"The Weather Channel" Localization Promise - Holding DISH's Feet to the Fire

eacalhoun

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 20, 2006
Morganton, NC
Once the "Weather Channel" carriage dispute back in May was resolved, a press release was issued which referenced a new "localized" TWC to begin launching this summer. Here's a verbatim portion of the release:

DISH Network and The Weather Channel Reach Agreement Includes development of new full-time weather forecasting services ENGLEWOOD, Colo. and ATLANTA, May 24, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX News Network/ --

DISH Network L.L.C. and The Weather Channel today announced that they have reached a multi-year agreement for continued distribution of The Weather Channel on DISH Network's programming platform. The deal provides for collaboration between both companies in developing state-of-the-art, full-time weather forecasting services designed specifically for satellite customers, including localized weather programming on DISH Network Ch. 213 (in addition to The Weather Channel's main feed on Ch. 214), interactive TV applications, as well as new Internet and mobile services. Deployment of the new services will begin this summer....

"DISH Network and their customers are extremely important to us, and maintaining and expanding our partnership is a high
priority for our company," said Mike Kelly, CEO and President of The Weather Channel. "DISH Network will now be carrying two
of our channels - The Weather Channel and a customized 24-hour, all-local weather information network - to provide even
better service to their customers..."

I intend to hold Dish's "feet to the fire" on their promise to offer a localized weather channel -- particularly since they canned Paul Douglas' The Weather Cast Channel after less than one week on the air. Also, the release says deployment will begin this summer -- Autumn begins in 2 weeks. It seems DISH thinks they can make empty promises hoping the viewers have short memories. I intend to keep reminding DISH of their pledge to reinstate channel 213 with a localized version of TWC. So before I fire off some emails to DISH, has anyone heard any updates regarding this? Have any deployments reached anyone that have yet to reach me?

Eric

Would be very nice to at least have somewhat regional if not local...but it is not suprising that they havent gotten it yet.

I get my weather on the internet. I got over the idea of getting it through my TV over a decade ago, when I went to satellite. I did not realize this was still important to people. I use weatherbug on my iPhone and get my updates quick, first thing in the morning.

Would be very nice to at least have somewhat regional if not local...but it is not suprising that they havent gotten it yet.

You can get your local weather from TWC now.

Go to channel 100. Wait for the interactive software to download. Select option 1 for news. Then select TWC. Then it will download current weather, forecasts and current radar based on your zip code.

I usually also get my weather over the net. Much easier and quicker.

just wrote it in other thread

Wow I'm glad I can copy & paste just asked this on the other thread.
It would take several (weatherstar computers) to do the entire US. Is that why it is taking so long? I assume that they will just be triggered by either tone on some other signal like the TWC is for cable now. Then the outputs are going to have to be keyed to one's location via zip?

Yea I get my weather online instead of having to wait around for the many commercials that grace the face of twc and besides you can get better local weather info than what twc can offer by going through weather underground.

Once the "Weather Channel" carriage dispute back in May was resolved, a press release was issued which referenced a new "localized" TWC to begin launching this summer. Here's a verbatim portion of the release:

DISH Network and The Weather Channel Reach Agreement Includes development of new full-time weather forecasting services ENGLEWOOD, Colo. and ATLANTA, May 24, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX News Network/ --

DISH Network L.L.C. and The Weather Channel today announced that they have reached a multi-year agreement for continued distribution of The Weather Channel on DISH Network's programming platform. The deal provides for collaboration between both companies in developing state-of-the-art, full-time weather forecasting services designed specifically for satellite customers, including localized weather programming on DISH Network Ch. 213 (in addition to The Weather Channel's main feed on Ch. 214), interactive TV applications, as well as new Internet and mobile services. Deployment of the new services will begin this summer....

"DISH Network and their customers are extremely important to us, and maintaining and expanding our partnership is a high
priority for our company," said Mike Kelly, CEO and President of The Weather Channel. "DISH Network will now be carrying two
of our channels - The Weather Channel and a customized 24-hour, all-local weather information network - to provide even
better service to their customers..."

I intend to hold Dish's "feet to the fire" on their promise to offer a localized weather channel -- particularly since they canned Paul Douglas' The Weather Cast Channel after less than one week on the air. Also, the release says deployment will begin this summer -- Autumn begins in 2 weeks. It seems DISH thinks they can make empty promises hoping the viewers have short memories. I intend to keep reminding DISH of their pledge to reinstate channel 213 with a localized version of TWC. So before I fire off some emails to DISH, has anyone heard any updates regarding this? Have any deployments reached anyone that have yet to reach me?

Eric
I wopuld not hold my breath.
TWC sucks sideways. The channel is nothing more than MSNBC II with a little weather sprinkled ( no pun intended) in. I used to watch TWC all the time. When it was a TRUE weather service. Now it is nothing more than NBCU's extension of the no-ratings POS MSNBC....
The on camera "talent" (term used very loosely) could not hold a candle to the pre NBCU days.
TWC is using on camera people that are better suited doing fluff pieces for some small market tv station. Preferably in places like Pocatello, Idaho.
During the height of the BP oil spill, Both in studio host Jen Carfagno and on site reporter Julie Martin used the terms "Icky" and Yukky" to describe the oil pollution on the beach in Alabama...Icky and yukky....I tuned to another channel in disgust.
Ok ,so I sort of hijacked a thread to do my TWC basheroo. Sorry.

Back on to the subject of the thread.....I have not seen nor read anything about Dish's idea of a localized type service. Suggest subscribing to MediaBiz to get updates. This site seems to be on top of the latest news regarding tv stuff.

It is my understanding that the "local on the 8's" type service seen on cable systems cannot be made available to satellite subscribers. So if you are looking for that to come to Dish, I am thinking no.
Those with knowledge in this area please chime in....

You can get your local weather from TWC now.

Go to channel 100. Wait for the interactive software to download. Select option 1 for news. Then select TWC. Then it will download current weather, forecasts and current radar based on your zip code.

I usually also get my weather over the net. Much easier and quicker.
Dish interactive? LOL.. I can have a bowl of cereal and two cups of coffee waiting for that stupid thing to load local weather.
The internet is so much faster and far more interactive.

Both

I do weather on the net. But I'm interested if they can pull off a weather on the 8's via our VIP's. As far as the Icky & Yukky; let's face it that's what "talent" is now a days. They say stupid things like that and are a bit less than professionals we think they should be. :eek:

Wow I'm glad I can copy & paste just asked this on the other thread.
It would take several (weatherstar computers) to do the entire US. Is that why it is taking so long? I assume that they will just be triggered by either tone on some other signal like the TWC is for cable now. Then the outputs are going to have to be keyed to one's location via zip?
the days of "weather star" computers are long gone..all u need now is a simple application

Compare your Weather on the 8's Forecast on the TWC with the Weather Forecast on one of your local station's website and in my case you will find a huge difference. TWC local forecast has had a history in my opinion of being 2-4 hours behind my local station's online forecast.

I don't see how Weather on the 8's can ever be a deal breaker. My new Sammy LCD has Accuweather app that I can just click and get my local weather forecast too.

I only use TWC when I want to see video and the big picture of weather patterns; for local news, I use NWS and TWC online, and for good really localized weather, Weather Underground.

They have no problem doing local weather on The Weather Network in Canada. Where the national tempretures scroll along the bottom like we have on satellite, you just press a button the screen and within about two seconds your local forecast shows up. It can be down. They can do a local weather on the 8's.

1000.2 Install Question - Extra Dish for 129W Possible?

Recheck Echostar 15 Signal Strenght Increase

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)