Tips on Satellite Finder

Status
Please reply by conversation.

smata67

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 26, 2005
I should be getting my $165 Coolsat Pro tomorrow and have a lead on a used 30" dish w/ older ASC321 for $50, will get into this full bore this weekend. I also ordered the SF-95 SatFinder for $11. I'm sure it comes with very detailed instructions in the best English possible, but are there any "tips and tricks" to its use I should be aware of? Also, can it be used with a universal lnb, I might get an Invacom or the cheaper .4 dB universal. BTW, why should I bother getting a universal, it seems like almost all FTA is linear and I do not have satellite at present. Would the .4 universal be a step up in signal capturing ability over the old ASC321? If it matters, I am looking to catch Hispasat 1C with this setup.

A universal LNBF is linear, just has a wider scanning range, since you are aiming for Hispasat 1 you should also be able to get Pas 9, some of the channels there will only work with a Universal LNBF, but your right I would not bother getting one unless you want some of the channels that need a Universal LNBF to be viewed.

An Invacom will work better than an ASC321, but only slightly better than the ASC321s (IMO) Where the Invacom seems better is with the very low signal quality channels.

Depending where you are in the country the $11 satellite meter may not be of much value. (and will not work with a Universal LNBF)

I am a strong supporter of satellite meters.. they will help you peak your dish 100% of the time.

It is, by far the most used tool I have for satellite work.

The Universal LNB problem isnt really a problem, as long as you send the LNB a 22kHz tone, the meter will work just perfectly. If your reciever is sending this, then great, otherwise, find a meter with a 22kHz inject.

I will say that again just for clarification.. A satellite meter WILL WORK with a Universal LNB, but since the LNB defaults to the low band, will only find low band signals (such as PAS9), but if you send the 22kHz tone to select the high-band, the meter WILL WORK perfectly.

If you know the sky well, the cheapo meters are as good as the manuals for some FTA receivers....and that ain't saying much :D

I had one of these and had more issues using it than if I eyeballed it and used the meter on the receiver. Also, those meters especially if you are trying to pick up G10 as an example...it might try to pick up Dish 119, since its stronger

Most new users who buy a satellite meter and a universal LNBF do not find out until they have everything setup that it will not work with the universal LNBF that is why I tell everyone it will not work, and I will continue to tell them this fact.

The best meter you can get is the signal strength meter on the receiver, I use a positive satellite identification meter (with 22khz tone)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Motek SG2100 Motor User Manual now available in PDF

Novice Help for SatCruiser DSR 101

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)