Technical Help, BluRay on PS3

FlyingJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Bexley, Ohio
I am watching BluRay movies using my PS3 to my Panny Projector

Question: When watching a BluRay movie, August Rush for instance (by the way, really thought this was a hell of a good movie, reccomend it) I see on the back it states 1080p High Definition 16x9 2.4:1 does thin in fact mean that I can watch it in 16x9. Watched it in 2.4:1, could not figure out how to get it into 16x9. Is it possible, would it be a setting on the projector or the PS3 if it is possible. Appreciate any help!

...I see on the back it states 1080p High Definition 16x9 2.4:1...
Although I don't have a PS3, this issue has nothing to do with the player and/or display.
For some reason (have never seen it explained by any insider) both hidef formats encode the whole 16:9 frame
regardless of whether it has and how big the black areas above/below the frame is...
Some bandwidth is wasted to encode this (around 300kbps, I think) but it can't be helped.

If your player and/or TV has a zoom function, you might be able to watch it in 16:9.
For a 2.4 OAR movie, you'll lose 13% of the picture on each side.

Diogen.

I am watching BluRay movies using my PS3 to my Panny Projector

Question: When watching a BluRay movie, August Rush for instance (by the way, really thought this was a hell of a good movie, reccomend it) I see on the back it states 1080p High Definition 16x9 2.4:1 does thin in fact mean that I can watch it in 16x9. Watched it in 2.4:1, could not figure out how to get it into 16x9. Is it possible, would it be a setting on the projector or the PS3 if it is possible. Appreciate any help!

Most hdtvs are refered to as being 16x9 (for every 16 inches accross you have 9 inches down) vs 4x3 (standard tvs 4 inches accross vs 3 inches down). So when the movie is stating that it is 16x9 that means that the movie is set up to be viewed on a 16x9 ratio screen. The 2.4 to 1 is the actual movie ratio. This is the picture that will be displayed on your HDTV. So for every 2.4 inches across you get 1 inch down and on a 16x9 screen were the actual ratio is somewhere near 1.78 to 1 you will end up with black bars above and below the screen when the movie is displayed in a higher ratio.

Differant manufacturers do not always have a perfect 16x9 ratio screen. In addition when you are talking about the size of the screen you are always refering to the diagonal measurement of the screen. When movies were shown in SD on a 4x3 set they chose what part of the each frame to show so that it could fill your screen. You lost alot of the picture that way.

With HDTVs we are back to viewing movies as the studio intended them to be viewed, albeit with black lines sometimes. As Diogen stated, you can always press the zoom on your HDTV to fill up more of your screen but you will loose some of the picture depending on the ratio of the movie and how many zoom settings your HDTV and/or BD player might have. Playing a movie for 2 or three hours with black lines will not hurt your HDTV.

Why Blu-ray will be the next DVD

Next Warner Blu-ray Coffee Book: Natural Born Killers?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts