Switching from WiFi Adaptor to ethernet cable

dwarren2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
Rochester, NY Region
Right now I'm using the Netgear Wifi adapter with my sling. Going on vacation and am thinking of hard wiring the connection with ethernet cable since no one will be home. Anything special I need to do?

You also need to go into the menu and reset the connection since it will be a different IP address.. You can also due this by unplugging the receiver. waiting 10 seconds and plugging it back in.. It will also reset the connection and find the new IP address..

Make sure you've set up your router to forward the Sling port (5001?) if the Slingbox gets a new IP address. It probably wouldn't hurt to go through the network setup just to be sure.

I would recommend setting up static DHCP if your router supports it. That way when your box asks for an ip ... it will always get the same IP.

What I don't know.. is if the wireless dongle has its own mac ... if it does, then you have the problem of needing to make sure the wireless dongle is *not* plugged in when you setup the DHCP for the MAC of the receiver... and that you leave the wireless dongle unplugged while gone.

Doing Static DHCP eliminates much of the network problems when it comes to devices losing connection and getting a changed ip ... ie the "forward your port 5101" ... UPnP works ... but doesn't always work flawlessly.

Blockbuster vs. Netflix

DishOnline - Firefox 4.0.1 - Widevine Media plugin updated

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)