Switching between Ku & C

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SeattleSailor

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2004
Hi all,
I've got a Satwork 3688 with SG2100 motor drive, works fine. Since it was sunny last week, on a whim I pulled the cable off of the Ku dish and stuck it on my old C-band BUD that's been sitting idle for years. Damned if it didn't work also! Started looking around and decided maybe I'd like to have a play with FTA on C-band. But I'd rather not have to manually swap the coax between the Ku dish and the BUD each time. My question: how can I add a switch? The 3688 is Diseqc 1.2. BUT...does my Diseqc SG2100 mess up the ability to also use a switch? Can I put a 2-way Diseqc switch AFTER the SG2100 and BEFORE the Ku LNB, and then run another cable to the BUD's LNB? I.e. one input of switch is from Ku, other input is from BUD, and output goes into house. I believe this is the purpose of the switch but I don't know if it can be used on a system that also has the motor drive. Alternatively, my user manual for the 3688 also says it can handle a 22K switch and a 12V switch - are these a different method of controlling a switch not involving the Diseqc?

And before it is pointed out, yes, I realize that my Satwork isn't going to drive my BUD positioner. I'll have to dig out my old 36V BUD drive from the attic, or leave the BUD locked on one satellite.

thanks
SS

I guess you seen the below....

The problem with the 3688 is you can only choose one DiSEqC function at a time.
motor or Port1 or port2...... There is no way to command the DiSEqC 2 way switch after the motor as far as I know, hopefully some other C-banders familiar with the 12v and 22khz switch method will help us out.

http://www.dmsiusa.com/add_a_receiver.htm

Thanks Peter. Yeah, I'm trying to add in the C-band without losing the motor drive on the Ku band dish.

...in my simplistic mind, I'm hoping that maybe the Diseqc and the 22KHz switch are analogous to the Ethernet port and the serial port of my computer: they can be doing different functions for different things without interfering with one another. Is this true?

I was going to say that but though "thats too low tech." But thats what I use to toggle between KU and DBS LNB, good idea Ken2400!

SeattleSailor said:
Hi all,
I've got a Satwork 3688 with SG2100 motor drive, works fine. Since it was sunny last week, on a whim I pulled the cable off of the Ku dish and stuck it on my old C-band BUD that's been sitting idle for years. Damned if it didn't work also! Started looking around and decided maybe I'd like to have a play with FTA on C-band. But I'd rather not have to manually swap the coax between the Ku dish and the BUD each time. My question: how can I add a switch? The 3688 is Diseqc 1.2. BUT...does my Diseqc SG2100 mess up the ability to also use a switch? Can I put a 2-way Diseqc switch AFTER the SG2100 and BEFORE the Ku LNB, and then run another cable to the BUD's LNB? I.e. one input of switch is from Ku, other input is from BUD, and output goes into house. I believe this is the purpose of the switch but I don't know if it can be used on a system that also has the motor drive. Alternatively, my user manual for the 3688 also says it can handle a 22K switch and a 12V switch - are these a different method of controlling a switch not involving the Diseqc?

And before it is pointed out, yes, I realize that my Satwork isn't going to drive my BUD positioner. I'll have to dig out my old 36V BUD drive from the attic, or leave the BUD locked on one satellite.

thanks
SS

Why not get a c/ku feedhorn and lnbs and slave the dvb box to the analog or a 4dtv?

I think I'll end up with A/B. Although like Peter says, not very hi tech. So what is the purpose of the various type of switches (diseqc, 22K, 12V) if you can only use one of them?

I could go as tdti1 says, but I'd rather not be beholden to the BUD. I've got acerage but it's still an eyesore and I'm ready to chop it down, as I promised the wife back a year ago...but until then I'll occassionally use it to see whatsdare.

you can use all 3 in a combination, but not two of the same

As an example, I have an old DirecTv Phase II switch. It has 4 inputs (2 at 0k and 2 at 22k). I hooked 4 different lines for my FTA system into those. There are 2 outputs..I connected both of those into a 2x1 diseqc switch

so in my setup screen I have
dish 1--port 1 0k
dish 2--port 1 22k
dish 3--port 2 0k
dish 4--port 2 22k

Yes a 4x1 switch would work, but I didnt bhave one around...so I improvised :)

Iceberg - this sounds promising! Are you saying that it IS ok to put a 22K switch and leave the disequ HH motor on the same coax and they'll coexist?

Iceberg is forgetting you have a 3688 I fear, you can only have one switch setting at a time with the 3688, and motor is one of them. What do you think Iceberg?

ah crap...thats right

Sailor, my setup thingy there is not including the motor. I tried to use the Phase II switch with the motor and it wouldnt work

Status
Please reply by conversation.

The Foxnet Channel On Mpeg2

Looking for a better analog reciever / BUD positioner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts