SWiM, any truth to this?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I can't wait until the HR34 comes out. Sometimes I want to record 4 shows at once.
thats why I have 2 DVR's. For $6 a month I cant go wrong.

If my HDTV had enough inputs I could just put another HD DVR on top of it and do it that way.
they make HDMI switchers and even component switchers. I have 2 R22's (HD DVR) set up to my Panasonic HDTV. One mainly is used to record series shows and the other is the one I usually watch TV on and do the "oh lets record this one time" programs.

If SWM is just a giant band stack setup putting all sats and polarities on the coax at the same time then why is it limited to 8 tuners? With amps it should be unlimited.

I thought SWM gave every tuner it's own dedicated freq range to use between the LNBF and the tuner and that is why it's limited to 8.

If SWM is just a giant band stack setup putting all sats and polarities on the coax at the same time then why is it limited to 8 tuners? With amps it should be unlimited.

I thought SWM gave every tuner it's own dedicated freq range to use between the LNBF and the tuner and that is why it's limited to 8.

Looks like I thought correctly.

SWM works with the connected IRD’s to provide only the specific content the IRD’s tuner is requesting.

The designated channel for each tuner contains the specific programming each tuner is requesting.

Tuners are assigned their individual channel during the IRD’s programming guide acquisition phase

205bau.jpg

Check out the attached PDF for more details.

Attachments

• SWM - Integrated LNB-ModuleTraining.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 131
Last edited:
The SWiM LNB has a SWM8 "multiswitch" built into it. It is capable of driving up to 8 TUNERS (not 8 boxes, DVRs count as 2 tuners). The SWiM LNB is NOT expandable. If you wish to have more than 8 tuners, you would then swap to a NON-SWiM SlimLine 3 or 5 LNB. The 4 leads coming from the dish can feed a single SWM8, SWM16, or SWM32 "multiswitch" directly, or can be split to any number or combination of SWM8's, SWM16's and SWM32's (each of which has an 8, 16, or 32 tuner limit). I'm not sure what the maximum limit is, but this is how they feed hotels and apartment buildings from a single dish.

I'm interested to see if the new D* Receivers will have the 29 volts for SWiM built into the boxes.

LOL, That ain't going to happen, just look at the changes from the H24 to the H25. They took away voltage-out on that one completely.
Whether it is internal or external, it doesn't really make a whole lot of difference.

I'm wondering that with the problems they had trying to make the C30 Energy Star compliant if they won't eventually convert the C30 into an Ethernet device as opposed to a DECA device. All other RVU devices will be Ethernet or Wi-fi.

I'm wondering that with the problems they had trying to make the C30 Energy Star compliant if they won't eventually convert the C30 into an Ethernet device as opposed to a DECA device. All other RVU devices will be Ethernet or Wi-fi.
DirecTV's entire service fleet of techs (including contractors) are geared to work with coax. I honestly don't think they're going to depart from DECA because it would mean having to re-tool and train all the techs to work with UTP as well as coax.

DirecTV's entire service fleet of techs (including contractors) are geared to work with coax.
I understand the apologist party line, but since these techs are supposed to be connecting RVU clients of all kinds and most of them probably won't be C30s, they're going to have to suck it up.

The C30 is a stop-gap measure by most accounts and will primarily be desirable if RVU substantially fails in the marketplace.

Then again, the CE manufacturers could all start putting MoCA into their devices next year but I'm dubious about that happening.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lobbying for HD local channels

Realigning Dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)