THROWBACK THURSDAY: When I actually had to try to convince you to connect to the internet

It wasn’t that long ago really. Back in 2015 I wrote this article. It talked about the interactive features, faster searching, and other benefits of connecting your DIRECTV equipment to the internet. It seems kind of silly now, because I don’t know of too many people who don’t connect. Of course there are those in RVs and boats who don’t have a real-time connection, but for those regular old residential users, it’s not exactly a tough sell.

It was a good idea then… it’s a better idea now​

Since that article ran, there’s been an even better reason to connect that home equipment to the internet. Using the free DIRECTV app you can actually watch programs from your DVR anywhere. All you need is an Genie DVR. If the program is available from DIRECTV’s servers it will generally stream from there so it’s more reliable, but if you’ve recorded something from a local channel, and it’s on your DVR, you can watch it on your phone or tablet.

With the HR54 and Genie 2 both having built-in Wi-Fi there’s really no reason not to connect to the internet. The “connected” icon is now part of the Genie menus on almost every screen, so you’ll know if things look good. It’s up there next to the clock. It’s even there on this very old screen capture.

geniekeep.png

Bottom line here: there’s a lot of benefit to connecting your DIRECTV system to the internet. If you’re in a boat or RV where that’s impossible, you can still use your DIRECTV system, but you’ll be missing out on a lot.

The post THROWBACK THURSDAY: When I actually had to try to convince you to connect to the internet appeared first on The Solid Signal Blog.

Continue reading...

What does an antenna’s boom do?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)