Status
Please reply by conversation.

linuxman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
North West of St. Louis, MO
Hi Guys,

I know that you have all posted on this subject many times before, but I will try to be succinct with equipment and questions.

I have a P4 3.0Ghz machine with Nvidia GeForce 4200 TI/128Mb video card with VGA/DVI/S-Video out and 512Mb RAM. (RAM can be raised if nescessary).
I have put an 80GB SATA drive in it, and already had 2 - 80GB IDE hard drives for extra storage. Has USB 2.0 built in. Fresh install of Windows XP-Pro.
Edit: Forgot to add that it has SB Live sound card with Dolby 5.1 out and standard stereo, or 4 speaker outputs.

I have about $100.00 (give or take a few $) to spend on a DVB-S card/box.

These are my objectives:
1. Don't need hardware blind-scan. Will be slaved to my Pansat 3500SD for both C/Ku signals. Software blind scan will be fine and may not be nescessary at all.
2. Would like to be able to Zoom in on parts of the screen while watching.
3. Would like to be able to record while watching for later burning onto DVD.
4. Would like to be able to stream to any computer on my LAN with video and audio.
5. Would like to be able to use Channel Master for Satellite and channel lists.
6. Would like to watch 4:2:2 HD on the computer monitor. Have HP-P1130 22" CRT with VGA only in. Could probably substitute monitor if nescessary. Have DVI to VGA adapter.
7. Would like to be able to watch SD Channels on my Toshiba 27" TV using S-Video.

Here are the questions:
1. What card/USB box in my price range comes with the above features?
2. Are some of the features I am looking for software features that can be used on any card/box?
3. What card/box comes with software that gives most of the features above?
4. What card/box is the easiest to install/setup and start using right off the shelf with most of the features I am looking for?

Most of you guys have much more experience than I at this, so I am relying on your experience to help guide me into this new part of FTA. :D

Thanks to all who comment.

Fred

Last edited:
You are looking at this wrong. It's up to the software to do the things you want. Not the card.

Too downconvert the video to the SDTV you'll need a VGA card with the appropriate video out ports.

As always... I suggest to everyone to make sure the device they purchase works with TSReader (a must for wild feed searchers) and DVBDream. I've tried several DVB apps and keep going back to these two.

Fred,

There are many choices for under $100, read up on the different cards and make your choice based on the Software support provided my various manufacturers… here are few links for you…

http://www.technisat.com/en/produkte/produkteview.php?kid=29,100

New Skystar 2 DVB-S Satellite PCI card with Remote Control $79.00USD

http://www.cyberestore.com/dvbs-satellite-cards-c-21.html

DVBdream Hardware Support
http://www.dvbdream.org/supported_devices.php

TSReader
Hardware Support
http://www.coolstf.com/tsreader/hardware.html

Last edited:
Okay then!

So what you are telling me Digiblur is that the card/USB box is just a tuner and controller. As long as it works with the software that does everything I want, which I assume TSReader and DVBDream do, it doesn't matter which card I buy within reason. I don't want to buy something that is junk.

Thanks for the links FordPerfect. I read through them.

Are you recommending the New Skystar 2 DVB-S Satellite PCI card with Remote Control for $79.00USD?

How about some of you other guys.

What experiences have you had with your cards/USB boxes?

Thanks in advance, Fred

Fred,

The link I provided had many items on sale for under $100…I can’t recommend anything since I have not installed any of the cards that I currently own…perhaps in few weeks.

TwinhanDTV STARBox USB DVB-S receiver with remote control $96.99USD

DVBWorld USB Digital satellite receiver $98.00USD

Hauppauge Nova-s DVB-S PCI Card with IR Remote Control $99.00USD

Thanks FordPrefect.

I sure wish you had them installed. Then you could tell me how well they worked. :D

Fred with your help as well as other members I will get my dish up and running then I will start testing verity of DVB cards as well as USB box's...

I would use the links below to decide, what hardware to purchase...as digiblur has suggested...

DVBdream Hardware Support
http://www.dvbdream.org/supported_devices.php

TSReader Hardware Support
http://www.coolstf.com/tsreader/hardware.html

I'd be kinda of fearful on the DVBWorld deal since quite a few people have had issues with TSReader with it.

I'm more of a wild feed person and watch my little bit of SD stuff off of my Fortec, but I've gotten spoiled and don't watch much SD anymore. I do all my blind scanning and most of dish moving with the Fortec. My Twinhan card is slaved to my Fortec. I love being able to sit on the couch with the Fortec remote, TV remote, and the wireless keyboard and mouse next to me. I'll scan a sat while watching it scan via the PIP on my TV. If I find something the Fortec can't "see", I'll flip to the video input from the HTPC. Punch in the freq and SR into TSReader and watch it on the big screen. The notebook with wi-fi is also a big plus on the couch for reporting feeds. I love my Twinhan card since I didn't need any other wires and other devices cluttering up my entertainment center.

I do all my blind scanning and most of dish moving with the Fortec. My Twinhan card is slaved to my Fortec. I love being able to sit on the couch with the Fortec remote, TV remote, and the wireless keyboard and mouse next to me. I'll scan a sat while watching it scan via the PIP on my TV. If I find something the Fortec can't "see", I'll flip to the video input from the HTPC. Punch in the freq and SR into TSReader and watch it on the big screen. The notebook with wi-fi is also a big plus on the couch for reporting feeds. I love my Twinhan card since I didn't need any other wires and other devices cluttering up my entertainment center.

What you are doing is exactly what I have in mind.

I also want to be able to watch the same thing on other computers in my LAN, and zoom in on at least one channel.

At this point in my research, I am leaning towards the Technisat Skystar 2 PCI 2.6. I would put in a little effort for the 2.3 version and get the blind scanning, except that I don't really need it, and I have read where there are some heat problems associated with it.

The Skystar 2 seems to be supported by both DVDream and TSReader. :D

Thanks, Fred

Wooo Hooo!!!:up :up :)

I got er running! :D

I got my TechniSat SkyStar 2 installed, and DvbDream, and I am in love.

I am using the older P4 3.0Ghz machine and the old Nividia GeForce 4 TI 4200 128Mb video card mentioned above. BTW this machine only has 533Mhz FSB.

I am watching 4:2:2 HD right now with about 50% CPU usage on C-Band digital using Elecard. Once I get some different codecs figured out, I think I can lower that usage some.

I was a little disappointed that I couldn't get 3720 H on G11 to scan in. I'm getting that TP at about 95% SQ. Those channels require a manual VID and AID in order for them to work.

I need to know along with scott98c in his thread DvbDream: How to edit channel list?

Any ideas on how to edit the channel and manually input the VID and AID?

Anyway, I am really happy right now!!!

Thanks to all of you who have written so much and in such detail on this part of the forum. I couldn't have done it with out the research here. :bow

Thanks,

Fred

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AltDVB and no lock with Cband

Create TV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)