Timers, Auto Correction

The downstream of Dish is approximately 12 seconds behind real time/Dish clock time. This becomes a problem if a show ends with action right up to the very last second because when the clock turns to to :00 or :30 or what ever the end time is scheduled to be, the last 12 seconds is chopped of because the stream is 12 seconds behind real time.

One channel where this is NOT a problem is BBC America because BBC America's shows end with credits rolling and announcements about 30 - 15 seconds before the next minute, so the only thing that gets chopped of is the last seconds of credits and announcements. That's the only channel I can safely leave at 0 min late. For just about all the other channels I have to use 1 min late.

This problems has been discussed in other threads and really irritates some. I understand, but for now, the 3 tuners of my Hoppers have allowed me to not have the problems others do. I do think Dish should find some solution. However, if Dish were to change their EPG clock to match the sat stream, it would mess-up our timers for the OTA channels. So, for now, Dish's response if for you to set your timers to 1 min late.

Don't hold your breathe. Dish's DVRs have had this issue for almost 10 years (my experience, starting with Dish around '05).
Are they referring to when a show ends at full one or two minutes late as per shcedule. For example, my TiVo may have a show schedulaed to end at say 9:02Pm, but Dish shows it ending at 9:00PM. The show, in fact ends, intentionally late at 2 minutes as per guide on TiVo. Dish seems to never have such as show ending the 2 minutes later that TiVo shows it was scheduled to end. TiVo and Dish get EPG and metadata from the same source: Tribune.

Thanks about the info. I used to have it set to one minute late. But I think what would happen was say if two of the same show was back to back it would use two tuners and part of the first show would be on the second show. I believe one time while recording another show at the same time, I was not able to change channels because now all three tuners were being used til that minute was up.

Yes, that is what it does today, and I believe it is a BETTER solution than what it did before (or at least when I had ViP's), which was to end the first recording as per schedule--EVEN if you had it set for ONE minute late, and then start the next recording as per scheduled. This would result in the ending of the first show being on the NEXT recording. So, if some time later, you chose to watch the second show FIRST, and then the first show later, you would have deleted the recording that has the ending. The only way to guard against such a situation was to set the stop time for at least TWO (2) minutes early and THREE (3) minutes late. This would have each program in its entirety with a little of each program on the others recordings, but that did take TWO tuners for just a few minutes.

If you don't want to deal with all three tuners being used as the same time just for those few minutes during recordings and losing live TV if you are watching that, then for the "cable" channels such as History, Science, NatGeo, etc., try skipping one of those shows and letting the DVR record the repeat showing three hours later. This way you still have a tuner for live TV and will still record the episode a few hours later. If you did not know, anytime the first instance of your timer recording is NOT recorded because of lack of tuners or manually SKIPPING from your Daily Schedule, the DVR will automatically record the very next instance of that show's episode. Most of the "cable" channels REPEAT the same show's episodes three hours later (sometimes even a THIRD repeat block into the wee hours): a complete repeat of the last three hours of programming. If, in some situations, the repeat is not a few hours later, it is almost always repeated that same week, so the DVR will record at that next instance.

Are they referring to when a show ends at full one or two minutes late as per shcedule. For example, my TiVo may have a show schedulaed to end at say 9:02Pm, but Dish shows it ending at 9:00PM. The show, in fact ends, intentionally late at 2 minutes as per guide on TiVo. Dish seems to never have such as show ending the 2 minutes later that TiVo shows it was scheduled to end. TiVo and Dish get EPG and metadata from the same source: Tribune.
Someone (harshness, maybe) had a lot of detail about this (or lack of) on Dish's part. Dish, at best, rounds to 5-minute increments.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Dish does end late 1,2,3,5,10,15+ minutes.
Not the DVR overlap times, the beginning and end times for programs in the guide. Find a show that the network says runs from 8pm to 9:03pm - Dish's guide will say it runs from 8pm to 9:05pm (5-minute increments).

Someone (harshness, maybe) had a lot of detail about this (or lack of) on Dish's part. Dish, at best, rounds to 5-minute increments.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I agree with that. I wonder why TiVo can have it scheduled correctly at ONE or TWO minute after the hour end but no Dish.

Is that dish, or is that tribune?
I'm looking for an example or two to compare....

Yeah, I agree with that. I wonder why TiVo can have it scheduled correctly at ONE or TWO minute after the hour end but no Dish.
It's a design decision, in my speculative opinion. :D TiVo uses the value as-is. Dish takes the value and rounds it to the nearest 5-minute increment. Some things (code) that Dish uses sometimes appears to have quite a legacy and may be re-used in multiple receivers for years and years. To one extent, it's "stable" and works very well but there may be known shortcomings, such as this apparent 5-minute increment/rounding choice. They don't dare change it though....

Is that dish, or is that tribune?
One example and was easy to find.... Using Zap2It (part of Tribune Media) shows "The Cosby Show" on TVLand, tonight from 8:00pm to 8:36pm. Dish guide shows it going to 8:35pm.

Found a 2nd one as well. On Lifetime, at 8pm tonight, "Brittany Murphy Show" runs from 8:00pm to 10:01pm. Dish guide shows it ending at 10:00pm.

I'm looking for an example or two to compare....

It's a design decision, in my speculative opinion. :D TiVo uses the value as-is. Dish takes the value and rounds it to the nearest 5-minute increment. Some things (code) that Dish uses sometimes appears to have quite a legacy and may be re-used in multiple receivers for years and years. To one extent, it's "stable" and works very well but there may be known shortcomings, such as this apparent 5-minute increment/rounding choice. They don't dare change it though....

I've also had a theory that Tribune may have tiers of service to MVPD's with far more meta-data provided for more money, but I could be wrong. TiVo from day one developed the most sophisticaed search using MASSIVE amounts of meta-data compared to all other DVR makers. I bet that costs more to get from Tribune, but I may be wrong on that. Just an IMHO.

One thing I think IS design decision by MVPD's is that TiVo lists at least FOUR performers/actors in its EPG meta-data while Dish lists only THREE. I think there was some funny joke campaign that one of the FOUR hosts of a talk show was not listed, and Dish even put-up a false/funny EPG to make it up to the person. Was it Ellen Degeneris?

Unactivated ViP211k For Dish Pointing/Tweaking

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts