The real reason for Phelps's 12,000 calorie diet

USA Swimming, the nation's governing body for competitive swimming, said it was withdrawing financial support for Phelps and barring him from competition during the period of his "reprimand."

"This is not a situation where any anti-doping rule was violated, but we decided to send a strong message to Michael because he disappointed so many people, particularly the hundreds of thousands of USA Swimming-member kids who look up to him as a role model and a hero," they said in a statement.

Phelps suspended from competition, dropped by Kellogg - CNN.com

I'm kinda suprised about the suspension, over a photograph.

I wonder if it is posturing type of suspension. I mean is there any real major competition within the next 3-6 months? IF there was, I do not follow this sport enough to know there is one.
Yeah, it's probably just a token suspension. I figured he might have some trouble with sponsors but not with swimming's governing bodies. But, I guess if you can get a speeding ticket in the mail (with a photo of your car included), anything's possible....

Unbelievable. If there was a picture of him drinking a beer, there wouldn't even be a story. It's time for this country to come to its senses and decriminalize marijuana. USA Swimming and Kellogg's have to be PC because he broke the law, but the punishment does not fit the crime.

Unbelievable. If there was a picture of him drinking a beer, there wouldn't even be a story. It's time for this country to come to its senses and decriminalize marijuana. USA Swimming and Kellogg's have to be PC because he broke the law, but the punishment does not fit the crime.

Good point. It's the whole "what about the children that look up to him" issue more than a PC issue...at least IMHO. This is the kinda of thing that happens when we push athletes to be role models. These guys are not allowed to make mistakes...and when they do, they get nailed to cross, so to speak.

Let me tell ya, the media now is gonna dig deeper because NOW he is not so pristine as he once was...they are gonna think, "YEAH....he HAS to have more...!":mad:

When I worked in this crappy field, the reporters use to tell me, 'we like rags to riches and role model stories because they make us feel good and it sells....a little....BUT, we LOVE the stories of a hero going down in flames because THAT IS A SCOOP. That is the story that makes you standout....That is the story that is gonna sell like crazy!"

Good point. It's the whole "what about the children that look up to him" issue more than a PC issue...at least IMHO. This is the kinda of thing that happens when we push athletes to be role models. These guys are not allowed to make mistakes...and when they do, they get nailed to cross, so to speak.

Let me tell ya, the media now is gonna dig deeper because NOW he is not so pristine as he once was...they are gonna think, "YEAH....he HAS to have more...!":mad:

When I worked in this crappy field, the reporters use to tell me, 'we like rags to riches and role model stories because they make us feel good and it sells....a little....BUT, we LOVE the stories of a hero going down in flames because THAT IS A SCOOP. That is the story that makes you standout....That is the story that is gonna sell like crazy!"

It just seems like phony outrage caused by the need to be PC.....

I have no issue with what he did. So he smoked a little herb, who cares.

The 20-something year old kid has been in the gym and pool training his ass off for the Olympics. He went to Beijing, broke all sorts of records. In the process he's missed out on just being a kid and hanging out. Essentially, he's just making up for lost time and blowing off a little steam.

Smoke on Mike!

I have no issue with what he did. So he smoked a little herb, who cares.

The 20-something year old kid has been in the gym and pool training his ass off for the Olympics. He went to Beijing, broke all sorts of records. In the process he's missed out on just being a kid and hanging out. Essentially, he's just making up for lost time and blowing off a little steam.

Smoke on Mike!

I couldn't have said it better myself! I just don't buy the whole premise that "he made a mistake." Getting a DUI would have been making a mistake. Getting into a bar-room brawl would have been making a mistake. The only mistake he made was allowing himself to be photographed :)

I couldn't have said it better myself! I just don't buy the whole premise that "he made a mistake." Getting a DUI would have been making a mistake. Getting into a bar-room brawl would have been making a mistake. The only mistake he made was allowing himself to be photographed :)

Yeah but remember, legally speaking, he IS breaking the law. I mean there is no such thing as being a little pregnant when it comes to this....either you did or didn't. I have no issues with that because as HDD said, he sacrificed his "have fun years" to train...nothing wrong with letting loose a bit.;)

Yeah but remember, legally speaking, he IS breaking the law. I mean there is no such thing as being a little pregnant when it comes to this....either you did or didn't. I have no issues with that because as HDD said, he sacrificed his "have fun years" to train...nothing wrong with letting loose a bit.;)

Yes, the law is the law.

I know...I get it. I guess I think the law should be changed :) (I know, way off topic)

Speeding is against the law too. Where was the outrage and disappointment and dropped endorsements when LBJ got pulled over doing 100 MPH? It was nowhere to be found.....in fact, he picked up a new endorsement with State Farm Insurance! :)

I equate what Phelps did to driving 75 in a 65, technically breaking the law, but really no big deal.

I think the sheriff in South Carolina who wants to pursue criminal charges is a joke, he really has nothing better to do?

A television station in Columbia, S.C., is reporting that local law enforcement officials have made eight arrests in connection with a house party where Olympian Michael Phelps' photo may have been taken with a marijuana bong in his hands. Seven of the arrests were for drug possession and the eighth was for drug distribution, according to the WIS-TV (Channel 10) report.

WIS reporter Jack Kuenzie also reported that the bong's owner had offered the device for sale on EBay for as much as $100,000. Kuenzie said that the Sheriff's Department now has the device.

Arrests reported -- but not confirmed -- in Michael Phelps bong case | The Fabulous Forum | Los Angeles Times

Michael Phelps a Narc??

Eight people not named Michael Phelps have now been arrested in in Richland County on Weed charges.

Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott is determined to stomp out crime in his towns, one apathetic slacker at a time. After saying he wanted to arrest Phelps for "toking" a "doobie" in his jurisdiction, Sheriff Lott has been criticized as a mixed-up attention whore for unfairly singling out Phelps due to his fame. So in order to prove everyone wrong, he's started rounding up stupid college kids and teaching them a lesson or something.

"We've now learned that since investigators began trying to build a case, they've made eight arrests: seven for drug possession and one for distribution. These are arrests that resulted as the sheriff's department served search warrants.

We've also learned that the department has located and confiscated that bong. Sources say the owner of the bong was trying to sell it on eBay for as much as $100,000. The owner, who wasn't even at the party, is one of the eight now charged."
WIS News 10 - Columbia, South Carolina | Eight arrested in Michael Phelps case

Sad and Pathetic. I almost can't believe it. Arresting kids for smoking weed a full week after the fact... The sheriff sounds like a real A-hole.

NBA ALL-STAR Weekend: 2009

Here is a real approach to attacking steroid use in baseball

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)