some web surfing. I have managed to get into the setup screens (which are somewhat hidden), where I can manually tune a transponder given the L-band frequency (for Ku, the downlink frequency minus 10750).

The other receiver is a broadcast grade General Instrument DSR-4001 Digicipher II model. This is a serious piece of equipment. There's a backlit LCD running about a third of the width of the unit which displays comprehensive menus and even signal strength and quality meters! I (fortunately) have the owner's manual for this one.

The third, which I don't have in my posession yet, is the best. It's a Digitrans (re-branded GI/Motorola) DTE-7150T. This is the same as the GI/Motorola DSR-4801. The best part about this unit is it is only one rack unit high, and in that small form factor has the capability of receiving BOTH Digicipher II AND DVB/DVB 4:2:2! Can't wait to try this one out on 103w...

My question is this: Does anyone here who works at a cable headend/broadcast facility have any experience with any of these models (or similar ones)? I'm mainly looking for pointers to FTA Digicipher II transponders which do not require receiver authorization that you may have been able to tune in at work.

My main problem right now is that the only Ku LNB I own is on my fixed G-10R dish, and the only DCII there is on 11855 (V) 4880. I've tried to tune it in manually by entering the data, but the receiver just sits there trying unsuccessfully. I used the L-band frequency, 1105, as the receiver requires. I assume they require an authorized receiver.

It will really help if anyone knows of Ku-band DCII FTA transponders that are known to work without the need for authorization.

I've gotten a GREAT deal on this equipment, all three receivers including the DVB 4:2:2 capable one for less than $400.

Thanks for any help!

The DSR-4800 series come preauthorized. The Digitrans equivalent might be the only one that would work on DC2 FTA transmissions.

Might be the 4220... the 4200 is DCII only. I don't have much money in the 4200 and 4001. The 4200 looks like a glorified D* receiver (it's larger, but there is a resemblance :) ). It's commercial, but intended for 'office' use and not for headend applications. The 4001, however is a full-blown headend receiver. If I read the manual correctly, the 4001 can also pick up in-the-clear NTSC (analog)...

I'm sure I'm gonna love the 4801 equivalent. The thing's got SDI, for Pete's sake! :D

Oh, I know which one you are talking about.. I think its the DSR-4200V right?

We use those for the TVGuide channel, it has some rack mount brackets on the side.

It probably could be rack mounted with optional kit, but of the three I'm getting it's the 'cheapest' looking. It's the 4200C, not sure what the differences between the 'C' model and the 'V' model are.

I'm much more interested in getting the 4001 and the 4801 (when it comes in) up and running. I hope the Invacom QPH LNB will be shipping soon so I can use the motorized dish. The sole DCII provider on G-10R (CCCSat) seems to require authorization, either that or I'm setting something improperly in the receiver.

Does anyone know of a known transponder (on any satellite, not necessarily G-10R) that works without authorization?

Thanks for any help :D

I have a motorola dsr-4400md that I've had for several months. What exactly is this thing used for. Can it be used with my fta setup. C-Band and Ku-Band. I'd love to get this thing working. What is SDI? It has this connector on the back of it.

Brett, check your PM...

SDI is Serial Digital Interface, this connector moves uncompressed digital video. Some people call erroneously call it a 'D1 output', D1 is one of two uncompressed digital videotape formats (the other being D5) and not a stream type. Only VERY expensive broadcast equipment will be able to make use of SDI.

As far as I can tell, as I said in my PM, this unit only does Digicipher II. I started this thread to see if these receivers will be of any use to us for FTA Digicipher II. The problem is that DCII is a closed system, not an open system like DVB. Therefore, you usually have to have an authorized receiver to pick up the transponders, even if they're 'in the clear'.

Ultatryon, have you actually been able to tune the HITS streams in?

Thanks again all! I'll be away from my computer for a couple of days...

I don't mean to offend you, but don't get too excited on the commercial DigicipherII receivers that you have or will get.
4001 and 4200 will not get you anything unless they were authorized in the past.
About the Digitrans, I hope that you will get the receiver. There are another type that only takes transport stream in (ASI). In other words, it's just a decoder. Without a receiver that feeds ASI to it, it won't do you any good.
About SDI, unless you are ready to spend couple of thounsands for the hardware that can take SDI in (such as broadcast monitor or SDI PCI), it won't do you any good either.
Recommendation to those who plan to buy any commercial DigicipherII receivers (GI, Motorola or Digitrans), do the homework first, or you might get a piece of door-stop

Tron said:
Brett, check your PM...

SDI is Serial Digital Interface, this connector moves uncompressed digital video. Some people call erroneously call it a 'D1 output', D1 is one of two uncompressed digital videotape formats (the other being D5) and not a stream type. Only VERY expensive broadcast equipment will be able to make use of SDI.

As far as I can tell, as I said in my PM, this unit only does Digicipher II. I started this thread to see if these receivers will be of any use to us for FTA Digicipher II. The problem is that DCII is a closed system, not an open system like DVB. Therefore, you usually have to have an authorized receiver to pick up the transponders, even if they're 'in the clear'.

Ultatryon, have you actually been able to tune the HITS streams in?

Thanks again all! I'll be away from my computer for a couple of days...

The Digitrans I'm getting is the version that has the four L-band inputs and not the ASI input, I checked on that so that'll be ok. I wish it had ASI out, but this version only has SDI and composite NTSC.

I do pro video work, and have gear that accepts SDI, so that's not a problem. Only catch is, since the DVB or DCII is decompressed and sent through SDI as an uncompressed 270 mbit stream, it is very difficult to capture it. There are solutions out there (the cheapest is BlackMagic's Decklink series, the lowest-end PCI card is $300). But you need a PC with a RAID array to keep up with the stream.

I'm certain that both the 4001 and 4200 were authorized, as they've been used before. But I'm not sure which transponders they were authorized for (I think the 4200 was used for Kentucky Educational TV) or if the authorization has expired.

FTArock, can you confirm that the Digitrans will probably not require authorization?

Thanks!

The Digitrans 7150T works right out of the box, does not require authorization for the clear DC2. It's a nice box, high quality built, locks to both DVB and DC2 QPSK 4:2:0/4:2:2
There is one currently listed on ebay at $650. As I know the list price of Digitrans 7150T is more than $2000.

Tron said:
The Digitrans I'm getting is the version that has the four L-band inputs and not the ASI input, I checked on that so that'll be ok. I wish it had ASI out, but this version only has SDI and composite NTSC.

I do pro video work, and have gear that accepts SDI, so that's not a problem. Only catch is, since the DVB or DCII is decompressed and sent through SDI as an uncompressed 270 mbit stream, it is very difficult to capture it. There are solutions out there (the cheapest is BlackMagic's Decklink series, the lowest-end PCI card is $300). But you need a PC with a RAID array to keep up with the stream.

I'm certain that both the 4001 and 4200 were authorized, as they've been used before. But I'm not sure which transponders they were authorized for (I think the 4200 was used for Kentucky Educational TV) or if the authorization has expired.

FTArock, can you confirm that the Digitrans will probably not require authorization?

Thanks!

The Digitrans should come in tomorrow or the next day. I got an exceptional deal on it, the only thing it lacks that would make it perfect is the ASI output that the Motorola 4800 version has. As I understand things, the Motorola 4800 has 4 L-band ins, ASI and SDI out, and composite NTSC out. The 4801 (same as the Digitrans 7150T) is the same minus the ASI out. And I believe there's a Motorola 4810 which has the ability to be genlocked.

Do you know if there's a kit to upgrade the 7150T to have an ASI output?

Tron said:
I have one General Instrument DSR-4200 Digicipher II (business-class receiver), which I have begun to figure out with the help of some web surfing. I have managed to get into the setup screens (which are somewhat hidden), where I can manually tune a transponder given the L-band frequency (for Ku, the downlink frequency minus 10750).

Those are tricky beasts. I use them to receiveGPTV (AMC3/TP14).

Here is a basic rundown of how to I get it to work:
1. Press option, then menu 3, then menu 4 (change password)
2. Use the password 996+Time
3. Choose to reset to defaults
4. Repeat step 1.
5. Repeat step 2.
6. Choose menu 2 and check those settings.
7. Choose menu 3.
8. Enter the L-Band frequency (TP freq - LNB LO freq)
Example (AMC3/TP14) 11984 - 10750 = 1234.000
9. Toggle down and disable the next setting
10. Choose Tune & Select.

In less than two minutes you should see the signal light come on.

Leave it there for about 30 seconds after it locks on.

11. Hit View

If "Processing your request" doesn't come on in a few seconds, hit the channel up once. Leave it there for a couple of minutes and let it remap the channels. Change a channel (on AMC3, you'll get 400, 410, 420, 430, 440, and 450 - although 450 never comes in) and see if you get a picture. I sometimes have to reauthorize this (Step 1 and 2 above, then "authorize") before getting a picture. And sometimes I have to do all this, then power it off, then back on before geting a picture. And sometimes I have to do all the above two or three times before getting a picture).

I have never been able to get a "free" DCII channel and have tried quite a few times. Best bet would probably be to get a DSR-922, which I may do in the future. Good Luck!!

Nope, there is no kit for upgrading the 7150T to get ASI out. I have few commercial DVB receivers that have both ASI/SPI outputs, so lacking of ASI output is not important to me. If you are looking for a receiver that has ASI out, drop me a PM, I will quote you the price.

Tron said:
The Digitrans should come in tomorrow or the next day. I got an exceptional deal on it, the only thing it lacks that would make it perfect is the ASI output that the Motorola 4800 version has. As I understand things, the Motorola 4800 has 4 L-band ins, ASI and SDI out, and composite NTSC out. The 4801 (same as the Digitrans 7150T) is the same minus the ASI out. And I believe there's a Motorola 4810 which has the ability to be genlocked.

Do you know if there's a kit to upgrade the 7150T to have an ASI output?

Thanks FTArock... the main reason I am interested in DVB ASI is that it can move the stream without decompressing it first, as SDI must do. However I'm not sure how I would go about capturing an ASI stream on a PC. I suppose that would require a capture card designed for that purpose.

The Digitrans 7150T came in today, but we've had bad weather in New Orleans so it'll probably be tomorrow before I can install the QPH Invacom LNB and put it to work on the 7150T...

n4bbq said:
Those are tricky beasts. I use them to receiveGPTV (AMC3/TP14).

I have never been able to get a "free" DCII channel and have tried quite a few times. Best bet would probably be to get a DSR-922, which I may do in the future. Good Luck!!

Did you have to contact GPTV and have them authorize your receiver? Or did it come from someone who had already had it authorized? I think my 4200 is authorized for the Kentucky Educational Television network, since the data corresponds with that transponder (channel numbers, etc.) and I purchased it from that state :)

Have you been able to get any other transponders (such as LPB, for example) on that receiver?

Thanks to everyone in this thread for the help, I'll be up and running with the Digitrans soon with a bit of luck (and cooperation from Mother Nature :D )

Enjoy your new receiver. It's a good unit. I am thinking to bid on the 7150T listed on ebay currently, search for item 5794323389 or Digitrans
$600 is still a good deal for those who can afford and expect to have a commercial grade receiver.
PCI-ASI cards are costly, $1000 and up. dektec and linear system make these cards.

Tron said:
Thanks FTArock... the main reason I am interested in DVB ASI is that it can move the stream without decompressing it first, as SDI must do. However I'm not sure how I would go about capturing an ASI stream on a PC. I suppose that would require a capture card designed for that purpose.

The Digitrans 7150T came in today, but we've had bad weather in New Orleans so it'll probably be tomorrow before I can install the QPH Invacom LNB and put it to work on the 7150T...

Yes, these seem to be up there with the best of broadcast receivers. There is also a Digitrans ASI-only on E-Bay, item # 5795218808. This is the ASI-input version though, so its really useless unless its slaved to a receiver.

Another interesting unit is the Motorola 4402x, of which there are several on E-Bay. These also get DVB, but not DVB 4:2:2. Do they come pre-authorized for FTA DCII?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cuba Mux Channels

need help choosing a receiver...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)