The NL East

This is just a wee-bit topic from the NL East, but it's baseball related;

Paul, when you were growing up in the 1970s and early 1980s, how frustrating was it to see the American League lose in the All-Star Game on an annual basis?

From 1964 to 1982, the American League went 1-17:eek: in the Midsummer Classic.

Nowadays, the AL has been able to brag, but for a long time, they were like the Detroit Lions in Midsummer Classics.

What do you read the Sports Encyclopedia or something in your free time??

Opening Day at Citi Field: The House That You and I Built

Citi Field opened to the public for the first time this past Sunday with a Big East college baseball game between St. John's University and Georgetown University. The contest drew 22,997 fans, the seventh-largest crowd to ever watch an NCAA baseball game.

The first time the Mets get to play in their new stadium is during a two-game exhibition series against the Boston Red Sox at Citi Field Friday, April 3 at 6:10 p.m. and Saturday, April 4 at 1:10 p.m.

The Mets begin their 2009 regular season April 6 in Cincinnati.

citifielddebut.jpg

You know what? Like it or not, they've been built. And the baseball rat in me is gonna really enjoy watching games from these two new palaces all season long to see just how they play. ;)

God only knows getting rid of Shea was good for the game. The Mets and their guests no longer have to play in a toilet.

Yankee Stadium had long been on the "least favored places to visit" by major league players. It had an undesirable odor to it that no one could really put their finger on. It was just old and had to go. What will be really interesting is if any of the "Yankee Legend" is lost now that they are no longer playing in Babe's Place. This may become "just another ballpark" on the schedule.

We shall see....

You know what? Like it or not, they've been built. And the baseball rat in me is gonna really enjoy watching games from these two new palaces all season long to see just how they play. ;)

God only knows getting rid of Shea was good for the game. The Mets and their guests no longer have to play in a toilet.

Yankee Stadium had long been on the "least favored places to visit" by major league players. It had an undesirable odor to it that no one could really put their finger on. It was just old and had to go. What will be really interesting is if any of the "Yankee Legend" is lost now that they are no longer playing in Babe's Place. This may become "just another ballpark" on the schedule.

We shall see....

Maybe it was those "ghosts" of legends passed.:D

I will watch and attend my usually 15-20 games this season, but the Mets have gotten to me in recent years. I do not now how heatedly I am into this season and I also see the Phillies as being very powerful again this season. Apparently, Sports Illustrated disagrees with Mets82 and myself:

In their upcoming baseball preview, Sports Illustrated will predict that the Mets will win the NL East; after which the they will defeat the Dodgers in the first round of the playoffs, then defeat the Cubs in the NLCS, all culminating in a World Championship against the Angels.

I will watch and attend my usually 15-20 games this season, but the Mets have gotten to me in recent years. I do not now how heatedly I am into this season and I also see the Phillies as being very powerful again this season. Apparently, Sports Illustrated disagrees with Mets82 and myself:

In their upcoming baseball preview, Sports Illustrated will predict that the Mets will win the NL East; after which the they will defeat the Dodgers in the first round of the playoffs, then defeat the Cubs in the NLCS, all culminating in a World Championship against the Angels.

I agree with my fellow Mets fan, cjwct. I dont think the Mets will be as good as SI says they will be but what the hell, anything is possible, right? Also, cjwct, do you know theres an SI Jinx when they put teams on the cover. I think 2006, the Tigers were on the cover and the Angels were on it, last year I think so I dont feel to great about the Mets winning it. But what the hell, the Mets cant do any worse then they have done the past 2 yrs. OR CAN THEY?:mad:

Mets82 . . . here's the interesting thing to note: the bp blew what 28,29 saves last year . . . that is scary because think of the record we would have had, the division lead, etc. . . . we do not have any major changes this year, but we have some nice upgrades . . . castillo is looking better, murphy will be solid as a hitter, and beltran wil be sitting comfortably at batting 5th; now with the bp secure, hey this may be the run away season . . . 1 week to go . . . growing excited!

SI ..... sheeesh.
Yes, they say that the Mets will win it all this year, yet ... put a yankee on the cover with the Mets in a small cut out ...
What a lack of respect.
I have never liked SI and this must be part of the reasoning.

Jimbo

Mets82 . . . here's the interesting thing to note: the bp blew what 28,29 saves last year . . . that is scary because think of the record we would have had, the division lead, etc. . . . we do not have any major changes this year, but we have some nice upgrades . . . castillo is looking better, murphy will be solid as a hitter, and beltran wil be sitting comfortably at batting 5th; now with the bp secure, hey this may be the run away season . . . 1 week to go . . . growing excited!

Ok, that was last season's excuse. What happened in '07? On paper, and hoping the bullpen is fixed. it should be a runaway, right? Why do I get the feeling that somehow there will be another meltdown? Maybe three times is a charm...

Ok, that was last season's excuse. What happened in '07? On paper, and hoping the bullpen is fixed. it should be a runaway, right? Why do I get the feeling that somehow there will be another meltdown? Maybe three times is a charm...

Mets are fully aware about meltdowns thus why schedule changes brings Houston to CitiField to end the season; 2 seasons against the Marlins was enough for Wilpon and Minaya . . . sometimes a team just has your number!

What do we know about Mr. Stokes from the Mets ?
He was rumored to be going to Detroit earlier in the week, but talks have since broke down.

Jimbo

What do we know about Mr. Stokes from the Mets ?
He was rumored to be going to Detroit earlier in the week, but talks have since broke down.

Jimbo

According to Jon Paul Morosi of the Detroit Free Press, the Tigers have had serious talks recently with the Mets about reliever Brian Stokes; however, any deal fell apart when Stokes became likely to make their roster.

Morosi mentions Tigers infielder/outfielder Ryan Raburn would've been a part of the deal.

With Joel Zumaya heading to the disabled list to start the season, the Tigers are looking for relief help with just over one week to go until the start of the season, says Morosi. Along with Rayburn, the Tigers have put outfielder Marcus Thames on the trading block

According to Jon Paul Morosi of the Detroit Free Press, the Tigers have had serious talks recently with the Mets about reliever Brian Stokes; however, any deal fell apart when Stokes became likely to make their roster.

Morosi mentions Tigers infielder/outfielder Ryan Raburn would've been a part of the deal.

With Joel Zumaya heading to the disabled list to start the season, the Tigers are looking for relief help with just over one week to go until the start of the season, says Morosi. Along with Rayburn, the Tigers have put outfielder Marcus Thames on the trading block

Thames is NO longer on the trade block, with Sheff gone, Thames will be the DH along with Jeff Larish

The Tigers NOT pursuing a closer this year was a huge shocker to me. From what I saw, that Fernando Rodney was awful for them last year.

Florida Marlins keeping their games off MLB Extra Innings?

Usain Bolt is the best athlete in the world !!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)