Switching dishes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

windbreaker

Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
arizona
I have a job that keeps me away from home (260 miles worth) for two weeks at a time. During my time away I live in company provided housing. It comes with standard def Direct TV. The dish for this setup is an 18x20 with triple LNB's pointed at I believe 101,110, and 119. At home I have an HR24 and a Slimline dish pointed at whatever birds are used for HD programing (sorry , I'm at work right now so I cant pull the setup menu to see exactly which birds). I would like to carry my HR24 to work with me and hook it to the 18x20 dish. I would disconnect the standard def receiver that is on the company account and hook my HR24 on my personal account in its place. This would give me the DVR function which would be really cool. I know that I would probably not get any HD but I dont care becuz the TV set is an old 480 CRT. Does this sound like something that is doable. I know I would have to change the dish designation in the setup menu. My other (expensive) option is to mount a Slimline next to the 18x20 on the roof. What do you think?

Wouldn't bother with the Slimline. Odds are there is no HD programming to be had. Would do you no good with that TV anyway. As you mentioned the HR24 would have to be reconfigured for the dish present and changed to single tuner vs. dual if there is only one line accessible. If there is another live jack in another room you could run a line from there to your receiver and leave it in the dual tuner mode. I don't believe that dish configuration will require the use of a B Band converter..the configuration screen will tell you.

Last edited:
Only reason I would do a slimline set up is so you can record in HD in case you want to take it home and watch your recordings in HD.

The 18x20 reads the 101, 110, 119

A slimline 3 (has 1 "eye") and reads the 99, 101, 103 and the slimline 5 adds the 110, and 119

All HD programming comes off the 99 and 103

In my area all SD programming comes off the 101 and an 18x20 is for the most part just used for those who get Mas Progamming (spanish package)

Other advantage to changing dish is not doing a "repeat satellite set up" every time you move the receiver.

BTW, you will most likely lose locals when you move the receiver and you will lose all HD only channels.

However, one of the advantages of a VR is being able to set it record shows while ou are away.
Why not just set it to record shows and watch them when you get home.

The 18x20 dish is a non-swm system. The hr24 on a non-swm system requires two cables to be connected to a 18x20 dish. You would have to run a second cable from the dish to hr24 if the room has only one sat cable. You can not use a splitter or separator between the dish and hr24. If a switch is being used, then the cables would have to be connected from the switch to the hr24.

The receiver could be damaged while in transport to and from locations. If it is damaged, you would pay to return the damaged receiver if you don't have a protection plan.

Or it could be stolen from your vehicle or your co. housing. You will pay, in full, for a stolen receiver. A hr24 is $500+.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

What kind if encoder does the HR24 use?

New D* sub how does the DVR guide identify new shows

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)